dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
I've been laying my eye on this particular model.

It appears to be the best local deal.

A-DATA
AS510S3-120GM-C

I have did some basic research, but are there something I should be aware of regarding this model?

Thanks.

MB: Asus P8p67 deluxe, win7 64

Since the controller on the SSD is SandForce, make sure the SSD's firmware is updated to the latest version 3.3.2.
It also wouldn't hurt to make sure your motherboard BIOS is updated to the latest version 2103.

Also for maximum performance your drive should be connected in AHCI mode to one of the Intel 6Gb/s ports (SATA6G_1 or SATA6G_2).

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Is it necessary to update bios? my bios is still 1502 and I dont usually update it unless it has critical problem

Is it possible to update firmware after installation?

No, it's not necessary to update your SSD or your motherboard.

Just install Windows on the drive and benchmark 1 time with ATTO software to verify that you're getting near maximum advertised read/write speeds.

If everything is ok then there's nothing more you really need to do.

Go to A-Data's website for information on how to update firmware after installation if you wish to do so.

JdotH

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011

(Passive Thread Jack....as you seem to know about the Asus P8P67 mobos)
After he installs SSD on Intel 6gb ports....if he wanted to add a Hard Drive mirror which ports/controller does he use? Put them on the marvel? Or switch his bios setting in the "sata configuration" tab to "RAID" not "AHCI"?

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

I heard about few trouble from marvel ports so in any case I'll stick to Intel's and reserve marvel for 6gb/s data operations.

Update the firmware first if it is not the latest, updating the firmware will wipe the drive, so do this before installing anything. Stick with the Intel 6Gb/s ports, though Marvel has gotten a lot better over time and probably works just fine.

Any reason not to go with the Corsair for $10 more? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233206
It's a lot more popular (meaning larger support community), and performs slightly better.

Dont bother with a HDD mirror, just be sure to have a regular backup made of your computer in case something goes terribly wrong.

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

did you mean raid 1? assuming you own such mobo read the manual. enabling instruction are there.

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

Yeah you're right, I overlooked it lol is Corsair more reliable?

btw why does smaller model in same series listed as more expensive ??

like Corsair
CSSD-F60GB3-BK

and why does this red-painted drive with same capacity 1.5 x more pensive ?

Corsair
CSSD-F120GBGT-BK

Doesn’t matter if you use the Intel 3Gb/s ports or the Marvell 6Gb/s ports for the HDD RAID.

If you use the Intel ports, then yes you would have to change the SATA configuration to RAID. Any drives connected to the Intel ports that are not part of an array automatically default to AHCI mode, so there would be no problems with the SSD already connected to the Intel 6Gb/s port.

The Marvell ports have a data bandwidth of PCIe x1 at 5Gb/s (500MB/s).
There would be no performance loss connecting 2 HDDs in RAID.
You would only see performance loss when connecting any SATA III SSD to the ports.

TRENDING THREADS