Microphone does NOT work

October 3, 2004 2:47:21 PM

Microphone does NOT work

I cannot have my microphone working. I used several microphones and tested
the audio card. It looks like an XP problem. In fact, the XP Guide states
that to configure the microphone I have to use the Control Panel->Voice
Recognition panel. However my XP is Italian, and for Italian there is NO
voice recognition. So THAT panel does not exist. I can see only the Voice
Syntesys panel with one voice available only. Furthermore, most of controls
and commands described in XP Guide are grayed out or not visible.

On the other hand, I do NOT need my microphone for voice recognition, but
for other applications (VoIP, sound recording, etc...). Any help
appreciated.

Thank you in advace.

Dario de Judicibus
www.dejudicibus.it

More about : microphone work

October 3, 2004 2:47:22 PM

Have you tried unplugging the mic then switching the PC off. Plug the mic
back in and reboot...Windows should detect a new device.
Also go to Start/Control Panel/Sounds Speech and Audio/Sounds and Audio
Devices/Audio tab - check the volume there?

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
"Dario de Judicibus" <NOSPAM.dejudicibus@geocities.com> wrote in message
> Microphone does NOT work
>
> I cannot have my microphone working. I used several microphones and tested
> the audio card. It looks like an XP problem. In fact, the XP Guide states
> that to configure the microphone I have to use the Control Panel->Voice
> Recognition panel. However my XP is Italian, and for Italian there is NO
> voice recognition. So THAT panel does not exist. I can see only the Voice
> Syntesys panel with one voice available only. Furthermore, most of
> controls
> and commands described in XP Guide are grayed out or not visible.
>
> On the other hand, I do NOT need my microphone for voice recognition, but
> for other applications (VoIP, sound recording, etc...). Any help
> appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advace.
>
> Dario de Judicibus
> www.dejudicibus.it

Anonymous
October 3, 2004 4:05:40 PM

Peter wrote:
>> Have you tried unplugging the mic then switching the PC off. Plug
>> the mic back in and reboot...Windows should detect a new device.
>> Also go to Start/Control Panel/Sounds Speech and Audio/Sounds and
>> Audio Devices/Audio tab - check the volume there?

Yes, I did. Start/Control Panel/Sounds is ok. Is a microphone a real device?
I do not speak of a USB microphone, but that simple microphone you plug in
the pink port on the back of your desktop...

DdJ
Related resources
October 3, 2004 4:05:41 PM

Yes, if I unplug mine from the pink jack, power off, plug it in, power on it
is detected -unless you told Windows not to remind you of new devices in
future. You could try Start/Help and Support/..key in search "add hardware"
a result saying exactly that will be in the list. Click on that and on the
highlighted Add Hardware Wizard. It'll ask you for a CD, ignore that and
follow the prompts..eventually you'll get a list of assorted items already
installed, at the bottom of the list you'll see something like "Add new
Hardware" and you should be able to continue from there.
If your sound card has a control panel buried in there somewhere you should
be able to check if it's including the mic and if it's switched on or not.
Sorry I can't be more specific.

--
> Peter wrote:
>>> Have you tried unplugging the mic then switching the PC off. Plug
>>> the mic back in and reboot...Windows should detect a new device.
>>> Also go to Start/Control Panel/Sounds Speech and Audio/Sounds and
>>> Audio Devices/Audio tab - check the volume there?
>
> Yes, I did. Start/Control Panel/Sounds is ok. Is a microphone a real
> device?
> I do not speak of a USB microphone, but that simple microphone you plug in
> the pink port on the back of your desktop...
>
> DdJ

October 3, 2004 4:05:42 PM

It;s just dawned on me that I might be giving you misleading advice. It's
my sound card that detects the mic. In which case you should check your
sound card instructions, or go to their website for help.

--
news:o F6ieZVqEHA.3800@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

!