Sign in with
Your question

NAS Setup for Media Streamer

Last response: in Storage
December 20, 2011 12:51:54 PM

Hello,

I am new to the NAS thing, so I need a little bit of help figuring out what I should do here.

I have a Mede8er MED500X2 Media Streamer. Now, it can hold a internal HD up to 3TB which is fine, but as I expand my digital media library I know I'm going to need more space. I was thinking of just setting up an NAS box with more space up front for the MED500X2 to stream from via ethernet.

My question is, does the NAS have to be connected to my modem/router for it to connect to another device via ethernet, or can the NAS/Steamer act as their own mini-network with just an ethernet cable between the two?

It's hard for me to run an ethernet cable from my home network upstairs to my living room downstairs, so I'm trying to avoid having to connect to it if possible.

Any insight would be great!
a b G Storage
December 20, 2011 7:25:01 PM

SinisterMessiah said:
Hello,

I am new to the NAS thing, so I need a little bit of help figuring out what I should do here.

I have a Mede8er MED500X2 Media Streamer. Now, it can hold a internal HD up to 3TB which is fine, but as I expand my digital media library I know I'm going to need more space. I was thinking of just setting up an NAS box with more space up front for the MED500X2 to stream from via ethernet.

My question is, does the NAS have to be connected to my modem/router for it to connect to another device via ethernet, or can the NAS/Steamer act as their own mini-network with just an ethernet cable between the two?

It's hard for me to run an ethernet cable from my home network upstairs to my living room downstairs, so I'm trying to avoid having to connect to it if possible.

Any insight would be great!

Yes, NAS+Media player can be on its own network, but the question is How do you move the media content to it :-)
Remember NAS data can only read/write via it NIC, so I would recommend it connects to your existing network

One thing about streaming, do not even try to stream it via Wifi_N... i had tried so many modules and adapters.... It never works with HD video

You can stream the content with Power Over Ethernet - PoE 200mbps AV streamer
which uses AC power lines as CAT5 cable
m
l
December 21, 2011 2:14:23 PM

FireWire2 said:
Yes, NAS+Media player can be on its own network, but the question is How do you move the media content to it :-)
Remember NAS data can only read/write via it NIC, so I would recommend it connects to your existing network

One thing about streaming, do not even try to stream it via Wifi_N... i had tried so many modules and adapters.... It never works with HD video

You can stream the content with Power Over Ethernet - PoE 200mbps AV streamer
which uses AC power lines as CAT5 cable

Thank you for the info!

I wouldn't have a problem running the CAT5 down my stairs every now and then to dump content to the NAS, I just don't want to have it there constantly.

I'm a little confused on the PoE stuff though...So downstairs I would have the NAS, Media Streamer, and my TV stuff.

Under your scenario, I would have the NAS plugged into the wall via the PoE device, and then the NAS connected to my Media Streamer via ethernet?

And then upstairs I'd have a connection from my router connected to my power through a PoE device?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 21, 2011 4:21:33 PM

the PoE is a adapter, which injects network data into the existing AC power line, to utilizes ac power line wire as network cable.

With these PoE, you don't have to install new CAT5 cable in order to connect to the network. It works, but the speed is limited to 200Mb/s max and about 150m distant of wire

Let say your NAS is pluged to your route/switches and one of the port of your router/switch connect to PoE, which plugs to AC line. Now at ANY AC plug you can plug another PoE which will provide you an access to your network.

m
l
December 21, 2011 4:38:52 PM

Gotcha, so if I have the NAS connected to my media streamer via an ethernet cable, it won't really matter that the NAS is connected to my network via PoE w/ the 200Mb/s limit right? That would only matter if I was moving stuff from my regular network to the NAS?
m
l
a b G Storage
December 21, 2011 5:32:53 PM

That is correct!
m
l
December 21, 2011 5:40:52 PM

Well I think you eased my worries! As long as the streaming wasn't dependent on the PoE speed of 200Mb/s I think this solution would work for me! Now I just need to find a NAS.

Thank you!
m
l
a b G Storage
December 21, 2011 7:51:33 PM

This is the Media Server I used

I like it becasue:
It can expand up to 20 Drives
Fast and use hardware RAID
Allow end users to modify parameters to improve the performance
m
l
December 22, 2011 12:35:28 PM

That's pretty intense lol

I don't think I'll need something quite that advanced :p 

Probably looking for something that will hold 2 or 3 drives.
m
l
February 23, 2012 6:35:18 AM

It's funny that they call this thing a "Power line over Ethernet (PoE)" product, when that isn't what it is at all. It's an "Ethernet over Power line" product. It delivers Ethernet over your power lines, not power over your Ethernet lines.

PoE is widely used in the networking industry to power things like network cameras and wireless access points, since those devices are typically not near power outlets.

I'd be inclined to buy this type of product from someone who actually understands technology - there's lots of other vendors for powerline networking products.
m
l
!