Does it make a difference if the voltage is not the same on ram memory?

dohar

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Hello,
I upgraded my memory to 4gb using 2x2gb memory at with 1.9v. the 1gb memory that i replaced was 1.8v. Will that make a difference? it seems to be working OK.

Solution
As long as the system is stable using the old 1.8V setting you can leave it there but if you start having stability problems then you might want to go into the BIOS and increase the Voltage to 1.9V if needed. (Many 1.9V rated modules will run stable at 1.8V but some will require the full 1.9V)
As long as the system is stable using the old 1.8V setting you can leave it there but if you start having stability problems then you might want to go into the BIOS and increase the Voltage to 1.9V if needed. (Many 1.9V rated modules will run stable at 1.8V but some will require the full 1.9V)

Solution

dohar

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010

Thanks,
The system is a Dell Inspiruon 530 and I used Patriot memory cards
The computer is working better and I don't see any issues (or smoke). Thanks again for your reply.

dohar

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010

Thanks,
The system is a Dell Inspiruon 530 and I used Patriot memory cards
The computer is working better and I don't see any issues (or smoke) so far so good. If I have problems I can go into the BIOS and increase the voltage. I just would have to change the voltage from1.8v to 1.9v ? Is there anything else I would need to do?
Thanks again for your reply