Sign in with
Your question

SSD going out? BF3 crashes than cant find my ssd, until its Replugged.

Last response: in Storage
December 19, 2011 11:21:00 PM

OK IM SO MAD! But this has happened 3 times today out of the blue, first issue like this ever.

M4 64GB, used for windows BF3 is NOT on this drive but my storage drive. Bf3 will randomly crash, and my computer will restart but cant find my ssd. I HAVE TO UN PLUG the power and restart it to find it THAN it gets stuck on windows logo THAN restart it again to turn back on and act like its brand new.

WTF DOES THIS MAKE SENSE?

Also BF3 has a huge bug where sometimes the weapon doesnt load and I can die and die but not shoot. Each crash was with that bug. Is it BF3? My SSD? Or my storage drive that is dieing after 2-3 years of being turned on for 24/7.

Where to even start dissecting this problem? I am now contemplating an backup/ new drive for storage as I dont want to lose my things. But is the worst time to spend money.
December 20, 2011 12:21:33 AM

Just did it again but my weapon was loaded. Computer just froze. WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO HAPPEN IN A HDD SHORTAGE!

Im gonna deal with this migraine tomorrow. But any advice is appreciated. I suppose I should start with a re-installation.
m
l
December 20, 2011 12:31:30 AM

There are some great crash diagnostics tools available. Here is a great writeup that you can try out to see if it helps, but I wouldn't blame any specific hardware yet
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 20, 2011 12:56:40 AM

Also I was wrong BF3 was on the SSD. Re installing now.
m
l
December 20, 2011 1:22:36 AM

Now it took 5 restarts to get into windows and it crashed while surfing the web. HOW can you verify if its the SSD or not?
m
l
December 20, 2011 4:40:55 PM

If you just hate your SSD then throw it away and reinstall windows onto your traditional hard drive. I doubt it will fix your issue though.

Since you didn't comment on the link I provided I'm guessing you didn't read it. Don't worry though, I will still see what I can do to help, I need more information though.

If you want to truly rule out your SSD, then do a full backup of your M4. Download the newest firmware for it from Crucial's Website (firware updates wipe the data from a SSD) thenapply the update and reinstall windows and see if its still crashing.
m
l
December 20, 2011 5:23:04 PM

I love it but why is this problem so sudden.

I did read that article but was not helpful in the slightest.

SSD is up to date. All sticks of ram tested and stressed individually.

I downloaded firefox 2 times first time was instant freeze not responding, second was ok. I think everything has been ruled out but the SSD, bad sectors (??? w/e they are called on a SSD).
m
l
December 20, 2011 5:38:26 PM

SSD Tweaker - will help you on that case.

There are few SSD Tweak guide on other web pages.

Such as disable search and superfatch stuff like that.

How ever up to date SSD cause BSOD - this is not really good sign.

My recommend is if your SSD RMA is ok please to do so.

After this steps.

Before install SSD - check your main board.

SATA - must AHCI
C1 or C6 - disable (Any option that regarding save energy please disable them)

Only connect with your SSD first time and clean install windows 7.

download SSD Tweaker to do some tweak (just click auto tweak and reboot)

then download all the updates for your windows 7 and driver for your hardware.

and see it if does problems still cause the problems.

That's all i can do it for you right now.

good luck.

ps . open cmd with admin and type

fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0

trim is very important with SSD user.
m
l
December 20, 2011 5:45:33 PM

All thats been done, Downloaded HD tune and SSD life Pro. Both say my drives are 100% great and that my SSD will last for 8 more years.

SSD is up to date.

The culprits could be: Mobo, SSD and maybe the ram (starting to wander about that ram, maybe even the slot its in).

Computer becomes unresponsive and freezes and sometimes crashes (randomly) But always has to be restarted. Than 70% of the time when restarted Cant find the SSD, and has to be unplugged to find it.

The first problem sounds like ram, or SSD. The last problem sounds like Mobo/Bios or SSD.

EDIT: Windows 7 is not updated to service pack 1. Doubt It would download any way nor have an impact.
m
l
December 21, 2011 8:38:01 PM

I'm going to bow out of this thread after this, but hopefully anyone in the future can see this and make use of it. I apologize in advance for such a long post.

You still haven't done anything to single out if your problem is your SSD, or something else. Your computer knows why its locking up and why its crashing, try marking down the time this happens then looking through your event viewer for systems events at that time. Verify if the symtoms are still present in safe mode. run diagnostics like BlueScreenView to try to figure out why your system is blue screening. Use windows debugging tools (here is a great writeup) to find out why your system is crashing.

Another thing to try is asking on forums for help, but when you ask for help you need to provide as much information as possible. Just telling us your system crashes doesn't help anyone, everyone's system has crashed at some point in time. The more details you can provide that immediately surround your crash events the better we can help you, some simple one sentence descriptions are below, after the : I have included some keywords that you can put into Google to see possible resolutions for these issues. (all of these are quite common.)

