problems with my 5040 refurb

Last response: in Home Theatre
October 24, 2004 12:36:16 AM

I'm a replay newbie,

I had bought this from ebay,it was a factory refurb that also had it's drive
upgraded to 250 .I then called and subscribed it to a lifetime,{I mentioned
that the drive was upgraded to replay tv }they didn't say anything to me
about that ?? they excepted my subscription.
I had this going for about a week or so but now it's now stuck in a sort of
boot-loop.
I get the welcome to replay TV screen followed by a prompt to either hit the
channel or replay guide or menu buttons,as soon as I hit either
button.....it goes back to starting over ??????
I really have no idea what to do or where to send it ?,I'd pay to get it
fixed but somebody said that the warranty is out do to the drives upgrade ?
am I doing anything wrong here ??

Help !!

--
William S.

More about : problems 5040 refurb

Anonymous
October 24, 2004 2:23:01 AM

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:36:16 -0400, "anonymizer"
<billfish33@mail.anonymizer.com> wrote:

>I'm a replay newbie,
>
>I had bought this from ebay,it was a factory refurb that also had it's drive
>upgraded to 250 .I then called and subscribed it to a lifetime,{I mentioned
>that the drive was upgraded to replay tv }they didn't say anything to me
>about that ?? they excepted my subscription.
>I had this going for about a week or so but now it's now stuck in a sort of
>boot-loop.
>I get the welcome to replay TV screen followed by a prompt to either hit the
>channel or replay guide or menu buttons,as soon as I hit either
>button.....it goes back to starting over ??????

It seems that the Replay will reboot when it detects some problems,
which can include a problem with the disk.

>I really have no idea what to do or where to send it ?,I'd pay to get it
>fixed but somebody said that the warranty is out do to the drives upgrade ?
>am I doing anything wrong here ??
>
>Help !!

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 3:35:20 PM

anonymizer wrote:
> I'm a replay newbie,
>
> I had bought this from ebay,it was a factory refurb that also had it's drive
> upgraded to 250 .I then called and subscribed it to a lifetime,{I mentioned
> that the drive was upgraded to replay tv }they didn't say anything to me
> about that ?? they excepted my subscription.
> I had this going for about a week or so but now it's now stuck in a sort of
> boot-loop.

Just unplugging everything for a couple of minutes (Ethernet and power)
and THEN plugging it back in.
--
Bill Cochell (lose the _TUDE_ to reply directly)
October 24, 2004 3:40:35 PM

anonymizer wrote:
> I'm a replay newbie,
>
> I had bought this from ebay,it was a factory refurb that also had it's drive
> upgraded to 250 .I then called and subscribed it to a lifetime,{I mentioned
> that the drive was upgraded to replay tv }they didn't say anything to me
> about that ?? they excepted my subscription.
> I had this going for about a week or so but now it's now stuck in a sort of
> boot-loop.

Try unplugging EVERYTHING for a few minutes, ESPECIALLY the power
and Ethernet connections.
--
Bill Cochell (lose the _TUDE_ to reply directly)
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 6:28:24 PM

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 11:40:35 -0700, Bill Cochell
<bcochell@po_TUDE_box.com> wrote:

>anonymizer wrote:
>> I'm a replay newbie,
>>
>> I had bought this from ebay,it was a factory refurb that also had it's drive
>> upgraded to 250 .I then called and subscribed it to a lifetime,{I mentioned
>> that the drive was upgraded to replay tv }they didn't say anything to me
>> about that ?? they excepted my subscription.
>> I had this going for about a week or so but now it's now stuck in a sort of
>> boot-loop.
>
>Try unplugging EVERYTHING for a few minutes, ESPECIALLY the power
>and Ethernet connections.

Power should be enough. No power is transmitted over ethernet (it can
be if over phoneline, though).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 12:23:12 AM

Actually it DOES make a difference. I can't tell you why, but RTV says
it's important and, when I had a 4160 that needed a full reboot, it
didn't work till I unplugged the ethernet connection too.
I have noticed on an eMachines desktop PC, that the LED on the NIC
still blinked even though the PC was unlugged while an ethernet cable
was plugged in. I can't explain that one either.

From:Mark Lloyd
mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx

> On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 11:40:35 -0700, Bill Cochell
> <bcochell@po_TUDE_box.com> wrote:
>
>> anonymizer wrote:
>>> I'm a replay newbie,
>>>
>>> I had bought this from ebay,it was a factory refurb that also had
>>> it's drive upgraded to 250 .I then called and subscribed it to a
>>> lifetime,{I mentioned that the drive was upgraded to replay tv
>>> }they didn't say anything to me about that ?? they excepted my
>>> subscription.
>>> I had this going for about a week or so but now it's now stuck in a
>>> sort of boot-loop.
>>
>> Try unplugging EVERYTHING for a few minutes, ESPECIALLY the power
>> and Ethernet connections.
>
> Power should be enough. No power is transmitted over ethernet (it can
> be if over phoneline, though).
>
> --
> 62 days until the winter solstice celebration
>
> Mark Lloyd
> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 12:21:43 AM

I've tried disconnecting all inputs and ethernet with power cable unplugged
overnight and it still won't get me past that prompt.... {channel
guide,replay guide or menu prompt}....
just after the welcome to replay tv screen.

