Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

List of Rebranded Cards... ATi & Nvidia

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 30, 2009 11:36:04 PM

Example:

1) 8800Ultra - 9800gtx - 9800gtx+ - GTS250.

2) 4850- 5750
a c 1316 U Graphics card
a c 147 Î Nvidia
December 30, 2009 11:40:18 PM

G92 8800GT 512mb = 9800GT 512mb
G92 8800GTS 512mb = 9800GTX 512mb
9800GTX+ = GTS250 still G92 but on a smaller die with higher clock than the GTS GTX cards above
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2009 11:46:16 PM

liquidsnake718 said:
Example:

1) 8800Ultra - 9800gtx - 9800gtx+ - GTS250.

2) 4850- 5750


The Geforce 8800 Ultra and Geforce 9800 GTX (and its other names) are 2 different GPUs. The 9800 GT on the other hand is a renamed 8800 GT.

And the 4850 and 5750 are completely different GPUs. ATI hasn't renamed any of their cards, so far Nvidia is the only one that has done it.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2009 11:47:09 PM

Care to explain how a 5750 is a rebranded 4850?

Rebrands:
8800GT - 9800GT
8800GS - 9600GSO
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2009 11:59:30 PM

ati never needed to rebrand a card since designing a new ati card costs as much as designing a new nvidia sticker :kaola: 
a c 1316 U Graphics card
a c 147 Î Nvidia
December 31, 2009 12:03:22 AM

sabot00 said:
Care to explain how a 5750 is a rebranded 4850?

Rebrands:
8800GT - 9800GT
8800GS - 9600GSO

they later changed the GSO they are not all equal.
December 31, 2009 1:09:24 AM

edeawillrule said:
The Geforce 8800 Ultra and Geforce 9800 GTX (and its other names) are 2 different GPUs. The 9800 GT on the other hand is a renamed 8800 GT.

And the 4850 and 5750 are completely different GPUs. ATI hasn't renamed any of their cards, so far Nvidia is the only one that has done it.



Oh, I was under the impression that it was... well preformance wise are they similar?
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2009 1:33:23 AM

liquidsnake718 said:
Oh, I was under the impression that it was... well performance wise are they similar?


You mean the 4850 and 5750? In that case yes they are very close performance wise.
If you mean the 8800 Ultra and 9800 GTX then they are very close in performance as well with the 8800 Ultra beating the vanilla 9800 GTX in most cases but the 9800 GTX+ / GTS 250 performing just above the 8800 Ultra in most cases.

Best solution

a c 106 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 31, 2009 2:45:03 AM
Share

4850 != 5750 (or <> if you prefer :D  )

The GPU is rather different, tho not completely different, and is made for DX11 rather than DX10. The memory controller of the 5750 is also optimized for a narrow 128-bit interface with GDDR5 while the 4850 has a wider 256-bit bus paired with GDDR3 memory. Also, the 5750 has some of it's sp disabled (as opposed to the 5770), while the 4850 has all 800 enabled.

As for the nVidia side, yes basically

8800GTS 512 = 9800GTX = 9800GTX+ = GTS250

While the first two are based on the G92 and the latter two the G92b, they are essentially the same chip with the biggest difference being the G92b is simply made at a smaller process and the clock speed they are set at. The 8800 Ultra tho is based on the older G80 chip which is why it has a wider bus (and uses a heck of alot more power).
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 168 Î Nvidia
December 31, 2009 7:04:45 AM

edeawillrule said:
The Geforce 8800 Ultra and Geforce 9800 GTX (and its other names) are 2 different GPUs. The 9800 GT on the other hand is a renamed 8800 GT.

And the 4850 and 5750 are completely different GPUs. ATI hasn't renamed any of their cards, so far Nvidia is the only one that has done it.

Apart from the dual GPU card which no longer has the x2 tag or states which GPU's it uses like the last ones did.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 31, 2009 7:18:52 AM

That's not really a rename, it just wasn't named what people thought the Hemlock would be named, it was never launched as 5870X2.

