Sign in with
Your question

Changing a Raid 0 to Raid 1.

Last response: in Storage
December 19, 2011 3:32:25 PM

Hello,
I recently bought a new XPS8300 from dell and it comes shipped with a Raid 0 configuration. Now this is not ideal for me but I was informed by the salesman that I could easily un-Raid the system. I am quite savvy with computers and usually know exactly what I am doing but when it comes to raid I skipped learning the knowledge and went straight to SSD's. This computer is for my father and having data security that comes with a RAID 1 is much more desirable.

What is the best way to go about unraiding the new system? Will i need to completely format and reinstall the windows OS or is there a nice feature in the BIOS that will let me change RAID configurations.

More about : changing raid raid

a c 289 G Storage
December 19, 2011 7:06:28 PM

If the only drive in the system is the RAID drive, you will have an interesting problem. If the RAID is only for data, you can backup what is on it, scratch it, build a new RAID 1, and restore the backup. If the OS is on it, you will have to do a re-install, and the Dell restore disks may or may not choke when restoring to a slightly different configuration.

We would love to walk you through options and the process, as long as you are willing to accept the risk of a complete loss of everything on the system and the need to run the factory re-install disks. You do have those disks, do you not?

EDIT: Or run it as-is and do frequent backups, so that if the RAID0 fails your father doesn't lose much.

Call the salesman who assured you that it can be easily un-Raided and have him/her provide instructions!
m
l
December 20, 2011 5:45:12 PM

I'm not worried about losing any of the data on the drives since I just received the computer and will be setting it up over xmas. I was more interested in knowing if I would have to do a complete reinstall of the operating system. Im sure the machine comes with some kind of restore disks, but if it doesnt I have extra windows 7 disks lying around that I can use to install windows.
m
l
a c 289 G Storage
December 20, 2011 7:14:18 PM

You will have to re-initialize the drives to build the RAID 1 array.

This implies that you have to either do a backup before and a restore after, or do a clean re-install.
m
l
!