Need Help Picking a Few Parts for my First Gaming PC Build

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP

BUDGET RANGE: Looking for the build total not to exceed $650, extremely budget, but most of the parts have already been bought

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, main computer for general use

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Don't need monitor, keyboard, or mouse. I've already bought the case, HDD, processor, and video card. However, if there are any convincing or well-backed recommendations, I'd return/exchange them for better parts.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I prefer Newegg, bought from them before, always satisfied, but open to any site

PARTS PREFERENCES: Don't Have any parts preferences, they all just have to work together. :lol:

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe (No experience, makes me nervous) SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe, but won't buy second graphics card right away.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1366x968 (720p 32" HDTV)

Okay, here's my list of parts:

AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz
PQI Turbo 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 667 (PC2 5400)
hec X-Power Pro 600
Sony Optiarc Black 24x DVD/CD Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB HDD
MSI GeForce GTX 260
Fokconn A76ML-K MoBo
NZXT Nemesis Elite Case

Now, I've bought some, but can still decide on my RAM, CD Drive, MoBo, and PSU. Let me know if there are any parts I should really return and switch, or if I should pick different parts of the above.

Thanks! :hello:
9 answers Last reply
More about need picking parts gaming build
  1. Reasonable enough suggestions. The MoBo is a promised Xmas gift, so I'll give both of the MoBos you had named and let her pick, as my original board had been $55, but I didn't realize it didn't support AM3 until she had already bought it. I don't want to ask for a replacement that's too much more expensive, though I can always get cash and make up the difference. Either way, thank you. :D
  2. Ah, I see. I still don't know a lot of the specifics yet, thanks.
  3. Start over (again). Look at your CPU. Yeah it seems cheap fpr $99 and you can overclock but with your budget, you should be able to have a more powerful CPU, at least an X4 925 which would push your GTX 260 much better than the Propus 2.6 Ghz.
  4. For some reason it wouldn't let me post when I last tried. Anyway...

I don't see the point in taking the time to return the processor I currently have, as well as spending an extra $41, just for an extra 0.2 GHz. Unless there's something else to it that I'm missing...
  5. Okay, so I'm about ready to start putting all of this together. Just need to get the RAM. I'm getting the CD Drive OEM, what cables and such do I need to buy?
  6. As I've said, this is my very first build. Could you point me to a good go-to guide for everything I need to know/do? I found one at pcguide.com, but it hasn't been updated since it was first created, and that was in May of '05. I thought I may need something more current than that...
  7. Alright, I got stiffed with my graphics card. Just got an e-mail today that they were "out of stock" and apologizing for the inconvenience. The next cheapest GTX 260 is 169.99, plus shipping.

Taking a look at the "Best Cards for the Money" feature for January, there are some interesting recommendations.

What changes would I need to make to run two GTS 250s in SLI?
    Or what do you think is the best recommendation of them all for a sub-$200 single card setup?
  8. Thanks for the quick reply! I think I'm gonna go with the ATI 5770 and forget about SLI for now. I'll mess around with that when I tackle my next build after I finish undergrad.

All goes well, I should be starting to build this in about a week.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product