Could 100 degrees for a few sec have damaged my GPU?

mrbeanladen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
I noticed my game stopped suddenly and when I looked at GPUz the graph showed that my card reached 99 degrees... is this dangerous? I was running the witcher 2 at the time. HD7850

It it was only for a short time, no, but I would recommend changing the fan curve to something more aggressive (like 100% @ 70C). GPU's can handle higher temps for longer than CPU's can, but it's always best to keep the temps as low as you can.

mrbeanladen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

Thank you.
Do you know how I can lower temps? I reached 1200mhz at 1.15 vddc but like I said in the OP It gets way too hot... climbs at 100 in under a minute. I hate it that my GPU can do it but the high temps wont let it.

Raising the fan speed is about the only way. I'd set it to 100% @ 70C, like I said above.

mrbeanladen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

Ugh this sucks... I set it at 100% but it makes a tiny difference in temps, it still eventually climbs too high... maybe I'll buy a new AC and try to lower my ambient temps by -10.

That would certainly help, but you can try taking the side of the case off for now, as well. That should help a bit, at least.

mrbeanladen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

Lowered the voltage from 1.180 to 1.050 and the clock from 1200 to 1100 for minor fps loss but from 100 degrees it went to 60, now I have a new AC in my room and since the ambient is like 16-20 the temps are much lower now. I don't see why 0.1 volts turned it into a frying pan... weird.
And you're sure it did absolutely no damage? I have 3 years warranty so maybe I could send it there if it goes bad, don't know if it covers OC but the card is called "MSI frozr II 7850 OC" so maybe yes...
I wanna be sure since I noticed that when I overclocked it it froze multiple times but only once I tried to monitor the temps. Maybe I had like 1 full minute in total of temps 90-100 so temps of 100 (card shuts down at 100 anyways i think) can't hurt it?

anyone seeing my shitty thread ignore what I said this card is simply awesome...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-review-benchmark,3148-13.html
I get 144fps beating the 580 with my card at 1100mhz core 1375mhz memory and I paid only about 250$

Nah, it'll be fine. If you let it do it many times and it stayed at that temp for a long time each time, it may have done a bit of damage, but in your situation, I don't think you did much, if any, harm at all. Honestly, the voltage may have done more damage than the temps ever could, since GPU's are very sensitive to even relatively small voltage increases, but you lowered it back down, so I'd say you're good.

mrbeanladen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

thanks again, and you think it would be worth getting a decent case for this card? I'd really like to go 1200+ but the temps really don't let me. About the voltage I saw that most poeople say that 1.180 or 1.25 is the max but I saw a lot of people put 1.225 so I think leaving it at 1.180 would be OK... if it weren't for the 100 degrees.

I have this case: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156275 (I have the one without PSU)
what do you think about it? decent or would I need something a little bit better (I'm cheap...) antec 300, NZXT tempest 410 elite, HAF 912+, antec 900 or 902? they're about the same price all of them, near to 100$ or lower

mrbeanladen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

Well I did screw in a fan on the back of the psu... in its air filter lol it does a great job I think, pushes out a lot of hot air when cpu is working but that's all I can do. I changed the led fans with brighter and slightly more powerful ones but the main 120mm fan on the front is impossible to change, the screws are hidden between some metal plates I can't reach it... the front fan is 50cfm according to raidmax but if feels a lot weaker...
so 912+ it is? I saw it has no window but I'll have to live with that, at least it has a gpu fan and that's important to me.

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
There are alot of aftermarket cooling solutions for GPU's. If you save'd up a few dollars, you could get a nice cooler.

Maybe watercooling if thats a plan.

mrbeanladen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

the twin frozr II sucks then?
Maybe watercooling would be better but I'm afraid of putting water anywhere near my PC. But the whole thing seems weird i mean the card heats up almost instantly to 70 BUT it slooowly climbs up all the way to 100 one degree at a time and the case is very hot, maybe not 100 but it looks like the heat stays there near the gpu instead of moving out so I don't know if it's the cooler of the case.

Would this be a good test for a cooler: when I exit a game the temps go back to idle temps in a few sec, that probably means it's doing a good job at absorbing and moving heat away (except the stupid case probably is in the way). Does that means the cooler's OK?

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Watercooling cannot damage pc components as the liquid used to cool the parts does not conduct electricity or damage hardware.

Some cards, like the gtx 460 by Zotac, are just designed to run fast. Some people around Tom's will tell you that some cards always idle around 70c

victorl2

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

doesn't matter what is the gpu 70°C idle is for sure to high temps for the card ..this kind of temp is full load in some cards ...