RAID 0 performance issues

vinjkit

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
I recently set up 2 Seagate Barracuda drives (ST3500418AS, ST3500620AS) in RAID 0. The controller is a add on card (UGT-IS100R). Everything seems to be running fine but I am getting some weird numbers when I benchmark the array. The transfer rate is about 140MB/s and is about what I would be getting if the disks were not in RAID but my burst rate seems to be about correct.

Solution
The difference in speeds between the two machines may be the result of the add on controller card. Vantec controller cards use software RAID as opposed to a dedicated RAID controller like a 3Ware or Areca RAID card. The Vantec card using software RAID in addition to the overhead put onto the cpu and PCIe bus could result in lower speeds.

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
That is a fine performance from a RAID 0 for HDD, Regular is about 20-30MB/s(If you transfer file from Same HDD's partition to the other partition)... That HDD performance is twice the performance of a single HDD which is 70MB/s and when you transfer file on the same HDD to the same HDD(Or to other partitions) is usually 20-30MB/s(On one HDD) Transfering file form one HDD to another is about 70MB/s, if add in RAID, it's usually 100-150MB/s

vinjkit

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
I guess I feel it is a little low as I have another computer running 2 other Barracuda drives in RAID 0 with transfer speeds around 210MB/s, given though they are a different model and running off of MOBO RAID.

The difference in speeds between the two machines may be the result of the add on controller card. Vantec controller cards use software RAID as opposed to a dedicated RAID controller like a 3Ware or Areca RAID card. The Vantec card using software RAID in addition to the overhead put onto the cpu and PCIe bus could result in lower speeds.

Solution

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
anyway 2 drives in raid don't make it double speed btw ,
but have you noticed how you maintained 150mb/s for 80% of drive test, single drive you would have it curved at 40% and keep going down