Redras0324

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
I currently have an Athlon 64 2800+ in my AlienWare desktop that I just recently managed to get working again. I've already decided on a new video card and HDD. But I'm new to the process of putting in a new processor. The current socket is a 754, and the one I was looking to get is Socket AM3. I'm not sure if that will work or not, will I have to find a Socket 754 processor, or get a new motherboard all together and transfer the components? One more thing, if I replace the processor will I have to re-install XP? Or is that only if I switch HDDs?

Redras0324

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Yeah, I KGB'd it. And they pretty much said the same thing. I'm looking to try to hunt down a socket 754 processor. And if it doesn't play out I ran the numbers and it'd be about $450 for video card, processor, and motherboard.

Redras0324

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Well, the current processor isn't horrible, for when I got it. It's a single core 1.8GHz. It gets the job done, but it's the only gaming PC I have. So I figures that since I'm putting in a new HDD and video card, I might as well upgarde what I can. I like Win 7, I'm a little leary of it, simply because it's a new OS. We'll see how my mood changes when I get the money around to do all this.

loneninja

Distinguished
Socket 754 went out of production several years ago. Fastest processor for the platform is a 2.4Ghz single core if I remember right. I know there are no dual cores, I just can't recall exactly what the fastest single core was.

TRENDING THREADS