Want to build a system to run Crysis@VeryHigh, can't find benchmarks.

wirelessfender

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
It's been over a year since I tried running crysis. I used to have 2 Nvidia 8800 GTS 512 in SLI and could barely run 1680x1050 at High. I want to build a system to run a 1920x1080 Very Hight settings at a smooth frame rate but I can't find decent benchmarks anywhere. Not sure why but Toms doesn't have any crysis benchmark charts for any 2009 GPU's... Anyone have benchmarks of their own, or a good source I can use to figure out a decent GPU solution to do this? My budget is $300-400.

Thanks!
-Anthony

With an i7 920 @ 3.6ghz and a 5870 at 900mhz I still cannot run Very High settings and have good enough FPS to not get sick.

However, I can run High settings with 4x AA and have a great experience. This means you'd either want a 5970 or 5850/5870 in Xfire. However, I do run at 1920x1200.

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Your going to spend thousands of dollars to build a computer to play what.....a crappy game like Crysis.

Why not just get a real game, and use the hardware you already have?

To edeawillrule, your so full of crap dude. A 4850 wont run any demanding games at 1680x1050 with 2xAA on high settings LET ALONE Crysis at 1920x1080. LOOOOL

I know, I have one and it wont run STALKER at 1680x1050 even on medium with NO AA unless I turn the dynamic lighting waaaay down. Otherwise you'll get dizzy.

*facepalm* I said a 5850 you idiot! See the 5? FIFTY not FOURTY! Big difference between 4850 and 5850.

P.S. I think Crysis is a very good game not just a good looking one ^.^

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
You said 4850, not 5850, you edited it.

You also edited your system specs located at the bottom of your post from 4850 to 5850. I know this because I looked at your system specs before I replied to your post.

So really, your the idiot because you didn't even know what video card you have. LOL

Not knowing what video card you have doesn't surprise me either, especially considering your running your memory in single channel mode instead of dual channel mode, which is killing your performance. LOL

You just lost all credibility here because your a liar, a very immature liar I may add.

Does it say edited anywhere on that post? XD
I didn't change my sig I got this card a month ago and have had the same signature since then XD

My memory is in dual channel mode by the way, two 2Gb sticks and two 1Gb sticks. Runs perfectly. :kaola:

1. Crysis is an awesome game. Don't hate on it. It's single player is better than COD4 single player IMO.
2. It is still the #1 game for benchmarking, so the game is a trial-by-fire for any gaming PC.
3. Ultra-High graphics mod, and more advanced AI mod
4. Total Conversion mods (ie. the New Mechwarrior mod coming out for it)

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
My bad, but you should apologize for editing your system specs.

It said 4850 10 minutes ago.

But I'm not really surprised you had the wrong video card listed in your system specs because your running your memory in single channel mode, which is killing your performance.

Noob.

LOL

Oh no it did not say that.
My memory isn't in single channel mode can you read? [:bohleyk:7]

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

There's a Mechwarrior mod coming out for it?! That sounds awesome! :D

Yeah you did edit it. Why lie?

How do you figure your memory is NOT in single channel mode? Are you using 3gb sticks cause I've never heard of those, LOL.

Oh and DDR2 is not SDRAM, so you better start editing again. LOL

he probably has 2x1GB + 2x2GB giving 6GB in dual channel (3GB/channel)

@OP, for very high 1080P settings think about the ATI 5850 at the very least (this may even be choppy sometimes), you might need to spend the extra $20 or so for the 5870

though personally i don't this is worth it for a single game, though any other game would be playable at the highest settings

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah you did edit it. Why lie?

How do you figure your memory is NOT in single channel mode? Are you using 3gb sticks cause I've never heard of those, LOL.

Oh and DDR2 is not SDRAM, so you better start editing again. LOL

I'm not going to argue with you just because you can't read.

I already told you I'm running 2 2gb sticks and 2 1gb sticks :heink:

Learn it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

You're exactly right about the RAM.

Anyways yeah a 5870 would be best for Crysis at 1080P my 5850 does have some slowdowns occasionally.

speedemon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Mismatched ram, I see.