I also tried checking my drive,I downloaded the powermax from the maxter
site pulled out what appeared to be a brand new WD 2500 caviar drive and it
past the complete test {took some time to complete that test though}

not sure what to do now ?,do I load something on there now.....if so where
can I download it from
thanks,

--
William S.
"BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message
> Actually it DOES make a difference. I can't tell you why, but RTV says
> it's important and, when I had a 4160 that needed a full reboot, it didn't
> work till I unplugged the ethernet connection too.
> I have noticed on an eMachines desktop PC, that the LED on the NIC still
> blinked even though the PC was unlugged while an ethernet cable was
> plugged in. I can't explain that one either.
>
> From:Mark Lloyd
> mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx
>
>> On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 11:40:35 -0700, Bill Cochell
>> <bcochell@po_TUDE_box.com> wrote:

>>> Try unplugging EVERYTHING for a few minutes, ESPECIALLY the power
>>> and Ethernet connections.
>>
>> Power should be enough. No power is transmitted over ethernet (it can
>> be if over phoneline, though).
>>
>> --
>> 62 days until the winter solstice celebration
>>
>> Mark Lloyd
>> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Anonymous
October 26, 2004 5:17:34 AM

and the hits just keep on coming....

Well,got ahold of Mike who was allot of help,told me what image to get and
where to get it....
and I got a bad sector read during the loading of the image 2 separate
times.
I then began to think that this drive that only just passed the powermax
test earlier today may still be on it's way out and gave it the test
again....the basic test finished and the msg I got was a recommended
Advanced and thorough test....and low and behold the drive failed that test
..

the drive is a brand new WD 2500jb-00fua0,
I just sent an email to the guy I bought the replay from a few weeks ago,
will he have to send the drive back with a receipt....or can I just send
this back to WD with an RMA for replacement ?? {not sure how this works ?}

need some advice....

--
William S.
"anonymizer" <billfish33@mail.anonymizer.com> wrote in message
> I've tried disconnecting all inputs and ethernet with power cable
> unplugged overnight and it still won't get me past that prompt....
> {channel guide,replay guide or menu prompt}....
> just after the welcome to replay tv screen.
>
> I also tried checking my drive,I downloaded the powermax from the maxter
> site pulled out what appeared to be a brand new WD 2500 caviar drive and
> it past the complete test {took some time to complete that test though}
>
> not sure what to do now ?,do I load something on there now.....if so where
> can I download it from
> thanks,
>
> --
> William S.
> "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message
>> Actually it DOES make a difference. I can't tell you why, but RTV says
>> it's important and, when I had a 4160 that needed a full reboot, it
>> didn't work till I unplugged the ethernet connection too.
>> I have noticed on an eMachines desktop PC, that the LED on the NIC still
>> blinked even though the PC was unlugged while an ethernet cable was
>> plugged in. I can't explain that one either.
>>
>> From:Mark Lloyd
>> mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx

>>> Power should be enough. No power is transmitted over ethernet (it can
>>> be if over phoneline, though).
>>>
>>> --
>>> 62 days until the winter solstice celebration
>>>
>>> Mark Lloyd
>>> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Anonymous
October 26, 2004 5:49:41 AM

anonymizer wrote:
> and the hits just keep on coming....
>
> Well,got ahold of Mike who was allot of help,told me what image to get and
> where to get it....
> and I got a bad sector read during the loading of the image 2 separate
> times.
> I then began to think that this drive that only just passed the powermax
> test earlier today may still be on it's way out and gave it the test
> again....the basic test finished and the msg I got was a recommended
> Advanced and thorough test....and low and behold the drive failed that test
> .
>
> the drive is a brand new WD 2500jb-00fua0,
> I just sent an email to the guy I bought the replay from a few weeks ago,
> will he have to send the drive back with a receipt....or can I just send
> this back to WD with an RMA for replacement ?? {not sure how this works ?}
>
> need some advice....

Go to the WD website and put the serial number in and the error code the
WD utility gives you. You will get an RMA number. If you give them a CC
number they will ship you a new one immediately and not wait for the
return. If the guy you bought it from mods Replays as a business, you
might pursuade him to send you a replacement already imaged.
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 9:22:30 AM

I believe that once you opened the box you voided the warranty but I
could be (hopefully for your sake) wrong.

From:anonymizer
billfish33@mail.anonymizer.com

> and the hits just keep on coming....
>
> Well,got ahold of Mike who was allot of help,told me what image to
> get and where to get it....
> and I got a bad sector read during the loading of the image 2 separate
> times.
> I then began to think that this drive that only just passed the
> powermax test earlier today may still be on it's way out and gave it
> the test again....the basic test finished and the msg I got was a
> recommended Advanced and thorough test....and low and behold the
> drive failed that test .
>
> the drive is a brand new WD 2500jb-00fua0,
> I just sent an email to the guy I bought the replay from a few weeks
> ago, will he have to send the drive back with a receipt....or can I
> just send this back to WD with an RMA for replacement ?? {not sure
> how this works ?}
> need some advice....
>
> --
> William S.
> "anonymizer" <billfish33@mail.anonymizer.com> wrote in message
>> I've tried disconnecting all inputs and ethernet with power cable
>> unplugged overnight and it still won't get me past that prompt....
>> {channel guide,replay guide or menu prompt}....
>> just after the welcome to replay tv screen.
>>
>> I also tried checking my drive,I downloaded the powermax from the
>> maxter site pulled out what appeared to be a brand new WD 2500
>> caviar drive and it past the complete test {took some time to
>> complete that test though} not sure what to do now ?,do I load
>> something on there now.....if so
>> where can I download it from
>> thanks,
>>
>> --
>> William S.
>> "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message
>>> Actually it DOES make a difference. I can't tell you why, but RTV
>>> says it's important and, when I had a 4160 that needed a full
>>> reboot, it didn't work till I unplugged the ethernet connection too.
>>> I have noticed on an eMachines desktop PC, that the LED on the NIC
>>> still blinked even though the PC was unlugged while an ethernet
>>> cable was plugged in. I can't explain that one either.
>>>
>>> From:Mark Lloyd
>>> mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx

Anonymous
October 26, 2004 12:18:37 PM

He's talking about the hard drive warranty, not the Replay's warranty.

