dandean1989

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
i'm looking to build a new computer and looking at benchmarks and so on it seems this socket is still supporting some pretty good processors... but in your opinion is it worth using this in a new system? after all i dont have a massive budget ( £500-800) and i need a monitor too, what do you think? thanks

From an AMD fan.

No it's not worth it IMO, get an Intel 32nm clarkdale system, it will be fast enough and pretty cheap.
From an INtel fan.

Seriously, newer chips are faster clock for clock, run cooler, and overclock better.

Here is a good article on <$150 cpu's. You could do well with any of them.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-processor-core-i3-athlon-ii,2666.html

From an Intel fan.

idk about you but it looked like the PI X4 940/945 did just fine, as did the $100 Athlon II X4 630

and the 945 consistently hits clocks where the cpu isn't a bottleneck either

I like the article. I saw the same thing.

Exactly my point. There is good value in all of these chips.
I understand that the 540 will be getting a small price reduction this month which makes things a bit more interesting.

If one is an overclocker, the 32nm chips will go higher and easier.
If your games or apps can make use of 3 or more threads, then an AMD quad is a good way to go.

Gamers consistently spend too much on the cpu and not enough on the graphics card. You want a balanced system.

+1 geofelt. Great article to refer to if aspiring to build a fast, modern budget machine. I have the 940 PII quad running for a long while now. The board and chip cost a little over 2 bills. I have tons of money into 775's by now.

and at the same time more and more games are starting to use more threads, moving from 2 to 3 cores sees a huge improvement, and games like BF:BC2 can utilize up to 8 threads if need be (the game chocks on a lot of dual cores)