skyline315

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Hello everyone.

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FW550F with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 and am connecting it to a Samsung P2370HD HDTV/Monitor.

The picture did not fill the screen at first, but I was able to resolve this with the scaling feature in the CCC. However, the picture is still not as sharp as it should be. Some of the text is blurry, blu-rays do not look great (certainly not 1080 quality), and there's just not the clearness that I would expect.

It's usable, but far from what I was hoping for.

Are there any obvious solutions that I'm missing?

Thanks for any advice and/or tips that you can offer.

tortnotes

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Try putting the notebook into sleep mode, then attaching the HDMI cable with the monitor on, then turn your notebook on. This works for me on another newer Radeon-equipped notebook. The notebook auto-detects the attached display devices and adjusts resolution accordingly. It also automatically sends audio through the HDMI port, which is nice.
If that doesn't work, use CCC's Displays Manager to set the resolution for the external display manually, and disable the integrated panel if you so desire.

skyline315

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Thanks for the reply, but I don't believe either of these are the issue. The external display is set to the appropriate resolution and the notebook display is disabled.

I've tried sleep mode and turning both laptop and monitor off and restarting with no difference in the result. I almost wonder if the monitor drivers have been installed correctly, but I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be...

Sony's recommendation was to reinstall the ATI drivers, which was no help at all. I do see that there are updated drivers on ATIs site, but if I understand correctly, it's really only advisable to download drivers that have been approved by your laptop manufacturer...

tomgadgets

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Hi I have another issue with ATI and the lousy HDMI support for Vaio FW-

I am able to scale the resolution to 0% and fix to 1:1 pixel mapping, however whenever the Vaio goes to sleep, it would wake up and reset the scaling to 15%. It is a pain in the neck to have to change the slider everytime back to 0%. Anyone else encountering the same scaling reset to default issue?

Regarding your scaling issue, all you have to do is to set your TV to 1:1 mapping on HDMI (for Samsung there is a "Just Scan" setting for aspect ratio) and set the Scaling Options in catalyst control center to 0% and it will be a perfect image. Just trying to figure out how to make it stick :(

Thanks.

skyline315

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

Hmm, I'll give that shot.

I ended up going another route which was to simply connect my laptop using an hdmi to dvi cable. The image is perfect, and no scaling is necessary.