Internet disconnects/resets at random

E5oLJaH

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Hey there. About two weeks ago my home internet connection decided to start randomly disconnect and reconnect at random intervals, there is absolutely no pattern to the disconnects. The "outage" can last from 10 seconds to a minute. It isn't my computer as the computers in other rooms experience the same thing the same time as me (we are all connect to the same router). I suspect that it might have something to do with the router. It is a D-link DSL 504T Gen II. I've watched the lights when these disconnects happen and most of the time they remain normal, apart from the "LAN" lights that represent the computers connected to it. They all seem to flash in 3 second intervals at exactly the same time. Also, during a long "outage" (over a minute) the ADSL light seems to disappear for about 10 seconds. When I look at the Network and Sharing center (I am running Windows 7) it says "Identifying network" or "unknown network" as if it isn't connected to the router, but the lights on the router say different.

Things I've tried:
-resetting the router
-disconnecting the router from power for several minutes then reconnecting
-manually entering IP Address/subnet mask/ect into Local Area Network properties

Sorry for the lack of information, I will try to provide more that is requested. Help please, this is driving me insane - downloading very large files only for the internet to disconnect and me needing to restart the whole thing :fou:

Thanks in advance.

scaye

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
Could be a dieing router. The ADSL light indicates your connection to the DSLAM. If that goes out either it's your provider, or your modem isn't able to keep the connection cause it's going bad.

You should call them and have them replace the equipment if you are using one from them.

E5oLJaH

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Hmmm... I was afraid of that :/
The routers my ISP hands out only have two ethernet slots, and to replace them it costs roughly 150 bucks. For that price, I could get a replacement from a store that is twice as good for half the price. Damn, for the price I pay per month just for internet I'd expect better service then this.