External to internal? help!

danielp1213

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
Hey guys I just wanted to ask a quick question. If I was to take an external drive (WD my passport 750GB) and take it out of the enclosure would i be able to put it in my laptop? Also would it be faster than my current drive? its a 500GB 5400RPM drive. Both are NTFS format.

If any other info is needed just ask. I will try to find it.

Solution

Normally it will show in the device manager. You can access the device manager under Windows 7 by using start search and just type device manager.

Once loaded you can select disk drives and it will be listed there.

As mentioned above, you may not gain noticeable speed. I know going from my old 60GB to 320GB had a speed boost, but that was thanks to PRM and a faster drive.
It is hard to tell until you open it, Yes the drive will most likely work in the your laptop(if both are SATA or IDE. most likely SATA)? Will it be faster? Can not say for sure.

If you can get the model number from the device manager it may help identify the drive type. Also the model number of your internal drive.

Many times the drives use in externals are slower since they get limited my the USB 2.0 interface anyway.

Normally it will show in the device manager. You can access the device manager under Windows 7 by using start search and just type device manager.

Once loaded you can select disk drives and it will be listed there.

As mentioned above, you may not gain noticeable speed. I know going from my old 60GB to 320GB had a speed boost, but that was thanks to PRM and a faster drive.

Solution