Windows 64 bit

shorty11_rox

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
Im about to build my first computer and i want to purchase windows 7 64 bit with all the components but i want to make sure that it can run on my system.
So what do i need or what do i need to buy to be able to run a 64 bit version?

Solution
Basically it comes down to what CPU you use. If you go AMD, any CPU will do, as all current AMD offerings support 64 bit, however on the Intel side... some of their CPU's have it left out.

If you are leaning toward the Intel camp, check out the Intel Processor Finder website first. Find the CPU you want to buy and open the details for that chip. Make sure Intel® EM64T appears in the Supported Features section. If it's there, you're all set.
Basically it comes down to what CPU you use. If you go AMD, any CPU will do, as all current AMD offerings support 64 bit, however on the Intel side... some of their CPU's have it left out.

If you are leaning toward the Intel camp, check out the Intel Processor Finder website first. Find the CPU you want to buy and open the details for that chip. Make sure Intel® EM64T appears in the Supported Features section. If it's there, you're all set.

Solution

Wow, I did not know that, I'm very surprised unless its the atoms of course.