Sign in with
Your question

Missing Operating System and Can't Boot From CD

Last response: in Windows 7
October 14, 2011 1:47:37 AM

Hi, I've been using my new desktop for the last couple of months. Didn't have any problems until all of a sudden my computer just completely shut down and restarted while I was using it. And now it cannot boot, it just comes up with a 'Missing Operating System' message! I went into BIOS and it still detects my hard drive.

I booted from my Windows 7 CD and it looks like its going to load from my CD, and then it just stalls and comes up with the same message.. 'Missing Operating System' Does anyone have any idea what my problem might be?
October 14, 2011 2:02:47 AM

Unplug any usb drives and try again?
Missing OS usually shows up when it's trying to boot from removable media that doesn't have an OS present
October 14, 2011 2:03:43 AM

Are you sure you have selected in the Boot Order in BIOS for the CD/ROM to be the first device? Go back in there and check. Also, a message should come up when the disc is spinning up to tell you that if you want to boot from the CD to press a key. Press any key and the W7 install should start up.
February 5, 2012 9:47:11 PM

I think it has to do with incompatible boot device or system does not support that OS trying to be installed. Not sure which.
!