There have been a few renames in the past especially with the R9xxx generations (including the R8500->R9100), but not in recent history.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 168 Î Nvidia
December 31, 2009 7:27:29 AM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
That's not really a rename, it just wasn't named what people thought the Hemlock would be named, it was never launched as 5870X2.

There have been a few renames in the past especially with the R9xxx generations (including the R8500->R9100), but not in recent history.

Whilst not a rename it does show that they have not stuck religiously to their naming scheme either and why should they?, a company can rename it's products as many times as it wishes and many do, just look at motor vehicles for one prime example of how the same collection of parts can be repackaged (or not) and sold as something new.
December 31, 2009 1:12:39 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Whilst not a rename it does show that they have not stuck religiously to their naming scheme either and why should they?, a company can rename it's products as many times as it wishes and many do, just look at motor vehicles for one prime example of how the same collection of parts can be repackaged (or not) and sold as something new.


I think you are trying to argue about the colour of shi!e not being brown there dude.


Or fishing. ;) 
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 31, 2009 1:12:44 PM

9500GT = 8600 GTS
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 168 Î Nvidia
December 31, 2009 1:27:30 PM

Amiga500 said:
I think you are trying to argue about the colour of shi!e not being brown there dude.


Or fishing. ;) 

Fishing is boring when the waters are teeming.
December 31, 2009 1:37:47 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Fishing is boring when the waters are teeming.


True, true...

No challenge = No fun.
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2009 2:59:50 PM

jyjjy said:
9500GT = 8600 GTS


Their specs are the same (clock speeds are different) but they're actually different cards. The 8600 GTS was G84 the 9500 GT is G96a/b.
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 31, 2009 3:39:11 PM

Alright. I thought I had read that it was just a die shrink.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 1, 2010 3:41:14 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Whilst not a rename it does show that they have not stuck religiously to their naming scheme either and why should they?


Because the switch from R9800->X800->X1900->HD2900/X2K and then the drop of the suffix nomenclature gave you the idea they did so?

Quote:
, a company can rename it's products as many times as it wishes and many do, just look at motor vehicles for one prime example of how the same collection of parts can be repackaged (or not) and sold as something new.


And people can also call them on that, but saying that changing the naming scheme is the same as renaming the same part isn't 'fishing' as you put it, it's simply as misleading as the rebranding itself, and affects the same targets, those who know no better.

Not admirable in either case.

New Year = new strategy, or just more of the same?


a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 168 Î Nvidia
January 1, 2010 7:18:12 AM

More of the same probably and I don't think any amount of calling them out on it is going to change that, it's just something people are going to have to get used to. Renaming is going to carry on as long as terms like 'specifications can be changed without prior notice' can be found in the bumf that comes with bits of kit that comes from pretty much any industry.
January 19, 2010 4:35:06 AM

arent there more to this list? or cards that at least preform similar if not exactly the same as each other??
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 19, 2010 5:09:49 AM

There are tons of cards that perform similarly to each other. We are just talking about cards that have the same processor with a new name slapped on them in order to appear new.
For general performance comparisons this chart is pretty good;
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-310-5970,24...
February 1, 2010 7:21:18 AM

jyjjy said:
There are tons of cards that perform similarly to each other. We are just talking about cards that have the same processor with a new name slapped on them in order to appear new.
For general performance comparisons this chart is pretty good;
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-310-5970,24...

yeah ive seen that chart here, it does show that even though there are cards based on the same processor, the benchmarks and preformance varies due to die-shrinks, drivers, and other aspects such as clock speeds, ect...

I know that the 5770 is a different card all together but I basically see a 4870 or a 4890 everytime I hear someone bought a 5770.
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 8:10:57 AM

liquidsnake718 said:
yeah ive seen that chart here, it does show that even though there are cards based on the same processor, the benchmarks and preformance varies due to die-shrinks, drivers, and other aspects such as clock speeds, ect...

I know that the 5770 is a different card all together but I basically see a 4870 or a 4890 everytime I hear someone bought a 5770.


You need your eyes checked hard. The performance might be similar but those cards have different architectures.
!