Asus Maximus V Formula
VGA MSI GeForce GTX670 2GB PM2D2GD5/OC
CoolerMaster 1000W PSU Silent Pro M2

The watercooling:

1 x XSPC Rasa Black CPU Waterblock
1 x XSPC RX240 Radiator with 2 fans
1 x XSPC RX480 Radiator with 4 fans
1 x XSPC X20 750 Pump & Reservoir combo

I did a quick OC to 4.2 ghz 1.3v and i started prime95 to do a quick test, but temps went true the roof.
They were around 90 degrees, so i stopped the test.
I used the same cooling before for a I7 2600k / MSIP67-GD65 at 4.7 ghz and temps were fine.

What can it be??
I used Artic silver 5 and i applied a rice/BB
The room temp is around 32 degrees

tammo007

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
So how much do you suggest?
I already put only a rice size amount.

1 more question i have; how tight do i have turn the waterblock screws? until i can't turned it anymore by hand?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
They were around 90 degrees, so i stopped the test.

The room temp is around 32 degrees

Going by the second, assuming both are in Celsius. I highly doubt this has anything to do with TIM.

Sounds like you have an airlock or your pump isn't pushing water...or you could have a poorly mounted CPU block, but doubtful. What do your stock temps look like? Did you validate you can boot up at stock speeds and ensure the loop is running? Did you completely bleed all air from the loop and validate you have good flow?

Is this a rebuild/refill on the new hardware? I'm betting you have a pump airlock.

tammo007

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
temps are in celcius.

Idle the temps are 38-40 degrees.

I did drain my loop because i shortened a tube, but the flow is ok.
When i press a tube with my fingers i can feel the pressure.
About the air im not sure, what the best way to bleed my system?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
So the only thing that changed was one piece of tubing length, nothing more? And your temps on this identical install are different before/after? What temps were you seeing before this tubing change?

Why do you mention the install on the 2600k if this was on the 3770k and working until you shortened some tubing? What were the prior temps of this on the 3770k before tubing alteration?

tammo007

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
When i installed the new mobo and cpu i also shortened the tube so i haven't runned the I7 3770k before.

What i did the last 30 minutes;

- remount the cpu waterblock, i applied artic silver 5 but now i used the line method.
- changed all mobo settings to default.

I runned prime 95 in-place large TFT for 15 minutes.
CPU was running 3.91 ghz (turbo boost) the temps were min 36 degrees max 70 degrees.
Room temp 32 degrees

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
So it would seem there are issues with your actual overclock settings and not the cooling of the loop causing your issues. If you run Prime95 at stock settings for an hour, you see normal temps for this duration?

tammo007

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
If you run Prime95 at stock settings for an hour, you see normal temps for this duration?

Im not sure what you mean with this?
I already runned it @ stock for 15 mins with max temp of 70 degrees.
1 hour will be the same or a bit higher, but isn't 70 degrees to high?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
No, that's fairly normal. So it sounds like your overclock is to blame. Stop using turbo mode and overclock using actual BIOS settings...you'll want to be mindful at how much voltage you're applying.

Why do you feel you need to overclock? It sounds like your next step is to research how to correctly overclock your chip. Also ensure you don't have any excess air in your loop, especially in your radiators.

tammo007

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Yep your right overclocking an IVY needs a different methode of overclocking.
Im now testing 4.4 ghz @ 1.2v 30 minutes of prime 95 max 70 degrees.

Auto volt was giving to much volt.

Tomorrow i will test more.
Thanks for the help.

PS what is the best method to bleed the air out of the loop/rads?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Tilt your case in all directions as the pump is running, being careful not to allow more air to enter the pump that might be in the reservoir. When you fill a loop, you will likely see your reservoir volume 'decrease' a bit over time while additional air is worked out and displaces water in the reservoir. Just keep adding more water when the pump is off, turn back on...and repeat. This is a much faster process if you are able to rotate the radiators without causing the pump to suck air.

You can also look on YouTube for additional videos that discuss different methods.

tammo007

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
update:
I checked the loop for air and i fine tuned my overclock

The results im getting now are;

4.8 GHZ @ 1.29v
Prime 95 12 hours

Room temp: 28 c

core 1: 71
core 2: 80
core 3: 77
core 4: 75

Is this ok?

For a 24/7 oc is 85 c the max temp?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Water temps and reported temps by hardware sensors are different. You aren't going to boil any water in a watercooling loop or even come close to it. If you've determined your delta correctly, the water temp will be within X amount of degrees Celsius at all times, even under load.