Hard Drive Crashed Lost Everything!

Last response: in Video Games
April 19, 2005 7:40:50 PM

Yes, it is true...
While I was playing a really great game...
All my Sims, nieghborhoods, games, etc..... Gone...

Sigh......

Got new hard drive, working on re-installation....
Just wanted to express my frustration....

(I do NOT have any reason to believe the game had anything to do with this,
just coinidence that I was playing at the time that it crashed. The computer
was three years old, so... my fault for not backing up on external hard
drive. I have learned my lesson.)
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 2:28:20 AM

Only 3 yrs old? I know, in today's technological age that seems old, but to
me that is not that old. My 98se computer is 5 yrs old and I would still be
using it had not someone given me a free computer, lol. This one is
probably at least 2 yrs old. Not sure about you, but who can afford a new
computer every 3 years.
Was it just a hard drive that went?

"Yea, Me!" <news@jennifererix.com> wrote in message
> Yes, it is true...
> While I was playing a really great game...
> All my Sims, nieghborhoods, games, etc..... Gone...
>
> Sigh......
>
> Got new hard drive, working on re-installation....
> Just wanted to express my frustration....
>
> (I do NOT have any reason to believe the game had anything to do with
this,
> just coinidence that I was playing at the time that it crashed. The
computer
> was three years old, so... my fault for not backing up on external hard
> drive. I have learned my lesson.)

April 20, 2005 6:35:14 AM

"Yea, Me!" <news@jennifererix.com> wrote in message
> Yes, it is true...
> While I was playing a really great game...
> All my Sims, nieghborhoods, games, etc..... Gone...
>
> Sigh......
>
> Got new hard drive, working on re-installation....
> Just wanted to express my frustration....
>
> (I do NOT have any reason to believe the game had anything to do with
> this,
> just coinidence that I was playing at the time that it crashed. The
> computer
> was three years old, so... my fault for not backing up on external hard
> drive. I have learned my lesson.)

That sad. I know I should back my my sims save game to CD burner...I don't
care if any other games but Sims no way...
April 30, 2005 7:09:51 PM

I had horrid luck when I used external HDs, they are not very stable nor do
they last long. I finally broke down and got a decent sized internal HD and
:::Knock on Wood::::::: Things are much smoother

AM~

--
AnaMaree Ordway
Arbonne Consultant #15091732

"Yea, Me!" <news@jennifererix.com> wrote in message
> Yes, it is true...
> While I was playing a really great game...
> All my Sims, nieghborhoods, games, etc..... Gone...
>
> Sigh......
>
> Got new hard drive, working on re-installation....
> Just wanted to express my frustration....
>
> (I do NOT have any reason to believe the game had anything to do with
> this,
> just coinidence that I was playing at the time that it crashed. The
> computer
> was three years old, so... my fault for not backing up on external hard
> drive. I have learned my lesson.)

May 1, 2005 2:24:10 PM

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 15:09:51 -0700, "AnaMaree" <anamaree@charter.net>
wrote:

>I had horrid luck when I used external HDs, they are not very stable nor do
>they last long. I finally broke down and got a decent sized internal HD and
>:::Knock on Wood::::::: Things are much smoother

Please explain: why are they not stable? I've had them for yeras
without any problems.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 7:35:14 PM

I went through 3 of them, not a one of them lasted over a year. Sometimes
they would not even be recognized in booting up. Maybe I got 3 lemons in a
row? I just know I will not go down that path again, 3rd time was not a
charm for me!

Glad your luck has been better, I know what a pain it is to lose EVERYTHING!

AM~

"Strider" <aaaa@aaa.aa> wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 15:09:51 -0700, "AnaMaree" <anamaree@charter.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I had horrid luck when I used external HDs, they are not very stable nor
>>do
>>they last long. I finally broke down and got a decent sized internal HD
>>and
>>:::Knock on Wood::::::: Things are much smoother
>
> Please explain: why are they not stable? I've had them for yeras
> without any problems.

May 2, 2005 2:06:53 PM

On Sun, 1 May 2005 15:35:14 -0700, "AnaMaree" <anamaree@charter.net>
wrote:

>I went through 3 of them, not a one of them lasted over a year. Sometimes

That's what I don't understand, a HD is a HD whether external or
internal. Unless one use them to play football with they should last
just as long as internal ones.

>they would not even be recognized in booting up. Maybe I got 3 lemons in a

No I doubt that, but if we are talking USB and Windows that could be a
driver problem or a BIOS setting. I've heard about problems with USB
on MSI K8T mainboards but I haven't tested it as I no longer touch
anything but Epox boards:-)

>Glad your luck has been better, I know what a pain it is to lose EVERYTHING!

So do I, that's why I have backups on everything from CD's to external
HD's. I haven't tried floppies yet, imagine how much fun it would be
to take backup of 600GB on floppies:-)
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 11:22:06 PM

I remember my first computer, about a 140 MB drive?? Total back up on
floppy, can't remember how many but the box was HUGE! Then onto zip disks,
now finally DVD/CD burners YEAH!

600? dang, thought my 240 was good sized, what do you do with 600? Of
course I said that about my first GB LOL

> On Sun, 1 May 2005 15:35:14 -0700, "AnaMaree" <anamaree@charter.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I went through 3 of them, not a one of them lasted over a year. Sometimes
>
> That's what I don't understand, a HD is a HD whether external or
> internal. Unless one use them to play football with they should last
> just as long as internal ones.
>
>>they would not even be recognized in booting up. Maybe I got 3 lemons in
>
> No I doubt that, but if we are talking USB and Windows that could be a
> driver problem or a BIOS setting. I've heard about problems with USB
> on MSI K8T mainboards but I haven't tested it as I no longer touch
> anything but Epox boards:-)
>
>>Glad your luck has been better, I know what a pain it is to lose
>>EVERYTHING!
>
> So do I, that's why I have backups on everything from CD's to external
> HD's. I haven't tried floppies yet, imagine how much fun it would be
> to take backup of 600GB on floppies:-)

May 8, 2005 1:56:04 PM

On Sat, 7 May 2005 19:22:06 -0700, "AnaMaree" <anamaree@charter.net>
wrote:

>I remember my first computer, about a 140 MB drive?? Total back up on

My first one was 120MB, people thought I was crazy as I couldn't
possibly need such an oversized HD:-)

>floppy, can't remember how many but the box was HUGE! Then onto zip disks,
>now finally DVD/CD burners YEAH!
>
>600? dang, thought my 240 was good sized, what do you do with 600? Of
>course I said that about my first GB LOL

I store data on them:-) I have three internal disks of 200GB each, and
one of 40GB which I use only for the operating system. As I never
store program on drive C, if Windows decides to crash all I have to do
to get it working again is to restore a Ghost image, that way I never
have to worry about losing data. I use external HD's for backups.
!