Sign in with
Your question

Seeking Advice

Last response: in Systems
January 3, 2010 4:51:38 AM

Hello All.

I came here 4 years ago with some questions on a build I was doing at the time. The advice I received here went a long way in some of the final decision making. As such I want to thank the community for its support when I first built this rig. At the time I did not think I would need to return here for anymore advice for some awhile but alas times do change rather quickly in this enviroment. Here is what my rig consists of :

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core S939 Manchester 2Ghz

MoBo - ASUS A8N-SLI ATX NFORCE4-SLI S939 DDR 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E 3PCI SATA RAID

VC - EVGA E-GEFORCE 7900 GT KO 500MHZ PCI-E 256MB 256BIT 1.5GHZ GDDR3 Dual DVI HDTV

HD - SeaGate Barracuda 250GB 7200.9 8MB 11MS SATA2

Ram - Kingston HyperX PC3200 2GB 2X1GB DDR400

PSU - stock 450w unit that came with the Antec Sonata II case

Its sole purpose in life is for gaming as my ability to do anything else with this contraption is very limited. It has served me well over the past 4 years. I was a hardcore Planetside player and found this rig a huge improvement over the other PC the wife still uses. I have discovered that Blizzard is coming out with Diablo III and having played Diablo II for almost 4 years I am eager to get my hands on the latest chapter in that series whaen it comes out. However I dont think this rig will come close in exploitig the eye-candy that I'm sure is to come with the new game.

My question to the masses that come here to help us newbs is what would you change? Can I still get a few more gaming years out of this rig or is it time to scrap it all? Since the endevor at the time cost me $1800 I'm not in a rush to do anything at all but I do understand progress and I will want to enjoy the eye-candy that Blizzard will be dishing out soon

Thank You all for your time. Looking forward to some helpful insight

CaptStress

More about : seeking advice

January 3, 2010 5:38:50 AM

if not now, then very very soon
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 3, 2010 7:41:51 AM

Well if you have a budget, we can help you build a nice rig! The 7900gt is a good GPU, but by today's standards it's not that great. I have a 7900gs and it works for most things, but with the newer demanding games, the GPU is in dire need of upgrading. A good gaming rig can go for $600-$1200 range, depending on what you can afford. Anything built now will blow away what you currently have.
m
l
Related resources
January 3, 2010 2:57:03 PM

I had the same motherboard with a single core 4000 and two GeForce 6800 GT's in SLI. When one of the 6800's died, I decided to upgrade. First, I thought about getting a faster cpu: I found that I could buy a new AM2 motherboard, 4gig ddr2 and a dual core 6000 for about the same as just a socket 939 FX-60 cpu alone would cost. In other words, it is not worth it to upgrade a socket 939 cpu. The faster ones are outrageously overpriced. Get a new AM3 motherboard, memory and cpu.

When I had the 6800's in SLI, I had all kinds of problems. I think a single GTS 250 would work in the A8N-SLI and would be a cost effective upgrade that could be moved into a new system when the time arrives. (I stick with Nvidia because of better Linux support.)

I still have my Asus A8N-SLI but with a FX-55 (which I got for $30 from Craig's list). It is now backup to my "new" Phenom II 945 system.
m
l
January 3, 2010 2:59:48 PM

I can easily come up with the money for a new rig, so thats not the problem. Just looking to spend my hard earned dollars wisely. Is it better to just simply upgradea few pieces within the existing rig and then go for a complete new rig in a few more years? Or would spending that money to upgrade be made pointless in the minimal gains? If I had a budget I would probably not want to exceed $1500.00

I am trying to read and absorb and digest as much information as possible. I am not that tech savy and don't think that I will be building this myself. The last rig was purchased in peices and then given to the tech guys at the store I had purchased the parts from. For a minimal charge they were more than happy to assemble it all for me. Would I be better off to buy a preassembled rig or is that question taboo here?

For those of you taking the time to read and respond I thank you for your time
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
January 3, 2010 3:05:22 PM

@Captstress: Since the pc is doing OK now, wait until the new game comes out and try it first. You will then find out if the cpu or the gpu is a problem.

You get more for your money as time goes by, so waiting a bit will not cost you/

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2010 3:02:47 AM

Eh, I mostly agree with geofelt. But even so, for $600-700 you could build a comp that spanks the other one, and honestly I wouldn't go for much higher than that even if I had the available cash. The only thing I would even upgrade on it as it is is a graphics card. Though most of the point for that would be for when you do the rest.

