Next socket from AMD?

mojito_619

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
Well, as the title says, do any of you know or can speculate when the next socket is going to come out. I've been doing some digging on the net and have found nothing conclusive, but maybe I suck at surfing. I know they've released the new 890 chipset to house those 6-core procs, but what about "Bulldozer"? I'm a bit confused with all these code names and such.

Cryslayer80

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
I think that is highly improbable, enzo :D. But yeah, as it has been said, there are no official announcements about the new socket, so it could be anything. The thing that is almost certain is that there will be a new socket for Bulldozer, the thing that isn't is what will it be named. AM3+, AM4? LGAMD? :D

bige420

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
I've heard from multiple sources (dont ask me because I forgot) that bulldozer will be on a AM3+ socket and Llano, amd's fusion, will be on a completely different socket.

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009

what sources? :D

Yeah I second the fact that Llano will probably be on a new socket because I'm pretty sure with the addition of a gpu onto the same chip they'll need some kind of new technology that can keep up with that need for bandwidth.

I'm pretty sure the onboard GPU of fusion chips will require a new socket simply to provide the video outputs. As for Bulldozer it may be that AMD is undecided despite the fact that it is listed as AM3 on the roadmap. It has been rumored that it will use AM3, as well as it using a different socket. Anyway, there isn't too much info on Bulldozer right now. Right now the Rumor mill is focused on Femi so perhaps after Femi is released you'll see renewed speculation on Bulldozer.

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009

ehem... *Fermi :sol:

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
^ hope that's a joke.

Anyway if the BD is anything like PhII was, then hopefully the AM3 mobos will just need a BIOS update. But I'm guessing Fusion (aka Llano) will definitely need a new socket. This is because its a gpu/cpu hybrid (not a gpu on die like the Clarkdale chips) and is verrrry different.

Why? LGA is more efficient than PGA in connection.

As for a new socket, I have heard of SG34. Nothing more.

Its original purpose was actually for the Phenom FX QuadFX setup. But when Phenom got delayed and was a pretty much meh chip, they canned it.

Now its set for server multi chip but it does not mean it wont ever reach the desktop market.

My guess is that if Bulldozer does have a IGP, more than likely it will have a different socket because of the way they are doing it compared to Core i3/i5. If they did a MCM approach they could probably use AM3 but I think we will see a new socket for Bulldozer, most likely AM3+ unless they do decide to follow Intel and move to LGA.

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

BD isn't going to have an igp as yet. AMD Fusion's cpu cores are supposed to use PhII cores IIRC.

shravankale

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
well AM# is going to go a long way....there has been no official or unofficial announcement of a new socket, but i have noticed that unlike Intel, AMD do not change their socket frequently....so maybe when DDR4 Ram modules come out

EDIT: AM3

Yeah, AMD generally likes to stick to a socket for a while. The only time that wasn't true was the early days of the AMD64 when they went through 764, 940 (FX chip with ECC memory), 939, and then AM2. The transition from 939 to AM2 was especially fustrating since early AM2 chips still had a DDR1 controller, and were thus produced in AM2 and 939 versions. Unlike AM3 and AM2 though, AM2 chips would not be put in 939 motherboards.