Computer Randomly Shuts Off

nathanj89

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Firstly I hope I am posting this in the right section and Its finally nice to be part of this community.

Down to my little but very annoying problem.

Here is my step

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 4600 64 X2 Dual Core
RAM: 2GB
Graphices Nvidia 8500GT
PSU: CIT 450W

My problem is that during more heavy duty tasks such as playing world of warcraft or backing up my dvd collection/encoding or even just random times. My computer decides to cut off.

I have not just come here I have done some research into this and I got it down to 3 things. The PSU, The CPU (thermal paste reapplication, making sure the cpu cooler was on right) and the motherboard.

Firstly I reapplied thermal paste to the cpu and put the cooler back on night and secure. The problem still occured, then i brought a psu (the one mentioned above). Installed it and just a moment ago I believe the computer cutt off again because when i came back into the room while installing updates the computer was turned off.

I am going mad here I have been trying to figure out how to fix this problem. Please are there any recommendations or help?

Lastly I thought this may help using Speedfan

My CPU sits around 38-44C while sitting idle and when I am ripping a dvd to backup it but especially when encoding it reaches around 75-80C at most.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Are you overclocking? Are you running with the stock CPU cooler?

My first guess is that you have an inadequate PSU.

Try to borrow a known good PSU. Or better yet, see if you can test your PSU in another working system. If you cannot do that, try to borrow a DMM to measure the voltages. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer.