Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD Athlon II X4

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 10, 2010 4:21:19 PM

Ok, as we all probably know, the athlon ii X4 is the best CPU for about 100$. so, my question is, How many threads does it have? Does it have 4 Threads And 4 Cores like the comparible Intel Core 2 Quad or only has 2 like the Athlon 62 x2?

More about : amd athlon

March 10, 2010 4:57:53 PM

4 threads. 4 physical cores with no hyperthreading. a step up would be the phenom II x4's because they have L3 cache and everythign's lot smoother, if you put in some more money and get those or manage to get an ahtlon x4 620 then you can try and unlock it with an ASUS board to give you L3 cache. make sure that if you want to overclock you look at the sequence on the processor because CL3 overclocks a lot smoother on phenoms.
a b à CPUs
March 10, 2010 5:06:56 PM

It doesn't have hyper threading, so 4 cores = 4 threads.

As for the best CPU, you can try your luck at unlocking the PII 955 x2 into a quad core, but that's hit or miss.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 10, 2010 5:14:21 PM

Fyi the c2q series does not have HT. You are thinking of i7.
March 11, 2010 1:09:02 PM

Raidur said:
Fyi the c2q series does not have HT. You are thinking of i7.


No he's right dude he talked about 4 cores with 4 threads, that's not HT technology
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2010 10:34:05 PM

@dickcruz

By ht I mean h-threading not h-transport.

Hyperthreading is 4 cores + 4 threads. Like you and bluescreen said. :) 

Or are you trying to say the c2q series has 4 cores and (+) 4 threads?

OR am I misunderstanding the OP and he really means simply 4 cores? (Which would be odd considering you both mentioned hyperthreading)
a c 131 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 13, 2010 3:56:53 AM

Hyperthreading: 4 cores, 2 threads per core = ability to run 8 threads at once.

johnny, a cpu can run as least as many threads in parallel as it has cores. It can run more per core if it employs technology such as hyperthreading. All AMD processors as of current run one thread per core. All intel processors except the i7 and P4 with hyperthreading can run one thread per core. The i7 and certain P4 models can run 2 threads per core.
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 13, 2010 5:23:52 AM

enzo matrix said:
Hyperthreading: 4 cores, 2 threads per core = ability to run 8 threads at once.

johnny, a cpu can run as least as many threads in parallel as it has cores. It can run more per core if it employs technology such as hyperthreading. All AMD processors as of current run one thread per core. All intel processors except the i7 and P4 with hyperthreading can run one thread per core. The i7 and certain P4 models can run 2 threads per core.


You forgot that the I3 runs 2 threads/core, and so does the I5 6XX series.
a c 131 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 13, 2010 5:39:35 AM

loneninja said:
You forgot that the I3 runs 2 threads/core, and so does the I5 6XX series.

I did :) 
!