Sign in with
Your question

Fraps?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 31, 2009 6:45:31 AM

How accurate is the FPS counter in Fraps? According to it I am getting 91 FPS in MW2 with a slightly overclocked 4670? That sounds WAY too high for that card. So can I count on that reading or is there another program that is more accurate?

Thanks

More about : fraps

a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2009 7:58:52 AM

FRAPS is accurate as long as you're not using triple buffering (and most, if not all, DirectX games don't support Triple Buffering).

This is an overly simplistic explanation and I'm sure TheGreatGrapeApe could expand on it with far more accuracy, but FRAPS basically works by counting buffer swaps. The video card has two buffers for storing frames. The front buffer contains the frame ready to be sent to the monitor while the back buffer is where the next frame is drawn. Once the frame in the back buffer has been finished the two buffers swap; the front becomes the back and the back becomes the front. FRAPS calculates framerate based on how often the front and back buffers switch.

Framerate can be high in some areas and low in others. What settings are you running at?
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
December 31, 2009 8:01:11 AM

What resolution are you playing at and what are your other system specs ?
m
l
Related resources
December 31, 2009 8:06:54 AM

Im Playing at 1680x1050 on high settings.

my system:
AMD 240 OCd @ 3.43
4gb DDR3
MSI 785G-E51
Vista 64 bit
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 31, 2009 10:30:24 AM

Is that 91 fps average or just that it is occasionally getting up to 91?
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
December 31, 2009 11:41:12 AM

^yeah if you have AA off or Textures to auto you may see 91 at times. MW2 is NOT a very graphicaly intense game. Not saying it doesn't look good, but it just doesn't put a HUGE load on a GPU which is really nice. IT uses the same engine as the older COD4.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2010 6:47:06 AM

i would agree fraps is more then likely giving you an accurate reading, at a loser resolution, and if not all your settings are maxed out then i feel 91 could be feasible, as many said before MW2 is simply not as demanding as a number of other games
m
l
!