Regards,

Margaret

>I believe that once you opened the box you voided the warranty but I could
>be (hopefully for your sake) wrong.
>
> From:anonymizer
> billfish33@mail.anonymizer.com
>
>> and the hits just keep on coming....
>>
>> Well,got ahold of Mike who was allot of help,told me what image to
>> get and where to get it....
>> and I got a bad sector read during the loading of the image 2 separate
>> times.
>> I then began to think that this drive that only just passed the
>> powermax test earlier today may still be on it's way out and gave it
>> the test again....the basic test finished and the msg I got was a
>> recommended Advanced and thorough test....and low and behold the
>> drive failed that test .
>>
>> the drive is a brand new WD 2500jb-00fua0,
>> I just sent an email to the guy I bought the replay from a few weeks
>> ago, will he have to send the drive back with a receipt....or can I
>> just send this back to WD with an RMA for replacement ?? {not sure
>> how this works ?}
>> need some advice....
>>
>> --
>> William S.
>> "anonymizer" <billfish33@mail.anonymizer.com> wrote in message
>>> I've tried disconnecting all inputs and ethernet with power cable
>>> unplugged overnight and it still won't get me past that prompt....
>>> {channel guide,replay guide or menu prompt}....
>>> just after the welcome to replay tv screen.
>>>
>>> I also tried checking my drive,I downloaded the powermax from the
>>> maxter site pulled out what appeared to be a brand new WD 2500
>>> caviar drive and it past the complete test {took some time to
>>> complete that test though} not sure what to do now ?,do I load something
>>> on there now.....if so
>>> where can I download it from
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> --
>>> William S.
>>> "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
October 26, 2004 11:09:06 PM

Ahh! Got it now - that makes more sense.

From:Margaret Wilson
twokatmew@nospam.msn.com

> He's talking about the hard drive warranty, not the Replay's warranty.
>
> Regards,
>
> Margaret
>
> "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message
>> I believe that once you opened the box you voided the warranty but I
>> could be (hopefully for your sake) wrong.
>>
>> From:anonymizer
>> billfish33@mail.anonymizer.com
>>
>>> and the hits just keep on coming....
>>>
>>> Well,got ahold of Mike who was allot of help,told me what image to
>>> get and where to get it....
>>> and I got a bad sector read during the loading of the image 2
>>> separate times.
>>> I then began to think that this drive that only just passed the
>>> powermax test earlier today may still be on it's way out and gave
>>> it the test again....the basic test finished and the msg I got was a
>>> recommended Advanced and thorough test....and low and behold the
>>> drive failed that test .
>>>
>>> the drive is a brand new WD 2500jb-00fua0,
>>> I just sent an email to the guy I bought the replay from a few weeks
>>> ago, will he have to send the drive back with a receipt....or can I
>>> just send this back to WD with an RMA for replacement ?? {not sure
>>> how this works ?}
>>> need some advice....
>>>
>>> --
>>> William S.
>>> "anonymizer" <billfish33@mail.anonymizer.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
October 27, 2004 3:09:48 AM

well ,I decided to contact the seller and he turned out to be fantastic to
deal with !,he said I should have just gotten in touch with him right off
the bat, I'm sending him my rtv and he's going to replace the drive and make
sure theres no problems with the RTV itself.
he supposedly sells allot of these on ebay ?
I was able to retest the drive with the WD diagnostic tool,it found but
fixed errors and I was then able to finally load and patch the image....but
the drive does make some high pitch sounds when testing and running the
patch...and I just feel it's best to have the drive replaced while someone's
offering to do so !!!

thanks for everyones help,and I'm sure once I get my new drive
installed....I'll be back with many more ?'s !!

--
William S.
"Tony D" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> anonymizer wrote:
>> and the hits just keep on coming....
>>
>> Well,got ahold of Mike who was allot of help,told me what image to get
>> and where to get it....
>> and I got a bad sector read during the loading of the image 2 separate
>> times.
>> I then began to think that this drive that only just passed the powermax
>> test earlier today may still be on it's way out and gave it the test
>> again....the basic test finished and the msg I got was a recommended
>> Advanced and thorough test....and low and behold the drive failed that
>> test .
>>
>> the drive is a brand new WD 2500jb-00fua0,
>> I just sent an email to the guy I bought the replay from a few weeks ago,
>> will he have to send the drive back with a receipt....or can I just send
>> this back to WD with an RMA for replacement ?? {not sure how this works
>> ?}
>>
>> need some advice....
>>

> Go to the WD website and put the serial number in and the error code the
> WD utility gives you. You will get an RMA number. If you give them a CC
> number they will ship you a new one immediately and not wait for the
> return. If the guy you bought it from mods Replays as a business, you
> might pursuade him to send you a replacement already imaged.
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 6:50:52 AM

anonymizer wrote:

> well ,I decided to contact the seller and he turned out to be fantastic to
> deal with !,he said I should have just gotten in touch with him right off
> the bat, I'm sending him my rtv and he's going to replace the drive and make
> sure theres no problems with the RTV itself.
> he supposedly sells allot of these on ebay ?
> I was able to retest the drive with the WD diagnostic tool,it found but
> fixed errors and I was then able to finally load and patch the image....but
> the drive does make some high pitch sounds when testing and running the
> patch...and I just feel it's best to have the drive replaced while someone's
> offering to do so !!!
>
> thanks for everyones help,and I'm sure once I get my new drive
> installed....I'll be back with many more ?'s !!

