Sign in with
Your question

2 internet connections on 2 different servers

Last response: in Networking
December 18, 2009 4:38:59 PM

Hi guys,
I am a newbie here. I looked around the forum for a similar issue, but it was not found. Hence this post.

My apologies if I am repeating the question or if I have violated any of the forum rules.

The problem is, there are 2 servers in my office, server1 and server2. Currently there is 1 internet connection ‘a’ which is on the primary server, server1.

But now there is new internet connection ‘b’ coming up, I wish to connect it to server2. As a result both servers would have two independent internet connections, however they would still be connected on the same LAN.

Someone please tell me how do I configure the new router(for internet connection ‘b’) to connect on internet from server2 only. There should not be any involvement of server1.

I hope I have been able to explain the problem correctly. Incase of any doubts, please let me know. I would be glad to clear the doubts.

Please guys, I need to address this issue ASAP at my work, my manager is after me.

A quick response would be highly appreciated.

Thank you everyone.

Rahul
December 18, 2009 7:42:33 PM

Hmm. I don't know the scale this is on. So I'll tell you based on what I know and maybe you can figure a way with that.

On server 2, say there is two network cards. The network card that is attached to the network server 1 is on, would have a IP address of that network, but you would erase the Gateway address as that's the door to the internet.

On server 2 on the second network card, internet b would be attached and would pull the address from the router or modem directly. If DHCP was on, you shouldn't have to set it, should just pull. The internet should then be being pulled from the internet b for server 2.
Related resources
!