Dual Channel Ram In Single Channel

soonerchad

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Hey,

I have a Biostar NF4UL-A9 motherboard, I have 2x1 gig gskill ram. I also have 2x512 patriot ram, but not using it, get to that in a moment.

When I boot up my computer during post it says single channel with the 2 sticks of gskill. In the manual it says to put the sticks side by side in slot 1 and 3 but they arent the same color.

I tried putting it the other way but computer wont but. This is a new motherboard, the ram is used.

The patriot ram I am thinking one may be bad, but not 100 percent sure. If i try to put it in too, comp wont boot.

Thanks in advance for any help. Its greatly appreciated!!

soonerchad

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
well did a little more research on this based on you guys suggestions. The bios i have i believe is 1.0 and the most current version is 1.2. Biostar doesnt have that version for download, so couldnt try that.

Looked in the bios couldnt find anything about dual channel or really anything about ram except ocling.

The manual describes the dimms as being from left to right: dimm 2, dimm 4, dimm 1, dimm 3 with dimm 2 and dimm one being blue and other two white.

Whenever i put any ram in dimm 2 or dimm 4 it wont post. Will only post with ram in dimm 1 or dimm 1 and dimm 3.

I bought the board on craigslist, looks new guy said he never used it, but maybe it was screwed thats why he sold it? Guess good thing it was cheap, lol.

Well I guess Ill have to give up and just use it in single and sell the other extra ram I have.

Thanks for the help guys!!!