Let us know how it works out. We may want to do business with him, if
he's honest -- and it sounds like he is.
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 6:50:53 AM

will do !
as soon as I get it back..

--
William S.
"mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> anonymizer wrote:
>>
>> well ,I decided to contact the seller and he turned out to be fantastic
>> deal with !,he said I should have just gotten in touch with him right off
>> the bat, I'm sending him my rtv and he's going to replace the drive and
>> make
>> sure theres no problems with the RTV itself.
>> he supposedly sells allot of these on ebay ?
>> I was able to retest the drive with the WD diagnostic tool,it found but
>> fixed errors and I was then able to finally load and patch the
>> image....but
>> the drive does make some high pitch sounds when testing and running the
>> patch...and I just feel it's best to have the drive replaced while
>> someone's
>> offering to do so !!!
>>
>> thanks for everyones help,and I'm sure once I get my new drive
>> installed....I'll be back with many more ?'s !!
>

> Let us know how it works out. We may want to do business with him, if
> he's honest -- and it sounds like he is.
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 2:46:40 PM

mcp6453 wrote:

> anonymizer wrote:
>
>>well ,I decided to contact the seller and he turned out to be fantastic to
>>deal with !,he said I should have just gotten in touch with him right off
>>the bat, I'm sending him my rtv and he's going to replace the drive and make
>>sure theres no problems with the RTV itself.
>>he supposedly sells allot of these on ebay ?
>>I was able to retest the drive with the WD diagnostic tool,it found but
>>fixed errors and I was then able to finally load and patch the image....but
>>the drive does make some high pitch sounds when testing and running the
>>patch...and I just feel it's best to have the drive replaced while someone's
>>offering to do so !!!
>>
>>thanks for everyones help,and I'm sure once I get my new drive
>>installed....I'll be back with many more ?'s !!
>

> Let us know how it works out. We may want to do business with him, if
> he's honest -- and it sounds like he is.

I remember a "What's My Line" show some years ago where the contestent
was the CEO of a company that makes a device called an "Imnpactograph"

This is a device that has steel balls held in place by springs, by
adjusting the tension on the springs they can adjust the amount of
impact (measured in "G" force) that is required to knock loose.

They put together three test packages

1: Was shipped parcial post
1: was shipped parcial post but all six sides were plastered with
warnings "Fragile, handel with care, fragile product warning"

The thrid package,,,, Well that one they handled on stage, they tossed
it back and forth, dropped it on the floor, climbed a six foot step
ladder and dropped it (about 8 feet) onto the floor.

Each package had a set of impactograph devices in it (different
senestivities)

They first opened the one they abused in the studio... And noted 4 of
the 5 devices had been trigured.

Then they opened the one send w/o warnings and found..... Same thing

Then they opened the one with the warnings and found.......Same thing

It takes about a six inch drop onto a hard surfact to total a hard drive
(I have tested it) perhaps a foot if it's a laptop HD

I mean TOTAL, not just damage

So... it is very possible your vendor shipped a system that was 100%
working and the damage was done in shipping
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 3:33:30 PM

Interesting thing about dropping hard drives...

I have a Dell hard-drive based MP3 player, and it had gotten stuck in
what they call Rescue Mode--it wouldn't go to the usual menus, just to a
Rescue Mode menu, and then a "Hard drive problem" screen. It's a little
larger than a deck of cards, but relatively flat and rectangular.

After I had arranged for a replacement, I tried something that had been
recommend on a Dell-sponsored forum by a Dell tech. I dropped the player
flat onto a hard surface from 6 to 8 inches. Guess what--IT FIXED IT. It
worked perfectly after that, although I stil returned it for a
replacement just in case.

Supposedly, they had gotten a bad supply of hard drives, which were
prone to physically getting "stuck"--I'm not sure how. Verrrry strange.

Jerry

John in Detroit wrote:
> mcp6453 wrote:
>
>> anonymizer wrote:
>>
>>> well ,I decided to contact the seller and he turned out to be
>>> fantastic to
>>> deal with !,he said I should have just gotten in touch with him right
>>> off
>>> the bat, I'm sending him my rtv and he's going to replace the drive
>>> and make
>>> sure theres no problems with the RTV itself.
>>> he supposedly sells allot of these on ebay ?
>>> I was able to retest the drive with the WD diagnostic tool,it found but
>>> fixed errors and I was then able to finally load and patch the
>>> image....but
>>> the drive does make some high pitch sounds when testing and running the
>>> patch...and I just feel it's best to have the drive replaced while
>>> someone's
>>> offering to do so !!!
>>>
>>> thanks for everyones help,and I'm sure once I get my new drive
>>> installed....I'll be back with many more ?'s !!
>>

>> Let us know how it works out. We may want to do business with him, if
>> he's honest -- and it sounds like he is.
>

> I remember a "What's My Line" show some years ago where the contestent
> was the CEO of a company that makes a device called an "Imnpactograph"
>
> This is a device that has steel balls held in place by springs, by
> adjusting the tension on the springs they can adjust the amount of
> impact (measured in "G" force) that is required to knock loose.
>
> They put together three test packages
>
> 1: Was shipped parcial post
> 1: was shipped parcial post but all six sides were plastered with
> warnings "Fragile, handel with care, fragile product warning"
>
> The thrid package,,,, Well that one they handled on stage, they tossed
> it back and forth, dropped it on the floor, climbed a six foot step
> ladder and dropped it (about 8 feet) onto the floor.
>
> Each package had a set of impactograph devices in it (different
> senestivities)
>
> They first opened the one they abused in the studio... And noted 4 of
> the 5 devices had been trigured.
>
> Then they opened the one send w/o warnings and found..... Same thing
>
> Then they opened the one with the warnings and found.......Same thing
>
> It takes about a six inch drop onto a hard surfact to total a hard drive
> (I have tested it) perhaps a foot if it's a laptop HD
>
> I mean TOTAL, not just damage
>
> So... it is very possible your vendor shipped a system that was 100%
> working and the damage was done in shipping
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 8:27:38 PM

