Wireless router-->recommendations

lymponus

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2001
Hi guys, apologize if this has been asked already, but I'm in a rush and haven't had a chance to search the boards yet.

Some friends want to set up a wireless network at their home. They have wireless broadband internet service, and their son wants to access it from his room.

They purchased a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router. However, evidently the wireless broadband modem doesn't like the wireless router, although connecting my cable modem through it hasn't been any problems.

Doing a Google search, it appears the Linksys router has been a lot of trouble for people. I'm thinking about having them return this, and get a more reliable model.

So, any suggestions on a good wireless router? The son has a new Dell computer, and they ordered it with a wireless NIC card already installed. I don't know the model of the wireless broadband modem, I'm heading over there now.

Thanks.

Lymponus

"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom; justice; honor; duty; mercy; hope." - Sir Winston Churchill

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Well, I'm running a cable modem into a LinkSys WRT54G wireless broadband router and it works just fine. I've really had zero problems with it. Just make sure you run the output of the WiMax router into the port labeled 'Internet' on the WRT54G and things out to be fine.

As a note, I did have to go through a setup routine with the cable modem in order to get things going. I'm assuming that their main system is cabled to the WiMax modem.

Most of my systems are wired for 100Mbps Ethernet, already, so I couldn't see paying more money for totally wi-Fi access. It's not in the manual, as far as I can see. You have to power down everything, do ALL the wiring you're going to do, then power up the router and do a reset on it. Then power down the router again, power up the modem, power up the router, then power up the main system in the house, then power up everything else. Do all that (and allow things like having the modem stabilize after power-up) and it should work.

<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Dude, network such as home needs only one router, the wireless (I assume they have DSL and not the cable as you do;) modem is a router and can do the DHCP thing and assign the IPs to PCs, but the LinkSys has to be "rearanged" as a simpell access point with IP address one point higher than the DLS one, then the DHCP has to be disabled on it. The wireless feed has to be disabled on the modem and the network cable from modem has to be plugged into LAN port and not the WAN.

Have fun.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

ycs46241

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2001
take a look at these belkin products

<A HREF="http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=200713+401166&Ne=400000&CusaNe=200139&" target="_new">http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=200713+401166&Ne=400000&CusaNe=200139&</A>