luis1793

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
hi, this is the best page on the internet for people who loves computer. ok my dilema is that i want to upgrade my cpu but im not sure if i should get the new intel core i7/i5 or the quad core. my budget is 200-300. i have less than a year with an antec 650 psu, gigabyte udp3. im not sure if i should wait so i can accumulate more money or just get my cpu.(i want a quad core but just want to make the best decision) any suggestion on a cpu or a new system set up. thanks

luis1793

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

lol!!! sorry GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775

Core i7 and i5 ARE quad cores. Except specific models of i5 which are dual cores.

Only the Core 2 processors are compatible with socket 775. You can't get an i5 or i7 and keep your current motherboard. You're stuck with getting a core 2 duo or core 2 quad.

What CPU do you have now? If it is decent enough, I would recommend saving up and just buying a new computer in a year. You could probably still use the case and power supply you have now.

luis1793

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

E6400. I WAS THINKING OF SELLING MY MOBO AND CPU TO EARN SOME $$$ AND BUY A NEW MOBO. BUT WAT DO U THINK? THANKS FOR UR ANSWERS

Holy crap! No need to yell! lol.

I think that idea would work. Although you might be limited cost wise. I'd wait for a year. Fermi is coming out at the end of this month (supposedly) and that will reduce the cost on the ATI radeons. AMD is coming out with 6 core CPUs this year and next year they will come out with their "next generation". Soon enough, although I'm not sure when, Intel will come out with their 6 core supposedly at a $1000 price point where their core i7 extreme 4 core processor is currently. A lot of changes can happen in a year, if you can wait, then wait.

The E6400 is kind of slow though. If you are willing to try overclocking, that might hold you over. If not, what are your uses with your computer?

A CPU upgrade is a viable option though with such an old 775 core 2 duo. A new quad core in your pricerange will provide a significant performance increase. What is the rest of your system though(ram, video card etc) and what are your uses? To make sure you get the most out of your new CPU for what you want to do with your computer, we'll have to make sure you aren't being held back by any other components.

Personally, I think the CPU upgrade is the best option for you. Good bang for buck quad core (for intel that is):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115057

luis1793

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

THANKS, i have oc to 3.2 on air, main purpose is gaming, i also need a new ram(could you help me on da) my video card is 9800gt. thanks

For gaming you won't benefit much from a new CPU alone unless you play games that are heavy on more than 2 cores.
I'd wait it out. If you have less than 4GB of ram, an upgrade would definitely help overall and in memory intensive games like Crysis Warhead. What ram do you have now and what games do you play?

luis1793

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

every game that comes out, 3gb of ram at pc 5300, so i think i need a better memory. any suggestions