Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CPU Cooler Trouble

Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 10, 2010 5:11:38 PM

hi, i built my first computer the other day.
Case: ATCS 840
CPU: i7 extreme 975
MOBO: evga x58 le/
GPU: geforce 9800gt (getting a gtx 285 eventually)
PSU: Ultra x3 1000W
RAM: Super Talent 6gb Triple Channel DDR3 1600

Nothing is overclocked and all fans are running at 100%

OK, so for the first couple days i had the stock intel cpu cooler installed, and it gave me some pretty good temperature dispite all i've head about how bad the work. i was getting 25 degrees average idle, 37 average playing bad company 2 with max settings.

I had already bought a Cooler Master hyper n520 cooler since everywhere i read said to throw out the intel cooler and get a 3rd party cooler, and the hyper n520 got good reviews all around with a 10-15 degree decrease on average. i had my uncle help me install it because frankly i'm new to building and i didnt want to screw anything up. i got some ocz freeze thermal compound and he put it on the cpu after cleaning the intel compound off of it. he covered the cpu plate and we attached the n520.

when we booted up i noticed immediately that the temperature guage on the motherboard was reading it higher than the intel cooler. now i get 34 degrees idle and 41 or 42 degrees playing bad company 2. my computer has reset itself twice while playing so far.

So did i get a defective/ bad cooler? bad compound? too much compound on the cpu?

i would put the intel one back on but i can get all except one nut off of the n520 so it wont detach from the motherboard (it just spins the screw around when you turn it.) just my luck right?

Currently my temperatures are, just running firefox, AIM and E-LEET:

CPU: 34
VREG: 47
System: 26
Core1: 51
Core2: 47
Core3: 49
Core4:47

During the game the Core1-4 temps are all 50+ but never go past 59...ugh.

More about : cpu cooler trouble

a b à CPUs
March 10, 2010 5:14:36 PM

the n520 is a lower range cooler which is not too good
March 10, 2010 5:19:45 PM

My temps are lower under a gaming load with a mild OC (3.2 GHZ on 920).

I haven't heard anything about the n520, which is usually a bad sign.

How long does it take for your compound to cure? (usually you'll see a slight drop in temps and in my experience a lower bottom line)
How much thermalpaste was used?
Did he completely clean off all of the resin?

(I use coffee filters and 90% Isopropyl alchohal, artic silver also makes a compound)


With Intel and AMD's latest generations, I've been impressed in the quality of the stock heatsinks, considering what they were five years ago. If you are using a modern proc and you aren't going to overclock, I can honestly say there is no reason to go with a different heatsink and they use a moderately high quality thermal compound on top of that.
Related resources
March 10, 2010 5:20:32 PM

obsidian86 said:
the n520 is a lower range cooler which is not too good


can you recommend something that would work better with what i have? would the V8 be better or the Corsair Hydro? i looked at a ton of coolers before i bought the n520 but i went with the cheapest on with the best reviews trying to save some money on an already expensive rig. guess i learned my lesson.

cscott_it said:
My temps are lower under a gaming load with a mild OC (3.2 GHZ on 920).

I haven't heard anything about the n520, which is usually a bad sign.

How long does it take for your compound to cure? (usually you'll see a slight drop in temps and in my experience a lower bottom line)
How much thermalpaste was used?
Did he completely clean off all of the resin?

(I use coffee filters and 90% Isopropyl alchohal, artic silver also makes a compound)


With Intel and AMD's latest generations, I've been impressed in the quality of the stock heatsinks, considering what they were five years ago. If you are using a modern proc and you aren't going to overclock, I can honestly say there is no reason to go with a different heatsink and they use a moderately high quality thermal compound on top of that.


we made sure all the resin was cleaned off. he put on enough to cover the cpu and scraped it with a credit card to even it out, i trust his judgment because he builds computers for people as a hobby, but honestly if it were me i would have used less. i debated getting arctic silver 5, but a comparison i read at overclock.net said ocz freeze was slighting better. if i can find a way to get that last nut off i will put the intel cooler back on. the paste has no curing time, so i guess it works immediately.
March 10, 2010 5:28:28 PM

For noise I'd pick the Vigor Monsoon III LT. It has very good cooling and produces little noise even under a full load (my 5870 is louder). I use one in my own rig so I can atest to the quality.

The Scythe Mugen is good bang for your buck and I've heard good things.
The V8 has gotten good reviews.

I wouldn't know about water though. So you'd need someone else that would be knowledgable about the Corsair Hydro.
a b à CPUs
March 10, 2010 5:28:33 PM

best bang for buck

cooler master hyper 212+

the 3 best air coolers

Noctua NH-D14
thermalright venomous X
prolimatech megashadow(does not come with fan,need to buy separate fan)

the corsair hydro is crap the newer coolit closed systems are better

or go full liquid cooling the guys in the overclock section will gladly help
March 10, 2010 5:30:28 PM

Can't believe I didn't mention the Noctua... >.<

My roomate has one and it runs cooler than my Monsoon.
a b à CPUs
March 10, 2010 5:34:20 PM

the prolimatech is huge the noctua is even bigger the thermalright is inbetween them

on a side note skip the gtx 285 nvidia will release their new cards 26 march
March 10, 2010 5:38:44 PM

obsidian86 said:
the prolimatech is huge the noctua is even bigger the thermalright is inbetween them

on a side note skip the gtx 285 nvidia will release their new cards 26 march


i heard about that, i also heard the GTX480 was going to be 700 bucks...which i definitely cant afford now.
a b à CPUs
March 10, 2010 5:54:58 PM

or get an ati 5850/5870/5970 card
!