Samsung 830 OS drive + Raptor Mirror Setup Help needed

JdotH

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
I cant figure how to properly configure my Asus P8P67 Evo HDD mirror raid & SSD.
I have:
256gb SSD (Operating System)
2X 600gb Raptors (for storage/mirror)

Intel® P67(B3) chipset :
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray
4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Marvell® PCIe 9120 controller : *2
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue

My issue is that in the Bios I can add all three on the intel chipset (fastest) and have to choose between "RAID" and "AHCI". I know SSDs need to be on AHCI but if I choose this then my raid disolves.

If I pick "RAID" I dont know that the SSD gets the beneifts of being in "AHCI".
So, is "RAID" in the sata config the right choice or should I put my mirror on the marvel controllers & the 256GB SSD OS on the Intel?
I wanted to keep everything a simple/fast as possible and thats why I have been using all 3 drives on the SATA 3 Intel ports.....but now my SSD is acting up and I think it could be that its not set to the aforementioned "AHCI" mode in bios as I wanted to have my mirror too.

How should I set this up?

JdotH

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
generic pic (not my drives):
UEFI-11%20SATA%20Configuration.png

Again, those are not my drives. Just a pic for reference.

So if I put it on AHCI mode (for SSD) I think I have to move the mirrored Raptors to the Marvel controller (2 sata III ports) but thats slower sata III speeds and more importantly makes boot up time longer. AND.....why would the Intel chip apply this setting to all it ports (sata II & sata III)? Seems odd.

So if I can have all 3 on the INTEL chipset (sample Intel sata config pictured above) have it set to RAID the raptors on its sata II and the SSD on its sata III that would be optimal...BUT I can only pick one setting for all these ports.

Marvel controller is seperate screen and if enabled slows boot times:
UEFI-13%20Onboard%20Device%20Config.png