Jerry Slaff wrote:

> Interesting thing about dropping hard drives...
>
> I have a Dell hard-drive based MP3 player, and it had gotten stuck in
> what they call Rescue Mode--it wouldn't go to the usual menus, just to a
> Rescue Mode menu, and then a "Hard drive problem" screen. It's a little
> larger than a deck of cards, but relatively flat and rectangular.
>
> After I had arranged for a replacement, I tried something that had been
> recommend on a Dell-sponsored forum by a Dell tech. I dropped the player
> flat onto a hard surface from 6 to 8 inches. Guess what--IT FIXED IT. It
> worked perfectly after that, although I stil returned it for a
> replacement just in case.

I've killed hard drives with a six inch drop (Hitachi 160 Gig)

I still have the HD if you wish to try and restore it by the way

There is a name for that, dropping it six to 12 inches on to a hard
surface, It's called the ATARI repair

You see, back in the days of the big computer wars, Atari v/s Commodore
(ST V/S Amiga) with Jack Trammel, late of Commodore, now of Atari (Man
was that a sweet deal,,,,,, He bought Atari stock while he worked for
Commodore, did Commodore some serious damage and jumped to the company
which by that time, he basically owned) Bad mouthing Amiga with some of
the strangest things I've ever heard (IE: the resolution was not high
enough for serious business use,,, At the time VGA was just taking over
from herculse (Monochrome) and the Amiga's lowest resolution was VGA,
(Highest was.... Well,,,, A lot better) and claiming it did not have the
power (Today's super fast computers would have problems keeping up with
an Amiga of that era)

Well.... Turns out Atari had socketed many of the chips in the Super
Turkey, ur, ST, and they used cheap sockets. So, the chips worked loose
(this does not happen if you use ZIF sockets cause when you lock those
baby's down... They are LOCKED!) So a local computer expert (Local to
me, we belonged to the same club in fact) and ham radio operator (that's
the kind of club) came up with the bright idea of a six inch drop...
This re-sat the chips and fixed the computer.

I too have a couple of custom simple repairs that I figured out how to
do on computers, Took me just about 1-2 minutes, Took the regular
techs, 20-30 to do the same job and I never broke the service seal!!!

What can I say... Happens when you know your business. Sheldon Leamon
was the Atari man if memory serves. he also reviewed Amigas Much of
what is posted above about the differences is from him. The rest is
expierence, I sold Amigas
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 8:27:39 PM

In article <_bugd.19241$xA5.5100@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>,
John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> There is a name for that, dropping it six to 12 inches on to a hard
> surface, It's called the ATARI repair

No no, it's the Apple III repair.
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 1:22:33 AM

William S.
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
> In article <_bugd.19241$xA5.5100@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>,
> John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> There is a name for that, dropping it six to 12 inches on to a hard
>> surface, It's called the ATARI repair
>
> No no, it's the Apple III repair.

Anonymous
November 1, 2004 1:36:52 AM

I got it back and it's working perfectly !!
I have a few questions though {being an absolute newbie with this type of
recorder}
1) am I supposed to use JUST the replay remote from now on even when viewing
live TV
?,{I just want to make sure I'm not misusing the replay in anyway}
2) I'm using the Ethernet connection,with a linksys wireless router
connected from one of it's 4 ports 100' away in a room where the replay is
located to a linksys 5 port switch.From 1 of the switch's ports I have an
Ethernet cable going to the replay,from another one of the switches ports I
have to use a linksys wireless access point for better connection in that
room so far away from my router.,the router is setup to use DHCP,Someone had
mentioned reconfiguring my router to use a setting called "STATIC" DHCP
?,I'm not too savvy on how to do this ?
can anyone help with this reconfiguring of the linksys router {WRT 55AG} !!

and thanks !

--
> will do !
> as soon as I get it back..
>

> --
> William S.
> "mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> anonymizer wrote:
>>>
>>> well ,I decided to contact the seller and he turned out to be fantastic
>>> deal with !,he said I should have just gotten in touch with him right
>>> off
>>> the bat, I'm sending him my rtv and he's going to replace the drive and
>>> make
>>> sure theres no problems with the RTV itself.
>>> he supposedly sells allot of these on ebay ?
>>> I was able to retest the drive with the WD diagnostic tool,it found but
>>> fixed errors and I was then able to finally load and patch the
>>> image....but
>>> the drive does make some high pitch sounds when testing and running the
>>> patch...and I just feel it's best to have the drive replaced while
>>> someone's
>>> offering to do so !!!
>>>
>>> thanks for everyones help,and I'm sure once I get my new drive
>>> installed....I'll be back with many more ?'s !!
>>

>> Let us know how it works out. We may want to do business with him, if
>> he's honest -- and it sounds like he is.

Anonymous
November 1, 2004 1:36:53 AM

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:36:52 -0500, "anonymizer"
<billfish33@mail.anonymizer.com> wrote:

>I got it back and it's working perfectly !!
>I have a few questions though {being an absolute newbie with this type of
>recorder}
>1) am I supposed to use JUST the replay remote from now on even when viewing
>live TV

Yes, when viewing live TV through the Replay. Leave the source
component(s) "on" at all times, and don't use thier controls anymore
(that would interfere with automatic recordings).

