japster1

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
hi here's what's happening , I have a sound blaster card for my 5 year old HP laptop that you put inside a expansion slot in order to get my 5.1 system to work , but my laptop crashed and I just got a new HP desk top computer , that has no exspansion slot , just a regular head phone jack , How can you help me make this work.

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

OK I am by no means a sound pro but I will take a stab at this because I had a similar problem (just keep this in mind).

Your sound card if it is new, will require most likely a PCI-E slot to install. There are some cards that require a PCI slot. Even most smaller HP and Dell desktops usually have at least one PCI-E slot available but your may already be filled. If that is the case and you truly have no slots then most likely you are out of luck unless you can remove one of the components occupying a PCI-E slot.

You can also go to an external sound card and I am not qualified to recommend which is the best. Creative HiFi makes one that sells for about $90 on Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-SB1090-Blaster-Surround-System/dp/B0017QQQAE

However I am not sure how good this card is and whether it is the best solution to your problem. Note that it connects to your desktop via USB.

I am sorry that I could not be of more help.