I get a Blue screen of death with stop error 0x000007b every time my computer turns on. : power on BSOD ending in 07B
After my monitor goes to sleep the system becomes unresponsive, only after hitting the reset button does it work again. : System lockup after sleep/hibernate reset/power required
When I power on my computer it shows windows logo then restarts over an over again, I do not get to login screen. : System stuck in boot loop before windows login

If all of this fails you should reimage your system. Disconnect everything that is not necessary to boot the computer. (Power, MB, CPU, RAM, Video) disable everything that you can from your system board 's BIOS to ensure its not having a conflict: extra ports, the sound card, extra usb, parallel ports all of it. Reinstall windows then install the drivers for your motherboard, then drivers for your video card only. Do not install iTunes, or VLC, or dvd shrink or anything else not even Anti virus (stay off the internet!), just motherboard and video card. Install your game and test to see if it works. If everything appears to be working fine then slowly add in components and enable settings and keep testing. After all the hardware has been reconnected and enabled start reinstalling software. Start with antivirus, and work your way back into the full suite of applications you have.

When you troubleshoot a computer problem try not to assume anything. Start by logically remove possibilities from the equation. As soon as you assume its the power supply is bad, you will find out the person's power strip was turned off.

I have a feeling all of this will fall on deaf ears so let me end this with something simple.

Replacing hardware is expensive, it will cost you shipping and usually a restocking fee, and during the RMA process (up to 3 months for some manufacturers) you will not have whichever part you think is bad. If your having general computer problems, RMA is the last resort if you are unable to get a single piece of hardware working.

m
l
February 9, 2012 8:08:02 PM

Crucial M4 256GB SSD added and Blue Screen crashes only with BF3?

I’ve got a similar problem with no real solution. I built a liquid cooled dual 6990 crossfire setup with two 600GB Raptors hooked up in RAID on the Intel 6Gbs chipset side of my Asus P8Z68-V Pro MB with 8GB RAM. I chose the “don’t trust SSDs route until proven good” approach and just recently added a brand new (latest firmware updated) Crucial M4 256 GB SSD to my config. So, a 100% fresh Win 7 64Bit OS install on the SSD for a true dual boot config (both of which are Win 7 64bit).

Now, with everything being the same driver wise, I have no issues playing BF3 on my RAID HDs. However, when I run off the SSD, I will end up blue screen crashing after some period of time 5-15 minutes of play. Oh, of course I’ve ensured all the key SSD Win 7 setups are correct and we’re talking perfect fresh install with all on the new SSD, not an OS transfer.

- Doing anything but playing BF3 works great on my SSD.
- Tried all the “don’t overclock” things I could try to no affect.
- All latest BIOS, firmware and other driver updates I can find.
- Tried 4 difference SATAIII cables (long and short) along with different ports on the MB .. No change
- Rerouted for dedicated SSD power from by 1200W P/S in my system that never exceeds 800W in peak use anyway.
- Of course trying everything I could in the BIOS even “under clocking” slightly but no SSD is worth under clocking to have it work anyway.
- Ran the SSD off the Marvell controller side (tried both ports) but no real success.
- Running off the 3GBs side, yields Direct X low memory issues preventing BF3 to even start?
- If I take BF3 out of the equation, everything is great!
- No issues on the same system using my other boot option in RAID?

Suspect:
- Motherboard resource sharing collision that occurs when a certain amount of the ‘right’ things happen to stress the bandwidth on my system when playing BF3? This MB seems to unfortunately share too many of the wrong resources and in my case it’s the CrossFire PCI with Marvell controller setup. I would kill for a solution here to what has driven me nuts to solve!
m
l
February 9, 2012 8:08:18 PM

I’ve got a similar problem with no real solution. I built a liquid cooled dual 6990 crossfire setup with two 600GB Raptors hooked up in RAID on the Intel 6Gbs chipset side of my Asus P8Z68-V Pro MB with 8GB RAM. I chose the “don’t trust SSDs route until proven good” approach and just recently added a brand new (latest firmware updated) Crucial M4 256 GB SSD to my config. So, a 100% fresh Win 7 64Bit OS install on the SSD for a true dual boot config (both of which are Win 7 64bit).

Now, with everything being the same driver wise, I have no issues playing BF3 on my RAID HDs. However, when I run off the SSD, I will end up blue screen crashing after some period of time 5-15 minutes of play. Oh, of course I’ve ensured all the key SSD Win 7 setups are correct and we’re talking perfect fresh install with all on the new SSD, not an OS transfer.

- Tried 4 difference SATAIII cables (long and short) along with different ports on the MB .. No change
- Rerouted for dedicated SSD power from by 1200W P/S in my system that never exceeds 800W in peak use anyway.
- Of course trying everything I could in the BIOS even “under clocking” slightly but no SSD is worth under clocking to have it work anyway.
- Ran the SSD off the Marvell controller side (tried both ports) but no real success.
- Running off the 3GBs side, yields Direct X low memory issues preventing BF3 to even start?

Suspect:
- Motherboard resource sharing collision that occurs when a certain amount of the ‘right’ things happen to stress the bandwidth on my system when playing BF3? This MB seems to unfortunately share too many of the wrong resources and in my case it’s the CrossFire PCI with Marvell controller setup. I would kill for a solution here to what has driven me nuts to solve!
m
l
February 9, 2012 8:12:19 PM

Suspect:
m
l
!