Sign in with
Your question

How do the larger cpu fans not damage the motherboard

Last response: in Components
March 10, 2010 2:05:40 PM

Im building a new computer with an i7 930 and was curious as to something like the coolermaster v8 weighing in at 860grams does not damage the motherboard. I was going to pick this up for my tower but im not sure if i want all that weight hanging off the side of my board. Surely the board has to bend atleast under the weight.

More about : larger cpu fans damage motherboard

March 10, 2010 4:14:21 PM

JaredM83 said:
Im building a new computer with an i7 930 and was curious as to something like the coolermaster v8 weighing in at 860grams does not damage the motherboard. I was going to pick this up for my tower but im not sure if i want all that weight hanging off the side of my board. Surely the board has to bend atleast under the weight.

Oh, it definitely bends, no doubt about it. However, as long as it does not break the board or any of the connections, bending is perfectly fine.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 10, 2010 4:15:29 PM

The Bigger HSF's come with a back plate that helps take the strain of the extra weight
m
l
a c 143 à CPUs
a c 148 V Motherboard
March 10, 2010 4:21:11 PM

Ulysses35 answered. Use the backplate that comes with that cooler. You will need to mount it before you put the motherboard into the case.
m
l
Related resources
!