Sign in with
Your question

Extreme Gaming System Troubleshoot

Last response: in Systems
January 3, 2010 5:55:50 AM

Hardware of my new system:

Processor: Amd Phenom II x4 965 black
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA 790XTA-UD4
Memory: 8 gigs of ram, 4 modules of 2g corsair memory. 1600 i think.
GPU: Radeon HD 5850 (no crossfire right now but ill be doing that as an upgrade in the future)
Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W
Case: Coolmaster 922 Haf
Network Card: Going with the motherboard card, supports up to a 1000 mb/s which is fine for me
Speakers: some $50 creative speakers i haven't opened yet.
Optical Drive: a $50 LG DVD-RW/CD Drive
Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi (non-pro), the $100 one
Monitor: Asus M238H (10,000,000:1 Contrast Ratio :o  )
CPU cooler (I'm not using AMD's default one): Zalman CNPS9900 LED
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb
Very expensive rig.

Got all this stuff from Frys this morning, put it together and its no good :cry:  . It starts up, but had alot of problems getting it to show anything on the monitor. Finally managed to get it to load up windows 7, then its unable to recognize the hard drive. Says to install the drivers that came with it. However, the Hard Drive came with no drivers and further inspection of Western Digital's website reveals that it makes no drivers for its hardware. :fou: 
First time I've ever built a computer. Its looks beastly :p  . Need help making it work though :( 
By the way, I don't think static damage is the problem since I made sure I was grounded at all times when touching the motherboard (never touched the innards when it was on) and my paranoia caused me to spend $8 on an overpriced grounding bracelet.

More about : extreme gaming system troubleshoot

January 3, 2010 6:15:32 AM

Sounds to me like your BIOS is on AHCI (or ACHI or whatever) and needs to be set to IDE.
m
l
January 3, 2010 3:50:13 PM

hate to break it to you, but that's not super extreme.....ummmmm you wouldn't be able to boot windows if it didn't recognize the hard drive......also to the guy above, why would setting that setting change anything....its a sata drive......

there are no manufacturer specific drivers for hard drives

it doesn't sound like static damage

it sounds like you really don't know what you're doing and you should have someone look at it who does....
m
l
Related resources
January 3, 2010 3:57:58 PM

If you got windows-7 to work, it knows about the hard drive. Windows-7 comes with all the SATA drivers you might need. In your bios, you will be given the choice of using raid, ahci, or ide as your sata mode. I suggest that you pick ahci which is hard to change later. It gives you more capabilities than ide, such as hot swap. If in time, you get a ssd with trim support the windows drivers are the only ones that will work today.

Look in the device manager to see if there are any devices with a yellow exclamation point highlight. Perhaps there is some selection in the bios that is defining some device that you do not have.
m
l
January 3, 2010 4:18:29 PM

I agree with boonality windows 7 should however have the driver on the cd.. depending on vers of windows.. settign the sata mode to ahci will not work without proper drivers. and as such changing it to ide mode enable the os to work as though it is an ide drive.

Also woudn't hurt to run a memtest on the ram.. and double check voltages and mem timings in bios.. are you trying to run 64 bit? if so, make sure the bios settign enables it. ( i know my board requires me to change pet on and enable 64-bit mode for a 64 bit os otherwise I get all kinds of errors trying to install.
m
l
!