Netburst go away!

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
This is for those that keep recommending gpu upgrades to people with Netburst based systems (Pentium 4s Pentium Ds) when their money would best be saved for a new pc. :pfff:

NOBODY with a Pentium 4 based system needs to upgrade anything except perhaps their ram at this point. The Netburst architecture is extremely inefficient and those still using it don't need to be prolonging its life.

The Core architecture gives more than double the performance per clock of a Pentium 4 while consuming far less power and generating a fraction of the heat. This is only per core. Per core it would be quadruple the performance while consuming far less power and consuming a fraction of the heat. A 1 Ghz Core 2 Duo is the equivalent of a ~5 Ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott) not including code enhancements from SSSE3 and SSE4. And that is only for the original Core 2s, the 45nm Penryn design increased performance per clock even more and consumed even less power.

Now that Core 2 is being phased out (slowly but surely starting in January) and Core i7, i5, i3 is taking the performance and efficiency crown. Netburst is without a doubt DEAD. Let it disappear and stop flogging a dead horse. :non:

For those that have had their gpu die and are looking for a replacement because they can't afford a new pc yet then the most powerful card they should buy is a Radeon HD 4550 or Geforce 9500 GT. Anything stronger would be a waste.

That is all. :)

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

Why don't you try putting your Radeon HD 5870 in there and see what happens :kaola:

Not all people are looking for a new computer. To extend the life of a Dual core pentium D and even some single core with a upgrade to a $ 50 -60 GPU that performs on level with the high end $450 dollar GPU's when those systems were built, for me that is only reasonable.

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

For Pentium Ds I can see the reasoning behind that since they are not what I would call recent but not old enough to be completely useless. The main focus is the whole upgrading Pentium 4s thing. It's a waste of money when Pentium 4s can't even fully utilize a gpu stronger than a Radeon HD 4550.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Why?
Just why?
Are you saying we should tell them to throw away their system & buy a new one?
They can upgrade from an old Intel IGP to a 4350 & enjoy BF: 1942, BF: Vietnam, C&C: Generals?

1. You don't know what games they play
2. You don't know what resolutions they run
3. The P4 isn't that weak
4. The Pentium D isn't that much of a boost, most games back then were single-threaded
5. Why SHOULDN'T we recommend a 4350 so they can finally max out BF: 1942 or play that dusty game?

6. Nostalgia?

They spent money for that P4, I don't want them to think they can't upgrade, they can.

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

Did you not see what I said?
I said people shouldn't be recommending anything stronger than a 4550.
Upgrading with something extremely cheap which won't be held back a lot like that is fine.
What aggravates me so much is when people recommend 4670s and up for those users, it's a waste!

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

The price difference between the lowest priced 4550 and lowest priced 4670 on newegg is $27.
To some of these people with these old systems that can be a lot of money. That's why they still have that system in the first place because they want to spend as little money as possible.
And by the time you would start getting to the point where a 4670 would be choking on frames the cpu (and on some systems slow DDR ram) would already have been struggling to supply data to the gpu and the framerate declines much earlier than it normally would.
So why not tell them a gpu that they could use to the maximum potential instead of one that would cost more and they wouldn't benefit from enough to justify that cost?

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
agreed with people throwing out really old systems wondering why they aren't getting good fps.

Don't agree that SSSE3 and SSE4 etc so call optimizations are a selling point for the maybe 1% in performance increase but 10% increase in code size.

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

A Pentium D system could possibly see a benefit from a 9800 GT, A Pentium 4 on the other hand would stop improving at a 4650. Neither ever need to be paired with a 5750 that is a complete waste. And if someone is keeping the old system to save money then that is costing the Earth.

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

That is very true, but those with AGP have no excuse.