New Video Card Problems

monath

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Hello, I recently purchased a new video card as well as a new power supply for my computer. I installed them both and they work great with one exception. Whenever I try to play any game, such as World of Warcraft or DDO, after several minutes of gameplay one of two things happens. Either 1) the screen will go black and I can still hear audio, or 2) the screen will turn into numerous vertical gray lines while still producing audio. The computer worked perfectly before I added the video card and psu.

I have updated all of my drivers and I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the video card in safe mode.

Here is my equipment:

Video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102859

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

My computer is an HP Pavilion a6700y with no modifications except for the previously listed items.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

Well you got a decent power supply so I imagine that is not it.....

1. Make sure that everything is plugged in and that the card is seated tight into the slot.

2. Check your temps on your video card, what are they?

Also what version of windows are you running?

monath

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I checked all of the cables, they are all connected and the card is fit well into its slot.

I am running Windows Vista x64

I also checked the temperature of the card and it is running at 48*C

Driver Sweeper did not help.

monath

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I don't know if it is relevant or not but my power button blinks blue for a few seconds before booting up ever since I installed the new psu/vcard.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

Did you read some of the reviews. It looks like some people have had issues with 64bit drivers. Did you try the drivers from the Sapphire site?

Not sure why your power button is blinking....mine does not have a light source......could it double as a power button and hard drive activity indicator.

Have you tried Sapphire's forums....you might find some info there as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16814102859

monath

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I downloaded my drivers from the sapphire website, yes. I also looked into the beeping at startup, it beeps 7 times and apparently that means that there is a "virtual mode exception error". Could that be causing my problems?

I also have no idea how to disable my onboard graphics as there is no option to do so in the BIOS.

I don't know if my motherboard has a jumper for it or not either.
My motherboard is: MCP61PM-HM

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

I it will default to the pci-express and you should not have to worry about it.

I set my bios on my system to the PCI-E but it defaulted to it anyway at start up so I don't think it really matters.