Sign in with
Your question

Dual-Channel on a Triple-Channel motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 27, 2010 8:34:39 PM

Hi!

:??:  Q1: I would like to know the differences between the Dual-Channel and Triple Channel memory means?
:??:  Q2: Also if two (dual-channel) memory sticks will work on a Triple Channel motherboard; (6 slots right)?

Thanks in advance
/M9A2
a b V Motherboard
July 27, 2010 8:49:11 PM

1. Dual channels = 2X sticks/ 128-bit; Triple channel 3X sticks/ 192-bit,
2, You can use 2 sticks of RAM on a triple channel board, it just scales back to dual channel.
July 27, 2010 8:56:14 PM

Timop said:
1. Dual channels = 2X sticks/ 128-bit; Triple channel 3X sticks/ 192-bit,
2, You can use 2 sticks of RAM on a triple channel board, it just scales back to dual channel.

Ok, but what if I buy:
2 X *2 CORSAIR 4GB DDR3 XMS3 INTEL I5/I7 PC10600 1333MHZ (2X2GB) 9-9-9-24* = 4 sticks of ram, and take one away? Does that make a triple-channel when I’m then only uses three memory sticks or do I have to buy memory sticks in three modules? :??: 

Thank you for your previous answers.
/M9A2
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 27, 2010 8:59:14 PM

You'll be fine, as long as its 3 sticking of matching RAM it would work perfectly. People buy then in three modules because they are usually tested toghether, but it really doesnt matter.

July 27, 2010 9:02:53 PM

Thank you very much for your expertise! :sol: 
a c 238 V Motherboard
a c 104 } Memory
July 27, 2010 9:42:38 PM

m9a2 said:
Ok, but what if I buy:
2 X *2 CORSAIR 4GB DDR3 XMS3 INTEL I5/I7 PC10600 1333MHZ (2X2GB) 9-9-9-24* = 4 sticks of ram, and take one away? Does that make a triple-channel when I’m then only uses three memory sticks or do I have to buy memory sticks in three modules? :??: 

Thank you for your previous answers.
/M9A2

If you have a X58 motherboard, you will(usually) have 6 ram slots.
If you populate 3 or 6 of them you will operate in 3 channel mode.
If you have anything else, read your motherboard manual to tell where to put the sticks and what mode they will be in.

Similarly, if you have 4 slots, two or 4 sticks will get you dual channel mode. 1 or 3 sticks mode will be determined by the motherboard, probably all single channel.

Still, the benefit of adding an odd stick for more ram will outweigh any minor loss of not running with the maximum mode.

Ram is sold in kits for good reasons. Ram with the same part number from the same vendor can still be built with different manufacturing specs. Some motherboards are very sensitive to this. It is best to get a kit with the amount of ram that you need.

Most of the time you can get mismatched ram to work. It will run at the lowest common denominator of specs. The key is that all the ram must use the same voltage.
July 28, 2010 8:09:55 PM

geofelt said:
If you have a X58 motherboard, you will(usually) have 6 ram slots.
If you populate 3 or 6 of them you will operate in 3 channel mode.
If you have anything else, read your motherboard manual to tell where to put the sticks and what mode they will be in.

Similarly, if you have 4 slots, two or 4 sticks will get you dual channel mode. 1 or 3 sticks mode will be determined by the motherboard, probably all single channel.

Still, the benefit of adding an odd stick for more ram will outweigh any minor loss of not running with the maximum mode.

Ram is sold in kits for good reasons. Ram with the same part number from the same vendor can still be built with different manufacturing specs. Some motherboards are very sensitive to this. It is best to get a kit with the amount of ram that you need.

Most of the time you can get mismatched ram to work. It will run at the lowest common denominator of specs. The key is that all the ram must use the same voltage.

Thank you.
!