What do you think it's worth.

kingjim9

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Hi, i'm going to be building myself a new computer shortly and a friend actually suggessted that i build a computer or two and sell them on ebay to get some extra money for the system. my question is what do you think i could sell the following system for? after overclocking, etc. Do you think i would have any problems selling it? have you ever done anything like this before? i'd love to hear your advice, opinions, etc.

Motherboard: ASUS P5QL-VM DO/CSM LGA 775 Intel B43 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Socket: LGA 775
FSB: 1333/1066/800 MHz
North Bridge: Intel B43
South Bridge: Intel ICH10D

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 Yorkfield 2.66GHz 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

RAM: Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2K2/4G - Retail

Video Card: XFX HD-435X-ZAH2 Radeon HD 4350 1GB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Low Profile Ready Video Card - Retail

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green WD6400AACS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Optical Drive: ASUS 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - Retail

CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER RR-LEE-L911-GP 92mm Sleeve X Dream 4 CPU Cooler - Retail

Extra Case Fan: APEVIA CF4SL-UGN 80mm 4 x Green Lights LED Case Fan - Retail

Power Supply: Mushkin Enhanced 550250 580W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Case: RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEB 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case - Retail

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

All of those parts + shipping + case lighting total up to: $823.88
The fees for ebay (includes listing fee and final value fee, and shipping insurance, & proof of delivery) are $55.70

So I would need to sell the system for at least $879.58 just to break even. How much do you think i could charge to get some profit off of it? (i know that could depend on the final clock speed, and benchmark results) I'm just looking for a rough estimate.

Like i said any opinions and thoughts are much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jim

vznoobie12

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
I actually work part time in a small custom PC shop when I'm not at my usual job at fry's or going to school. The owner of the shop tried exploring ebay with pre-built PCs for a good year, before finding it unprofitable due to the nature of the consumers actually on ebay. First, looking at your specs tells me you won't appeal to gamers. The old 775 socket doesn't cut it with the i5/7 craze. Also, your video card is old tech. and any gamer who has done 10 minutes of research before going on ebay will know that.

I apologize and not to be harsh, but I personally think you will have a hard time selling it, so IMO take what you can. $1000 $950, whatever you can get. The business consumer will opt. for a cheap $400-500 pre-built HP or Dell, etc. Most college students purchase a laptop. Gamers will built their own rig or buy from a reputable online builder like ibuypower or the newly established ballistic gaming. Not to mention everyone else getting a Mac. In addition, the value-going stragglers on eBay will be turned off by your rig's price tag.

If you don't have the rig already, don't do it. That is my advice from personal experience. Trying to go solo without a designated customer is hard. If you would like to use your skills to make money, see about finding a customer before the built. That way, your client has more flexibility in picking components and you can work out a commission without taking a big gamble.

Good luck.