ga-890gpa-ud3h bsod Onboard VGA (HD 4290)

Boltbat

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Hi,

I've just built a new pc and installed OS today, while testing it is running fine until I decided to try adjusting the resolution. Any time I make a change (reduce) the screen turns black and after about 20 seconds blue screens and restarts. I realised the same issue happens if I try and start any game.

My specs:
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
1 X 2GB Crucial 1333Mhz RAM
XFX 650W XXX Edition
WIn 7 x64
Onboard ATi HD 4290

I wasn't expecting the onboard graphics to be amazing however there is something seriously wrong when it won't even lower the resolution without blue screening.

I'm not into o.c hence why I got 1333 RAM and the part is listed as compatible on the mobo's QVL. I've also ran memtest and it passed although I've not tried it with the dimm in another slot.

I thought at first it was a driver issue however I've updated the GFX driver and chipset drivers to the latest versions with no change. When adjusting the resolution I've tried ATi's catalyst control and window's settings.

At the moment I'm hoping it's something I've got set incorrectly in BIOS but can't seem to find what it would be. I tried setting the RAM ganged & unganged however when ganged is selected POST still displays 'unganged ram'. There is a gfx setting which lets you pick between UMA and/or SidePort and I've tried all three variations without a change.

The only thing I know I've not yet done is upgrade the bios however I think I'll try that next, hope I haven't gone on too much here as just need to know if there is something silly I'm missing. Thanks in advance!

Boltbat

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Hi thanks a lot for getting back to me. I've used these forums and the site a lot over the years but never actually had to ask a question before.

I've just done the BIOS update which went fine however there has been no change in the fault. I've also tried uninstalling the display driver and reinstalling - again no improvement.

Unfortunately the only cards I have around are agp, my plan was basically to make do with the integrated graphics for a month or so and then get a separate card when I could.

I posted a support notice to Gigabyte although they haven't got back to me, I just can't think what else I can try now.

Boltbat

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Thanks again,

I could probably get a card to try it but even if it works I would like to know this issue isn't a physical fault with the board.

I have reserved some hard drive space for dual boot (wanted to try linux out again) so think I will install XP and see if it makes a difference.

Boltbat

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Installed xp and that seems to have done the trick. I also posted at another forum where someone made the point that with the onboard graphics I'd be using up too much ram for win7 to handle.

Thanks for your replies again and I will be getting another stick of ram and a graphics card soon.