johnyrockshell

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Ok, as we all probably know, the athlon ii X4 is the best CPU for about 100$. so, my question is, How many threads does it have? Does it have 4 Threads And 4 Cores like the comparible Intel Core 2 Quad or only has 2 like the Athlon 62 x2?

dickcruz

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
4 threads. 4 physical cores with no hyperthreading. a step up would be the phenom II x4's because they have L3 cache and everythign's lot smoother, if you put in some more money and get those or manage to get an ahtlon x4 620 then you can try and unlock it with an ASUS board to give you L3 cache. make sure that if you want to overclock you look at the sequence on the processor because CL3 overclocks a lot smoother on phenoms.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
@dickcruz

By ht I mean h-threading not h-transport.

Hyperthreading is 4 cores + 4 threads. Like you and bluescreen said. :)

Or are you trying to say the c2q series has 4 cores and (+) 4 threads?

OR am I misunderstanding the OP and he really means simply 4 cores? (Which would be odd considering you both mentioned hyperthreading)

Hyperthreading: 4 cores, 2 threads per core = ability to run 8 threads at once.

johnny, a cpu can run as least as many threads in parallel as it has cores. It can run more per core if it employs technology such as hyperthreading. All AMD processors as of current run one thread per core. All intel processors except the i7 and P4 with hyperthreading can run one thread per core. The i7 and certain P4 models can run 2 threads per core.

loneninja

Distinguished

You forgot that the I3 runs 2 threads/core, and so does the I5 6XX series.