Can i run CoD4 or W@W on this

npdewy

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
i want to know if i can run games like CoD4 or W@W or even MW2 on this laptop i dont know much about graphics cards and video cards so if im way off what is the least i can spend on a laptop that can do this
heres the one im looking at :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834117947

Cometz13

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
You could well run them but not on the highest and without AA, maybe medium i would guess, i recommend HIGHLY for gaming that you choose a gaming Rig as they don't cost more than yours and HAS ALOT more power and will be good for years more.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
yes but not as well, you might see some "slideshow frames" during the intro videos on COD4... it will work but on modest or low settings, you might as well spend a bit more for a slightly better GPU then the 4650. It is similar to the nvidia onboard 7xxx... try getting a laptop with at least a nvidia gt240m.

Well as far as COD goes I am running Modern Warfare 2 on my parent's computer when I visit and it is an HP dv6 with a 4650 and T6600 CPU, 4GB w/ Win7 64. And it runs at the native res of 1366x768 pretty darn well. I run with no AA, Shadows OFF, Smoke OFF, and textures on auto, with Vsync ON. It sticks at 60FPS for the most part, no problem. At the 1600x900 res of that laptop you may have to turn down an additional setting, but it will run just fine. Since COD4 uses the same engine as MW2 I would assume similar graphic settings. Actually the graphic settings are setup exactly the same.

To be perfectly honest though if you are looking for a gamer laptop get something with a GTX260M. Something like this, it even has 1920x1080 res. Remember, once ou buy laptop with a graphics card, the only way to upgrade the video is to buy a new laptop. Trust me, a 260M will be well worth it a year from now when you say "man I'm glad I got this one instead of a 4650". A 4650 is ok for now, but a year down the road, its just not going to cut the muster.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220639

And if you want a nice big far display, this gateway might we the way to go. Just do ourself a favor, don't cheap out on a gaming laptop, are stuck with what you buy now. Not like a desktop that is easy to upgrade.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834101203

anonymousdude

Distinguished
The i7 is a quadcore, so if you are going to multitask then it would be good. Don't worry too much about the clock speed as the i7 has turbo boost so it will overclock itself when it can. The downside is that the battery life will suffer a bit. The GPU should be okay for that resolution, but the gtx 260m is the faster GPU.

anonymousdude

Distinguished

That's just it. If you want to run games at the native resolution of the sony 1600x900 then the card will not hold up for very long, but for now it will work. If you were to the gt240m then it would hold up better because the screen is a lower resolution and the card I think is more powerful, but if you don't care as long as you can game even at lower resolutions and settings then go with what you want. Just a warning Sony laptops although they look nice are pretty easy to break and they have worse reliability than the lenovo.

I've actuall heard the same thing. That Son doesn't really make a very reliable laptop. Lenovo (IBM) has made great laptops for a long time. Theyare pricey but good. They are usually for the business sector more. I do like Asus laptops as well, and Gateway is REALLY coming back with some good stuff lately.

I still say look at the two I mentioned above. The Asus is REALLY nice looking in person, they had one at Bestbuy last time I was there. The gateway is to. The Sony's look very... MACish.

npdewy

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

in my opinion one of the only benifits of macs is how the look and im really trying to keep it $1000 or less

anonymousdude

Distinguished

I don't know about the graphics card, but the t6600 would depend on what you're comparing it to. Compare to a quad then probably, but compare it to a higher quad core like the T8xxx and P7xxx then it probably will not be as noticeable. Most games are coded to run on two threads, but more games are GPU dependent rather than CPU dependent.

Also you might like this laptop if you're not too worried about battery life.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B2+Duo+Processor+-+Blue/Black/9556072.p?id=1218124204092&skuId=9556072&st=asus

They had an artical here a month or two ago that had a study on the most reliable to the least reliable laptops. It actually listed Sony as much more reliable than lenovo.

The order went Asus, Toshiba, Sony, Apple, Dell, the last place finishers were Lenovo, Acer and HP (HP was last, not sure if Lenovo beat Acer or not).

npdewy

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
if you intend on playing games a laptop will not deliver. You've got a $1,000 budget that is more than enough to buy gaming desktop with the fastest stand alone video card ATI 5850, 8 GBs of ram and a premium i7 or Phenom II X4.

I just can not get my head around a gaming laptop.

I need to have a loptop for school and things like that but, i also want to be able to play a few games like some call of duty mods and what not, my ps3 will remain my main gaming console