New build, first time using an SSD...need help.

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Hey Tech Authorities,

What drive do you need to install the OS on, the SSD only, the HDD only, or both?

What other programs/types of programs frequently get put on the SSD? Does your browser(s) get put on the SSD? Are there any good SSD tutorials that would answer these types of questions?

How does the SSD automatically decide which programs get put on it and which get put on the HDD? Do you need to set it up somehow, or is it already configured?

Any other advice for me?

Thanks,
-TG

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
You want to install your OS on the SSD only. You can fill up the rest of the space (up to 80-90% capacity) with any other software that you want to load quickly. It only really affects load times. I use it for certain games where I want the levels to load quickly. There might be other applications that benefit from faster read/write times, but someone else will have to chime in on that.

Set up the HDD as a separate drive and put all your applications and files on there that won't fit on your SSD.

If you are building your computer, I strongly recommend that you ONLY install the SSD first and install the OS on it. After the OS is installed and you can boot up the computer, then shut it down and install the HDD.

After that, whenever you install a program you will have the choice to designate which drive it's installed on. You pick this during the installation process. The default selection will probably be the SSD because it's the boot drive. Just be careful not to max out the SSD.

sbhatter

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

ringzero has it. To reiterate: If you're building your system, install the OS on your SSD then boot, finish install then after install is complete turn off and plug in your HDD.

To answer your question, YOU decide what goes on the SSD and what goes on the HDD. When you install programs or load files you choose the install drive...

Only other advice would be to make sure that BEFORE you install your OS, make sure your SATA port(s) are set to AHCI (access this through your BIOS) , not IDE or RAID (you're prob not using RAID..) AHCI will give you better SSD performance over IDE. If you've already run the install with your SATA ports set to IDE, you can just do a quick registry change to remedy this. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

/Cheers

steadywaters

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
I just built a rig with an SSD/HDD combo and I found that I had to create new folders in the HDD for things such as downloads through a web browser. Be sure to change the destination of the "My" stuff (Docs, Photos, Videos) to folders in the HDD.

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Any idea where I could find a good guide about what kind of stuff people usually put on the SSD? Like would I put my browsers (Chrome and Firefox) on it? What about photoshop?

Also, where do you put your downloaded drivers? Do they automatically go where they need to go when you open/execute them?