>?,{I just want to make sure I'm not misusing the replay in anyway}
>2) I'm using the Ethernet connection,with a linksys wireless router
>connected from one of it's 4 ports 100' away in a room where the replay is
>located to a linksys 5 port switch.From 1 of the switch's ports I have an
>Ethernet cable going to the replay,from another one of the switches ports I
>have to use a linksys wireless access point for better connection in that
>room so far away from my router.

A wireless connection will work (although it may limit video
streaming), anthouth a wired connection would be faster and more
reliable.

>,the router is setup to use DHCP,Someone had
>mentioned reconfiguring my router to use a setting called "STATIC" DHCP
>?,I'm not too savvy on how to do this ?
>can anyone help with this reconfiguring of the linksys router {WRT 55AG} !!
>
>and thanks !

The problem with DHCP is that the Replay will keep getting different
local addresses, which can interrupt connections and cause problems
(like a Replay will stop using the network until rebooted). Mine were
requiring rebooting 2-3 times a week. Setting a static IP on the
Replay will not fix it. The Replay requests different IPs anyway,

I'm not sure about that model, but my Linksys does NOT support static
DHCP. Supposedly, Netgear routers do. I disabled DHCP on mine and used
the program from http://ruttkamp.gmxhome.de/dhcpsrv/dhcpsrv.htm You
run this program on any computer on your network and it acts as a DHCP
server, but will remember the MAC (hardware) addresses of clients, and
sends only one particular IP to them. My 3 Replays (which required
rebooting 2-3 times a week each) have required NO reboots since I set
up the program, on Oct 1.

This can also help to avoid the Replay breaking the port forwarding
you set up for IVS.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 9:54:09 AM

In article <rndbo0dkj1ma7uvehunbithln0pft30crj@4ax.com>,
Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

> I'm not sure about that model, but my Linksys does NOT support static
> DHCP.

I *sincerely* doubt that to be the case.

What model is it? Do you have an URL for the documentation?
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 2:08:27 PM

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 06:54:09 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
<elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <rndbo0dkj1ma7uvehunbithln0pft30crj@4ax.com>,
> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure about that model, but my Linksys does NOT support static
>> DHCP.
>
>I *sincerely* doubt that to be the case.
>
>What model is it? Do you have an URL for the documentation?

It's a Linksys BEFW11S4 ver 2.1. THere's a newer version at
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=544&sc...

This feature may be implemented in firmware at some time, but is
definately missing from the latest version.

It could halp a lot just to know what Linksys CALLS that on your
router. Also. he Linksys knowledge base CLAIMS to search by phrases,
but does not. It searches by individual words (meaning you find stuff
you don't want). The phrase "static DHCP" wasn't found in the online
manual for my router, or for the WRT54G.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 2:54:41 PM

my linksys is the WRT55AG {dual band A+G}I'm only using the G right now
though.
Mark :, I just read your reply about setting the replay to manual static ip
will not work ?
{I just did that to mine as per the linksys tech's advice ?}your saying it
still won't work ????
I'll wait till it drops again then I'll download that program you posted !

this is so frustrating,I wonder if a simple firmware upgrade on the part of
the replay could solve these types of problems,is replay even aware of this
problem ?

--
> In article <rndbo0dkj1ma7uvehunbithln0pft30crj@4ax.com>,
> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure about that model, but my Linksys does NOT support static
>> DHCP.
>
> I *sincerely* doubt that to be the case.
>
> What model is it? Do you have an URL for the documentation?

Anonymous
November 1, 2004 3:51:59 PM

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:54:41 -0500, "anonymizer"
<billfish33@mail.anonymizer.com> wrote:

>my linksys is the WRT55AG {dual band A+G}I'm only using the G right now
>though.
>Mark :, I just read your reply about setting the replay to manual static ip
>will not work ?

For what I thing you're saying, it will not. The Replay still requests
a dynamic IP, which gets it confused. That router should have a DHCP
list (shows what IPs are assigned) which will allow you to verify
that.

>{I just did that to mine as per the linksys tech's advice ?}your saying it
>still won't work ????

I can't answer that without knowing WHAT advice you're talking about.
You did WHAT to your WHAT?

>I'll wait till it drops again then I'll download that program you posted !
>
>this is so frustrating,I wonder if a simple firmware upgrade on the part of
>the replay could solve these types of problems,

It probably can.

o computer I have has problems like the Replay.

>is replay even aware of this
>problem ?

Unknown. I usually don't say anything to them. They ignore many
suggestions.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 3:56:02 PM

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 12:51:59 -0600, Mark Lloyd
<mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

>On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:54:41 -0500, "anonymizer"
><billfish33@mail.anonymizer.com> wrote:
>
>>my linksys is the WRT55AG {dual band A+G}I'm only using the G right now
>>though.
>>Mark :, I just read your reply about setting the replay to manual static ip
>>will not work ?
>
>For what I thing you're saying, it will not. The Replay still requests
>a dynamic IP, which gets it confused. That router should have a DHCP
>list (shows what IPs are assigned) which will allow you to verify
>that.
>
>>{I just did that to mine as per the linksys tech's advice ?}your saying it
>>still won't work ????
>
>I can't answer that without knowing WHAT advice you're talking about.
>You did WHAT to your WHAT?
>
>>I'll wait till it drops again then I'll download that program you posted !
>>
>>this is so frustrating,I wonder if a simple firmware upgrade on the part of
>>the replay could solve these types of problems,
>
>It probably can.
>
>o computer I have has problems like the Replay.

Something sent that a little too soon. Above was supposed to begin
with "No".

