Solved

Quick Sanity check on OC for 3570K and P8Z77-V Pro

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
July 27, 2012 8:06:01 PM

Hi guys,

Want to start out by saying that this community has helped me get through so many tough problems. So thanks for that up front. (Even though I'm a lurker :) ).

I just setup a new machine based on the July articles on the site. So far everything seems to be working great. I decided to mess around with the Turbo EVO software that came with the mobo and see what it set me at.

I am currently stable at 4.2 GHz (under load - speedstep puts me back to 1.6 Ghz while at idle) (Ran prime 95 for about 2 hours). Haven't tried Intel burntest yet and haven't really played any games to see how she fares long term.

My temps under load are between 58-65. From what I've read here that seems to be well within the acceptable range. my vcore is sitting around 1.2 under load.

The questions I have are

--Does that sound ok to you guys? I'm thinking there might be some fan tweaking I can do (all of the fans seem to be running relatively slowly) to get the temps down.
--I've heard a lot of people say I should avoid using software OCing and only ever work through BIOS. Is there anything I should be concerned about here?
--Is 4.2, even for a hardcore gamer, a speed that's worth the additional voltage/strain for most people?
--Is Speedstep worth keeping on? I hear varying answers to this question from "we all turn it off when we OC bro" to "I leave it on because it lowers my avg temps/vcore long term.

Thanks!

More about : quick sanity check 3570k p8z77 pro

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2012 8:20:09 PM

doublearon00 said:
Hi guys,

Want to start out by saying that this community has helped me get through so many tough problems. So thanks for that up front. (Even though I'm a lurker :) ).

I just setup a new machine based on the July articles on the site. So far everything seems to be working great. I decided to mess around with the Turbo EVO software that came with the mobo and see what it set me at.

I am currently stable at 4.2 GHz (under load - speedstep puts me back to 1.6 Ghz while at idle) (Ran prime 95 for about 2 hours). Haven't tried Intel burntest yet and haven't really played any games to see how she fares long term.

My temps under load are between 58-65. From what I've read here that seems to be well within the acceptable range. my vcore is sitting around 1.2 under load.

The questions I have are

--Does that sound ok to you guys? I'm thinking there might be some fan tweaking I can do (all of the fans seem to be running relatively slowly) to get the temps down.
--I've heard a lot of people say I should avoid using software OCing and only ever work through BIOS. Is there anything I should be concerned about here?
--Is 4.2, even for a hardcore gamer, a speed that's worth the additional voltage/strain for most people?
--Is Speedstep worth keeping on? I hear varying answers to this question from "we all turn it off when we OC bro" to "I leave it on because it lowers my avg temps/vcore long term.

Thanks!

1) That seems okay to me. You won't gain a heck of a lot beyond this. MAYBE you can get to 4.5, 4.6, but with a lot more effort for an additional 300 Mhz gain. Go into the BIOS and check your fan settings under power, for Asus I think. You can read the manual to see how you should set Q-fan settings so it ramps up when things get hot.

2) OC through BIOS is best and most reliable. Once you get your settings OCing with software, write those settings down, and input them into the BIOS (voltages, multipliers)

3) 4.2 is plenty. I'm still hobbling on a Phenom II at 3.5something and most games run perfect.

4) SpeedStep is best off while you are OC testing, but since it only adjusts multipliers and voltages when idle, you can turn it on once you are satisfied that your OC is stable. Leaving it on will let you use less electricity.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 27, 2012 8:20:48 PM

1) was your tests on single thread or multithread? see if your results are matching to games single thread or multithread. If most of your games are singlethreaded the temp might be less.

2) Did you overclock the clock too? Try backing the clock just to the stock 100 and see if that reduces any temp. You don't need to squeeze out the extra small bit out and stress out your ram.

3) Software/bios. You should play around with software, but once you get stable, go set it in the bios. Software is useful so that you don't accidentally get yourself into an unstable setting that takes more time to back away from for more trial and error.

4) Leave speedstep on. Why would you want your computer going fast doing no-ops. I don't know what the argument is to turn it off, unless somehow it's incompatible with your linux or non Windows OS.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 27, 2012 8:21:26 PM

Quote:

Temps are just fine, but you can try tweaking the fan curves a bit if you want.

Quote:

I always say avoid software OC's (or Auto OC's of any kind) because they can cause a lot of problems (like higher than needed Vcore), but that OC seems to be decent enough, although I think you could get to 4.2 at a lower Vcore by doing the OC manually.

Quote:

Eh, yes and no. It's not a HUGE boost of FPS from stock, but with those temps and that Vcore, you're not really doing a lot of harm yet.

Quote:

Absolutely. I have always kept SpeedStep enabled for the lower temps and voltage. If I feel that I NEED the full speed of my OC at any point (like when stress testing), I just select the High Performance power profile in Windows to keep it at a constant 4.5 (in my case). Never caused a single problem for me.
a b à CPUs
July 27, 2012 8:31:00 PM

regarding fan,

If you've got that mobo you should have the fanexpert2 utility. i use it and like it.

I do recommend if you aren't using a lot of those other utilities, uninstall them. Some of them are buggy, and they sit as services and take up some cpu-especially the network related ones
m
l
July 27, 2012 10:04:07 PM

You guys are awesome. Here's what I'm going to do.

--Going to write down all of the specs and input them manually into BIOS
--Going to check Fanexpert and see if I can get temps down with that (like I said the fans seem to be really underutilized)
--Keep speedstep on - seems like a really cool feature that doesn't really have a downside.
--Try to see if I can get vcore down (1.2 isn't bad but since it was a software tweak I agree, there is a high likelyhood that it's more than what is necessary). That will also lower temps as well I imagine.
--After that I'll run the tests again and see how she runs.

The only thing I'm a bit nervous about is that it's been a while since I've gone manual with this stuff. I'll have to do some "re-reading" :) . I'd be super happy with vcore at 1.1 even if I went down to 4.0 as long as the temps were significantly lower.

It gets REALLY hot in LA during the summer.
m
l
July 27, 2012 10:06:07 PM

Oh and thanks raytseng. I'll dig through those utilities and flush the ones that aren't needed.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2012 10:44:06 PM

doublearon00 said:
You guys are awesome. Here's what I'm going to do.

--Going to write down all of the specs and input them manually into BIOS
--Going to check Fanexpert and see if I can get temps down with that (like I said the fans seem to be really underutilized)
--Keep speedstep on - seems like a really cool feature that doesn't really have a downside.
--Try to see if I can get vcore down (1.2 isn't bad but since it was a software tweak I agree, there is a high likelyhood that it's more than what is necessary). That will also lower temps as well I imagine.
--After that I'll run the tests again and see how she runs.

The only thing I'm a bit nervous about is that it's been a while since I've gone manual with this stuff. I'll have to do some "re-reading" :) . I'd be super happy with vcore at 1.1 even if I went down to 4.0 as long as the temps were significantly lower.

It gets REALLY hot in LA during the summer.

Yeah, with my computer running under load, it heats up my room. And OCing makes this a lot worse.
m
l
August 4, 2012 3:24:41 AM

Best answer selected by doublearon00.
m
l
!