It isn't taboo per se to buy a preassembled rig, but its almost never a good option. Especially when gaming is the goal. There are some that you could get, but then you'd have to replace the PSU and get a graphics card in almost all cases.

rsmith13 said:
(I stick with Nvidia because of better Linux support.)

I stick with ATI, despite my enjoyment of linux. Besides that's becoming less relevant now with the HD series of graphics cards.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2010 3:09:08 AM

I have almost the same setup as the OP, so I know where he's coming from. If I had about $600-800 to spend on a system, I'd just build a new one. Leave the old one for when friends come over and have a mini-LAN party or use the old one for a server or something like that. Hand down the old one to a family friend or to a family member.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2010 3:14:26 AM

I totally agree. I've got a secondary and it makes PC gaming with other people much easier.
m
l
January 4, 2010 5:11:31 AM

Well JrStress who is 7 years old is looking for a desktop PC to start his own gaming as well as school work. So it would be an easy transition to his room. If Im going to start taking this seriously then I best start doing some serious research. Any help from the masses would be greatly appreciated. But I can see alot of reading ahead before I make my decision. Thanks to all who are reading this and keeping tabs on this thread
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2010 6:13:38 AM

There are plenty here who would even give you an entire configuration - mostly of only high-quality parts. Seeing as how you have used AMD, going with one of those builds would be easy to do. You'd just have to give a $ amount that is what will be worked up to. By no means does it need to exceed $1000 anymore for a very good system.

But you can always do it yourself if you want.
m
l
January 4, 2010 2:17:47 PM

CaptStress said:
Well JrStress who is 7 years old is looking for a desktop PC to start his own gaming as well as school work. So it would be an easy transition to his room. If Im going to start taking this seriously then I best start doing some serious research. Any help from the masses would be greatly appreciated. But I can see alot of reading ahead before I make my decision. Thanks to all who are reading this and keeping tabs on this thread

You have a solution to one of my problems: What to do with the old PC. I have given my old builds to my sons who are quite happy, and have no current need to upgrade. That puts a crimp in my desires to build a newer state of the art machine.

I would suggest that you review Tom's december system builder marathon series of articles:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-own-pc,2503.h...

You will probably come out of it with:

i5-750/i7-860/i7-920 cpu. Look for some strong clarkdale 32nm cpu's from Intel in January.

Basic P55 or X58 motherboard.

A single good graphics card like the 5858/5870 or GTX285. Keep tuned for the next card from Nvidia. Stronger if you use a 2560 x 1600 monitor.

A 1tb SATA drive, and perhaps a TRIM enabled SSD for the OS. Prices and capabilities of SSD's are changing rapidly... Keep informed.

OS will be Windows-7 home premium 64 bit. See if jrstree is qualified for an academic license, it should cost about $30.
http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/en_US/Dis...

4gb or 6gb ram kit. High speed or low latencies will not be worth paying much more for.

Any decent OEM cpu cooler. It will run your system quieter and cooler.

Cases are a personal thing, and almost any will do the job. But, take some time and look for a case that you will be enthusiastic about. It6 is one of the things you will touch every day.

Consider investing in a large quality monitor. Can you spring for a 30" 2560 x 1600 LCD? It is one of the few future proof PC purchases you can make today. It is wonderful for gaming, and can hold two full web pages side by side.

---good luck---
m
l
January 5, 2010 6:00:33 AM

Thanks geofelt, I now have some solid info to digest. I do not require a monitor as I recently aquired a new 22inch Samsung flat screen this past summer. I think 30inch is too big for me personally to be honest and I would never require to have 2 full pages displayed in front of me at once. I thank you for the rest of the information
m
l
January 5, 2010 1:07:25 PM

If you have the desk space, consider duplicating your 22" monitor. I find a second monitor very useful. While gaming, you can keep your e-mail or performance displays open on the second screen.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 5, 2010 6:38:21 PM

Eh. If you like upgrading anything going intel right now would be a mistake. Unless you have the cash to go with the i7 920 and its triple channel mobos. intel has 2 sockets actively plus the previous 775 on the market atm. If you were to go AM3 like you were previously leaning towards it would be far cheaper now, and later. (when you could drop in a six core CPU)
m
l
January 6, 2010 2:28:03 PM

if you want a budget card...that works fine with the new games (i.e you can enjoy)

or try the 5830....the radeon 4830 paired with ddr2-1066mhz ram dorsair dominator 2gb will do everything.......thats a cheap option .....
m
l
!