I was wondering, I've never heard of a HD4850 1GB black edition, glad you at least changed it.

zipzoonoob;p I think you'd be better off around kids that dont understand allot about computer hardware, that way you could talk all the nonsense you want... not here though

You have not helped the thread at all and make urself look less intelligent with every post :pfff:
Please spare us anymore of your stupidity and just move on...

NOOB :na:

Quad9550@3.0/8gigddr2-800/p45mobo/7200rpmdrive/soundcard/msi-gtx260-1792...runs at 1680x1050 enthusiast with no hiccups anywhere with 8aa. 16Q can be enabled but have problems. Drop down to an 896 card and it gets hiccupy without AA at same resolution. Same machine with 1 5850.... no problems anywhere..... have not tried the snowy part yet so I cant say what's going to happen there. Can't remember the AA settings but think I left them the same.

If I were to build now I would go for the i7 and wait til nvidia comes out with their new card. And i would wait until I could get a card with more than 1gig of memory. That's my take on Crysis. Crysis2 will be out this year. I think it will be as demanding if not more than it's earlier brother.

Forgot:... a GTX275/1792 would be a good choice and you can still get them.... $3-$325

Everyone has their own definition of what is playable frame rates. However, most people would consider a FPS game to be playable with 40+ FPS. If you are dipping into the 30's occationally, it's not so bad, but if you are dipping into the 20 FPS range, most people will get nautious.

Btw, what do you consider enthusiast settings? I personally run with an i7 at 3.5ghz with a 5870 and I play at all High settings (not Very high) with x4 AA on @ 1920x1200. That plays smooth with 40-65 fps at almost all times. While I can put it at Very high and see the eye candy, I will feel sick.

Here is some benches of Crysis: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd5870-cpu-scaling_4.html#sect1

actually, zipzoomfly knows what he is talking about most of the time, probably just got carried away on this one

@branflakes71 he doesn't have a $600 budget, he has $300-$400, so even the 5870 is a little above the budget (depending on brand)

wirelessfender

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
Lol, things got a little bit off topic here.. But thank you to those who provided the useful benchmarks. I no longer have my old rig, I sold it a year ago, but I am looking at building myself one again and just want to make sure it can handle crysis because not only is it still the best looking game out there (I don't care what you think about the gameplay..) but if I can run it at maximum settings I will be sure to get a lot of life out of the machine.

As for the benchmarks found here: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd5870-cpu-scaling_4.html#sect1

One 5870 and an overclocked i7-920 seems to do the trick with an average FPS of 52 and a minimum of 34 :)

I'll probably be going with that combo, I figure I'll be able to drop another on in crossfire maybe a year down the road. what do you guys think?

That is essentially my plan. I to have the i7 920 and a 5870 now, and made sure to have a motherboard with 2 PCIe x16 slots and a 3rd for my dedicated PhysX card (old 8800gt). So far I'm happy.

At 1920x1200, Crysis is the only game I don't max the settings on. Although the diference between High and Very High in that game is very small in visual quality.

As for those frames listed on the article, those were taken at a resolution of 1280x1024. You'll get slightly less than those with your monitor.

wirelessfender

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
Ah, your right.. I was reading the wrong column.. So your saying you can have 2 ATI cards set up in crossfire and use a 3rd nvidia card for physX? I didn't know motherboards did that. I have been out of the loop for over a year now though.. heh.

You can, but you do have to use a little older nVidia drivers and use a little hack program to allow it since nVidia decided that they didn't want people using their cards as dedicated physX cards if your main card isn't also nVidia.

Frankly I think they are insane, especially now, since ATI has the cards everyone wants. They'd have a 2nd source of revenue if they kept allowing it normally.

ATM, I'm having these voices telling me to go buy the 2nd 5870 now! I must stop this, as I barely have a use for it.

wirelessfender

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007

Mechwarrior mod for crysis?! I'm a huge mechwarrior fan, A good mod or remake of the series would make building a $2500 machine totally worth it to me!

TRENDING THREADS