GooD Mother Board for SLIing 460's AMD

I am looking to SLI two 460 gtx's. I want to run an AMD 955 X4 processor.

What board would suit this setup and keep the price to a minimum. Would 8 and 8 lanes be sufficient?
12 answers Last reply
More about good mother board sliing
  1. You only have 4 choices..

    MSI 980a
    ASUS 980a
    MSI 750a
    ASUS 750a

    2 750as and 2 980as, dual X8 should be enough for the GTX460s though, so choose one, ASUS or MSI.[/quote
  2. those links dont seem to be working.... could you re-post.
  3. Try clicking, not copy and pasting, this forum shortens links automatically ..
  4. for the amd nForce chipset, how does the nameing/branding work as in.... from entry level to better quality.
  5. for example

    nForce 750a...............nForce 980a
  6. The 750a can only do X8/X8 SLI, while the 980a can do X16/X16/X8 Tri-SLI.
  7. I think you should do a little searching if the AM3 platform will bottleneck 2 GTX 460's in sli. The reason I say this is because I just spent about a week tweaking a MSI NF980-G65 motherboard with my Phenom II 955 and 3 GTX 260's. I noticed the bottlenecking when running 3DMARK Vantage. My 955 was overclocked to 3931mhz, 230 x 17, video cards at 705 core and 1175 memory and 4 gigs of 1333 Ripjaws ddr3 and Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. The highest I got my gpu score in performance mode was 25552. So I went and compared to other 3-way sli scores on Futuremark Orb. I think I was the highest with an air cooled 955. The gpu scores with an i7 were on the + or - 30000 range. So I tried to tweak more and couldn't get a better score. So now I google sli phenom bottleneck and
    I find out that probably the 200 pcie controller or something is holding my video cards back. So I just returned the AM3 motherboard ordered a i7 930 and an ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow and the motherboard wont bottleneck cause I'll be pissed. ;)

    I'm running 3 23" monitors for surround gaming. You may not need 3 monitors or 3 way sli but I figure you may want to in the future so I'd pass this info to you.
  8. taso11 said:
    I think you should do a little searching if the AM3 platform will bottleneck 2 GTX 460's in sli. The reason I say this is because I just spent about a week tweaking a MSI NF980-G65 motherboard with my Phenom II 955 and 3 GTX 260's. I noticed the bottlenecking when running 3DMARK Vantage. My 955 was overclocked to 3931mhz, 230 x 17, video cards at 705 core and 1175 memory and 4 gigs of 1333 Ripjaws ddr3 and Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. The highest I got my gpu score in performance mode was 25552. So I went and compared to other 3-way sli scores on Futuremark Orb. I think I was the highest with an air cooled 955. The gpu scores with an i7 were on the + or - 30000 range. So I tried to tweak more and couldn't get a better score. So now I google sli phenom bottleneck and
    I find out that probably the 200 pcie controller or something is holding my video cards back. So I just returned the AM3 motherboard ordered a i7 930 and an ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow and the motherboard wont bottleneck cause I'll be pissed. ;)

    I'm running 3 23" monitors for surround gaming. You may not need 3 monitors or 3 way sli but I figure you may want to in the future so I'd pass this info to you.

    Its probably the Nvidia NF200 chip and Tri-SLI, not the processor AFAIK.

    The problem shouldn't be there for 2 cards though, and an 955Oced should be able to handle 2 GTX460s fine.
  9. That's what I figured. Maybe that is why it was always said that the gains/scaling from a third card aren't worth it. So do you think two gtx 480's won't bottleneck? On a side note, the 955 at 3.93ghz was amazing lol. Pages loaded much quicker and the system was much more responsive than at 3.2ghz. I don't remember the exact core voltage but it was one tick below 1.5 volts and I was using a Noctua NH-D14.
  10. taso11 said:
    That's what I figured. Maybe that is why it was always said that the gains/scaling from a third card aren't worth it. So do you think two gtx 480's won't bottleneck? On a side note, the 955 at 3.93ghz was amazing lol. Pages loaded much quicker and the system was much more responsive than at 3.2ghz. I don't remember the exact core voltage but it was one tick below 1.5 volts and I was using a Noctua NH-D14.

    2 480s will, 2 460s wont for the most part. Your system shouldn't become a lot more responsive with just because of an 730mhz OC, check if your RAM/HT was holding you back.
  11. I was looking at the newer motherboards. The 800 motherboard series chips have caught my eye. For the 2 460's, what mother boards has a good layout for the GPU's and is under $150. You guys say 2 pcie2 lanes with 8X won't hold back the 460's???
  12. TheWolfler said:
    I was looking at the newer motherboards. The 800 motherboard series chips have caught my eye. For the 2 460's, what mother boards has a good layout for the GPU's and is under $150. You guys say 2 pcie2 lanes with 8X won't hold back the 460's???

    800 series? As in AMD 890FX/GX and etc?
    Well they're fine boards but you cant do SLI on them, unless you're willing to do a driver hack, which has a chance of failing and causing you have a pretty paper weight called the GTX460.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Processors SLI AMD Product