Sign in with
Your question

bios won't detect hard drive

Last response: in Storage
December 19, 2011 9:27:01 PM

built my pc hard drive been working for years, now bios wont detect my maxtor 1tb hard drive but it stills detect my 500 gb western digital drive.

More about : bios detect hard drive

a c 261 G Storage
December 19, 2011 9:36:38 PM

Make sure all cables are in properly and that all disk controllers are enabled in BIOS!
m
l
December 19, 2011 10:06:30 PM

They dont last forever it probably bit the big one.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 19, 2011 10:25:00 PM

Looks like time for a new one!!!
m
l
a c 342 G Storage
December 20, 2011 2:30:48 AM

You can try a little trick I have used many times, including once this past weekend. SOMETIMES all that goes wrong on an older drive is that slow corrosion by air develops into a bad contact on one or more pins of a connector. So you power down and disconnect the power cord, then open your case. Carefully disconnect the data ribbon cable from your drive, then reconnect it. Do this three or four times. Now do the same at the other end of the cable where it plugs into the mobo. Repeat for the power supply cable at the HDD. When I'm doing this, I usually do this for all my drives at once. Check to be sure you did not loosen anything by mistake, then close up and apply power. If you're lucky, this will have scraped any dirty surfaces on pins and restored the connections, and your drive will be back.

If this does not solve your problem then you probably really do have a bad HDD.
m
l
December 20, 2011 6:36:42 PM

rolli59 said:
Make sure all cables are in properly and that all disk controllers are enabled in BIOS!

cables are connected power to the drive is ok but something is wrong with data connection on the drive becuse the cable works fine on my other drive.
m
l
a c 261 G Storage
December 20, 2011 7:22:57 PM

peter76 said:
cables are connected power to the drive is ok but something is wrong with data connection on the drive becuse the cable works fine on my other drive.

On the same connector? If so then it looks like your drive has gone bad.
m
l
!