>>is replay even aware of this
>>problem ?
>
>Unknown. I usually don't say anything to them. They ignore many
>suggestions.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 8:09:02 PM

the linksys tech I spoke with earlier today told me to change the IP in the
replay and make that a static PI {taking it out of auto ,and putting in
manual to do so.}I poked in 192.168.2.125,
he said that would make it a static IP ?.
my laptop uses .101,and my desktop uses .100.
that's the advice I was referring to,the linksys tech was very hard to
understand with his Indian accent.

that static dhcp program you spoke of,any problems with XP-pro ?.is it very
difficult to get going.

thanks,

--
William S.
"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
> On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:54:41 -0500, "anonymizer"
> <billfish33@mail.anonymizer.com> wrote:
>
>>my linksys is the WRT55AG {dual band A+G}I'm only using the G right now
>>though.
>>Mark :, I just read your reply about setting the replay to manual static
>>ip
>>will not work ?
>
> For what I thing you're saying, it will not. The Replay still requests
> a dynamic IP, which gets it confused. That router should have a DHCP
> list (shows what IPs are assigned) which will allow you to verify
> that.
>
>>{I just did that to mine as per the linksys tech's advice ?}your saying it
>>still won't work ????
>
> I can't answer that without knowing WHAT advice you're talking about.
> You did WHAT to your WHAT?
>
>>I'll wait till it drops again then I'll download that program you posted !
>>
>>this is so frustrating,I wonder if a simple firmware upgrade on the part
>>of
>>the replay could solve these types of problems,
>
> It probably can.
>
> o computer I have has problems like the Replay.
>
>>is replay even aware of this
>>problem ?
>
> Unknown. I usually don't say anything to them. They ignore many
> suggestions.
>
> --
> 55 days until the winter solstice celebration
>
> Mark Lloyd
> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 8:09:03 PM

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 17:09:02 -0500, "anonymizer"
<billfish33@mail.anonymizer.com> wrote:

>the linksys tech I spoke with earlier today told me to change the IP in the
>replay and make that a static PI {taking it out of auto ,and putting in
>manual to do so.}I poked in 192.168.2.125,
>he said that would make it a static IP ?.
>my laptop uses .101,and my desktop uses .100.
>that's the advice I was referring to,the linksys tech was very hard to
>understand with his Indian accent.

That's kind of what I expected. It is NOT what I was talking about. It
will not make the Replay work properly. You have to stop the DHCP
server (in the router) from being able to provide multiple addresses
to the Replay.

As I said before, setting a static address in the Replay does NOT stop
it from requesting multiple addresses from the DHCP server.

>that static dhcp program you spoke of,any problems with XP-pro ?

Don't know. I avoid XP. It should work, XP isn't very different from
2000, which I use.

>.is it very
>difficult to get going.
>
>thanks.

It takes a little thought. but works. Do you have a particular
question?

In case it might help, here is my DHCPSERV.INI file (between the lines
of ===):
=======================================
[General]
SUBNETMASK=255.255.255.0
ROUTER_1=192.168.1.1
DNS_1=68.1.208.30
DNS_2=68.1.208.25
NODETYPE=8 ; Hybrid

[Settings]
IPPOOL_1=192.168.1.210-249
IgnoreUnknownClients=1
InstallAsService=1
===============================

Notes (of course this stuff is in the documentation too):

1. Make the line beginning with ROUTER correct for your router. The
one I use should be right for a Linksys router.

2. Change the lines beginning with DNS to the appropriate ones for
your ISP. These values can be found in your router.

3. Additional entries will be made for each computer, once you reboot
it. Afterward, that IP address will always be used.

4. The computer running this program needs a static IP.

5. Don't forget to disable the router's DHCP. This program is an
alternative, that works with Replays.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 11:03:25 PM

In article <ifedo0lsebo2n88mq4o4s1a81mftvi4bvq@4ax.com>,
Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

> >the linksys tech I spoke with earlier today told me to change the IP in the
> >replay and make that a static PI {taking it out of auto ,and putting in
> >manual to do so.}I poked in 192.168.2.125,
> >he said that would make it a static IP ?.
> >my laptop uses .101,and my desktop uses .100.
> >that's the advice I was referring to,the linksys tech was very hard to
> >understand with his Indian accent.
> >

> That's kind of what I expected. It is NOT what I was talking about. It
> will not make the Replay work properly. You have to stop the DHCP
> server (in the router) from being able to provide multiple addresses
> to the Replay.

Um, if the Replay is set to an IP address that's appropriate, it doesn't
matter if the router is also giving out DHCP addresses to a couple
computers on the network.
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 11:40:20 PM

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 20:03:25 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
<elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <ifedo0lsebo2n88mq4o4s1a81mftvi4bvq@4ax.com>,
> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
>
>> >the linksys tech I spoke with earlier today told me to change the IP in the
>> >replay and make that a static PI {taking it out of auto ,and putting in
>> >manual to do so.}I poked in 192.168.2.125,
>> >he said that would make it a static IP ?.
>> >my laptop uses .101,and my desktop uses .100.
>> >that's the advice I was referring to,the linksys tech was very hard to
>> >understand with his Indian accent.
>> >

>> That's kind of what I expected. It is NOT what I was talking about. It
>> will not make the Replay work properly. You have to stop the DHCP
>> server (in the router) from being able to provide multiple addresses
>> to the Replay.
>
>Um, if the Replay is set to an IP address that's appropriate, it doesn't
>matter if the router is also giving out DHCP addresses to a couple
>computers on the network.

The fact that the DHCP server (router) is giving out addresses DOES
matter. The replay software is buggy and will obtain an IP from DHCP
even if set to static. This will change occaisionally, causing loss of
ethernet connectivity until the Replay is rebooted.

