What 240GB+ should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdotH

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Getting rid of my random bsod-ing 120gb MAX IOPS and need a solid buy...looking to buy asap as this is my OS and need to get back up and running.

I dont want slow but I definately want reliablity.
Dont understand the differences in the controllers thought the MAX IOPS would be solid but its not....even with 2.15 firmware.

What should I get....I havent been able to get a definitive answer yet.

Wildfire=bad/ mixedreviews
Crucial m4=reliable? but is it fast?
Samsung=not sure what model compares to MAX IOPS
ADATAT=not sure of brand etc.
Mushkin Chronos or even the deluxe=fast but is it reliable?

THANKS ALL!

Solution
If reliability and stability is a major concern, Samsung staged a major coup. Samsung was awarded contracts to supply Dell, Sony, Lenovo, Apple and other off the shelf brands with OEM versions of their 470 Series SATA 2 3Gb/s ssd's. Eventually the 470's were released for retail sale to consumers. There have been no major issues reported. The 470 has an absolutely stellar record.

Then Samsung released their 830 Series SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's as successors to the 470. The first ones were OEM versions for Dell and the other off the shelf brands followed by release of retail versions for consumers. The ssd's are Samsung's own design with their own components and firmware. It looks like Samsung got it right again.

Here is a link the to ssd...

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
I'm going to put in a vote for the M4. When the M4 loses benchmarks it's usually not by much and personally I don't think anyone could pick out a speed difference outside of the benchmarks anyway. I own a 128GB Crucial M4 and it gets great benchmarks.

The Samsung 830 and the Mushkin Chronos get great reviews although I can't speak much to their reliability. The ADATA S511 SSD is also supposed to be a great drive but they're considerably more expensive than the other choices ($500 for 240GB). Also, like you say, the Wildfire gets mixed reviews. When I think of SSD reliability I think of the Crucial M4 and the Intel 510 or Intel 320. However the 510 is crazy expensive ($575 for 250GB) and the 320 are only sata II.

If reliability and stability is a major concern, Samsung staged a major coup. Samsung was awarded contracts to supply Dell, Sony, Lenovo, Apple and other off the shelf brands with OEM versions of their 470 Series SATA 2 3Gb/s ssd's. Eventually the 470's were released for retail sale to consumers. There have been no major issues reported. The 470 has an absolutely stellar record.

Then Samsung released their 830 Series SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's as successors to the 470. The first ones were OEM versions for Dell and the other off the shelf brands followed by release of retail versions for consumers. The ssd's are Samsung's own design with their own components and firmware. It looks like Samsung got it right again.

Here is a link the to ssd database:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and then click on the links to the technical reviews.

Solution

JdotH

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
JohnnyLucky,

Though I appreciate your posting I would be remise to not mention that you post the same 2 things in just about every thread I see you comment on in this forum.
First being what u just posted here and second being:

"For stability and reliability Samsung can't be beat. There are no major issues or problems with their ssd's. Their record is absolutely stellar.

Here is a link to the ssd database:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-st [...] abase.html

You can scroll down to the Samsung section and then click on the links to the technical reviews."

So I dont trust what you recommend as I feel you are a rep for them or get some gain at pointing every1 to ur site.

JdotH

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011

Thanx for the reply....
I think I am veto-ing all OCZ products as reliability is my goal now. My Max IOPS proved otherwise...just went and posted a newegg review and turns out the 5 b4 me had the same issues.

So my hunt continues....Crucial M4 is the best recommendation so far...as I have heard from 2 ppl that they are reliable/solid. Just need some convincing...or a better recommend.

Thnx all!

JdotH - You are partially correct.

I do post the same answer repeatedly. In fact, I cut and paste repeatedly. It's is much more efficient than typing the same answer over and over. The reason I do it is because the same questions are repeated over and over. If you have been following Tom's Hardware for a while you would notice that I post the same response repeatedly about Intel SRT and caching. Just about one year ago I posted repeatedly about Intel ssd's. Go back 3 or 4 years ago and you will find I posted the same responses repeatedly in the Cases, Power Supplies, and Mods section as well as the Heatsinks and Air Cooling section.

The ssd database I maintain is listed in the permanent sticky located at the very top of this section of the forum. I list all consumer oriented ssd's that are currently available and some enterprise class ssd's. The links in the database lead to technical reviews and the manufacturer's product pages. The ssd database does not contain any advertising or recommendations of any type. Just basic factual information.

I am not a representive for Samsung or any other company. I do not receive any compensation in any form from anyone. Samsung simply has a proven track record. Recently Tom's Hardware added the Samsung 830 to the top tier of their ssd hierarchy chart:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-price-ssd,3070-6.html

BTW - From time to time I have mentioned that the Crucial m4 is popular with gamers and enthusists. I don't think I've ever posted a negative comment about the m4.

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
I think the M4 and the 830 are going to be your top two educated recommendations. I recommended the M4 but I can't really argue with the 830 whereas I can argue with OCZ (unreliable), ADATA (their competitive drive is too expensive), Patriot (mixed reviews), and Intel (you have to pick between fast or competitively priced).

I should mention that the Tom's Hierarchy chart for SSD's is based on performance (10% difference between each tier) and does not factor in reliability.

Also, you wouldn't really want a member to be posting different advice every time he or she finds the same question - that's a little counter intuitive. JohnnyLucky always posts knowledgeable advice and the SSD database is a pretty impressive and comprehensive collection of information.

Meganano

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

As I recall, last month Johnny was one of the guys who sold me a Crucial M4, but Samsung has a better dental plan, plus a mounting bracket and a free game :)

JdotH

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Thank you all.
And Thank you JonnyLucky for your time & expertise in this matter and for being patient with my accusations derived from caution.

Think the Samsung wins $389 at newegg now....should I get it somwhere else?
And again this is the best I should get right?

meganano - A minor correction. I did not sell you a Crucial m4. I posted comments about the m4.

Jdoth - I usually check newegg.com, amazon.com, and google shopping results. Right now prices seem to be identical and holding steady at right around $389 for a 256Gb retail version with a few extra goodies. However, it looks like the free game promotion is over. There is a remote possibility that a vendor might have a year end sale next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.