Try it. Set your Relay to a static IP for a few weeks. Notice how it
still has problems. Disable the DHCP server in your router. Reboot the
Replay. See if it works OK now.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 2:15:33 AM

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> In article <rndbo0dkj1ma7uvehunbithln0pft30crj@4ax.com>,
> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
>

>>I'm not sure about that model, but my Linksys does NOT support static
>>DHCP.
>

> I *sincerely* doubt that to be the case.
>
> What model is it? Do you have an URL for the documentation?

My daughter's LInksys router does, however if memory serves they call
it something else
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 2:15:34 AM

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 23:15:33 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>
>> In article <rndbo0dkj1ma7uvehunbithln0pft30crj@4ax.com>,
>> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
>>

>>>I'm not sure about that model, but my Linksys does NOT support static
>>>DHCP.
>>

>> I *sincerely* doubt that to be the case.
>>
>> What model is it? Do you have an URL for the documentation?
>>

>My daughter's LInksys router does, however if memory serves they call
>it something else

That would be useful information, especially if it included the name
Linksys gave to that feature.

The Linksys knowledge base is unhelpful. A search for "static DHCP"
gives plenty of entries, which would help if it actually searched for
phrases like it says it does.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 6:44:32 AM

FWIW, Netgear calls it "address reservation" which is still DHCP but any
request from a specific MAC will always be given the same IP. So, if the
RTV makes more than one request it will always be given the same ID as
it's MAC never changes.

From:John in Detroit
Blanked@sbcglobal.net

> Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>
>> In article <rndbo0dkj1ma7uvehunbithln0pft30crj@4ax.com>,
>> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
>>

>>> I'm not sure about that model, but my Linksys does NOT support
>>> static DHCP.
>>

>> I *sincerely* doubt that to be the case.
>>
>> What model is it? Do you have an URL for the documentation?
>>

> My daughter's LInksys router does, however if memory serves they call
> it something else
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 12:46:38 PM

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 03:44:32 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
wrote:

>FWIW, Netgear calls it "address reservation" which is still DHCP but any
>request from a specific MAC will always be given the same IP. So, if the
>RTV makes more than one request it will always be given the same ID as
>it's MAC never changes.

Any how many devices it will support?

>From:John in Detroit
>Blanked@sbcglobal.net
>
>> Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

>>> I *sincerely* doubt that to be the case.
>>>
>>> What model is it? Do you have an URL for the documentation?
>>>

>> My daughter's LInksys router does, however if memory serves they call
>> it something else

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 1:20:36 PM

Mark Lloyd wrote:

>>My daughter's LInksys router does, however if memory serves they call
>>it something else
>

> That would be useful information, especially if it included the name
> Linksys gave to that feature.

The problem is that not only am I not posting through my daughter's
linksys (And thus do not have access it it's menus) I'm not even on my
D-Link at the moment (I'm on dial up)

I think they use somethign like "Fixed IP" but if you look through the
menus, you will find the DCHP menu, and if you find any option that
assoicates a specific IP address with a specific MAC address.

THAT is the one you are looking for (I too tried the knowledge base w/o
success... Why can't they simply put the owner's manual on line)
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 1:20:37 PM

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 10:20:36 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>

>>>My daughter's LInksys router does, however if memory serves they call
>>>it something else
>>

>> That would be useful information, especially if it included the name
>> Linksys gave to that feature.
>
>The problem is that not only am I not posting through my daughter's
>linksys (And thus do not have access it it's menus) I'm not even on my
>D-Link at the moment (I'm on dial up)
>
>I think they use somethign like "Fixed IP" but if you look through the
>menus, you will find the DCHP menu, and if you find any option that
>assoicates a specific IP address with a specific MAC address.
>
>THAT is the one you are looking for

Looks like that's the right option. My router (BEFW11S4) definately
does not have that.

I could still not confirm "Fixed IP" on the Linksys site. Possibly
because of the same knowledge base problem I told you about earlier.

>(I too tried the knowledge base w/o
>success... Why can't they simply put the owner's manual on line)

The manuals ARE available online (in .PDF files). You have to search
by router model. For example, the one for the BEFW11S4 is at
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/befw11s4_v4_ug.pdf

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 7:36:21 PM

In article <ajsdo0dkgt2qtntfrqbcp1rrchjjp548d1@4ax.com>,
Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

> The fact that the DHCP server (router) is giving out addresses DOES
> matter. The replay software is buggy and will obtain an IP from DHCP
> even if set to static. This will change occaisionally, causing loss of
> ethernet connectivity until the Replay is rebooted.
>
> Try it. Set your Relay to a static IP for a few weeks. Notice how it
> still has problems.

"Still" has problems? It never did have problems, from day 1. Still
working fine.
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 7:36:22 PM

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 16:36:21 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
<elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <ajsdo0dkgt2qtntfrqbcp1rrchjjp548d1@4ax.com>,
> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
>
>> The fact that the DHCP server (router) is giving out addresses DOES
>> matter. The replay software is buggy and will obtain an IP from DHCP
>> even if set to static. This will change occaisionally, causing loss of
>> ethernet connectivity until the Replay is rebooted.
>>
>> Try it. Set your Relay to a static IP for a few weeks. Notice how it
>> still has problems.
>
>"Still" has problems? It never did have problems, from day 1. Still
>working fine.

Setting a dynamic IP on the Replay works better than setting a static
IP. However, you still have the problem of changing IP addresses. This
can cause problems with network transfers, especially when using IVS
(that's where I first found it).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 10:45:33 PM

It appears that it will only accept 9. Mine is a couple of years old
now so newer ones may allow more.

From:Mark Lloyd
mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx

!