Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What graphics card would you recommend @ $230?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
July 29, 2012 11:01:49 PM

As my PC currently stands it's a

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
4GB DDRM 2 RAM
NVIDIA Geforce 9800GT
Asus P5N-D Motherboard
Corsair TX750W PSU (750W)

So I'm looking for a graphics card $230 CDN value; it would be nice if The Witcher 2 runs @ 60FPS w/decent settings. So if anyone can recommend me a good graphics card at around that price range that would be awesome.

Also I would like to know if there's something else to consider:
1) The maximum RAM upgrade I can go up to is 8GB DDRM2 would you recommend that upgrade to run the Witcher 2 better? and if so would the current PSU I have suffice?

2) The Graphics card you recommend, would I need to buy a more powerful PSU? How much Watts are we talking here?

3) Would it be best to keep my current graphics card together with the new card or just remove the old graphics card and replace with the new?

4) Anything else I might have to consider buying, adjusting or upgrading when buying a $230-graphics card? Water Coolant maybe, any Bios adjustments...

Also I made a thread earlier in the Games forum regarding the same nature of question; I deleted it so I apologize to any1 who responded to that thread and hope you don't mind repeating in this thread again.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 30, 2012 5:06:28 AM

start with the CPU to be honest, TW2 is a very intensive game due to it's PC based nature

i would suggest saving up 350-400$ and getting an i5 2500/2500k... then moving on to your graphics card

edit:and getting 8GB ddr3 with my above reccomendation, which is about another 50$ for a decent set
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 90 K Overclocking
July 30, 2012 5:33:52 AM

1) If you are not stuttering, momentarily freezing or other like issues, adding ram will probably not provide a noticable benefit.
2) Your current PSU is capable of at least dual graphics cards, unless you're looking to four way SLI, you're golden there.
3) Even without SLI configuration, you will get some benefit out of the PhysX capabilities of the 9800GT so you might try running it also.
4) I'd be looking at something like the MSI GeForce GTX 570 Twinfrozr II
http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=72480&vpn=N570GTX%20Tw...
I stuck with NVidia so hopefully, you won't have driver installation issues
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 30, 2012 5:35:15 AM

C12Friedman said:
1) If you are not stuttering, momentarily freezing or other like issues, adding ram will probably not provide a noticable benefit.
2) Your current PSU is capable of at least dual graphics cards, unless you're looking to four way SLI, you're golden there.
3) Even without SLI configuration, you will get some benefit out of the PhysX capabilities of the 9800GT so you might try running it also.
4) I'd be looking at something like the MSI GeForce GTX 570 Twinfrozr II
http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=72480&vpn=N570GTX%20Tw...
I stuck with NVidia so hopefully, you won't have driver installation issues


a 570 for a Q6600? that seems a little mismatched in my eyes
m
0
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
a c 150 K Overclocking
July 30, 2012 8:00:07 AM

Overclock+GTX 560TI will be a good match.
m
0
l
July 30, 2012 1:29:43 PM

nna2 said:
start with the CPU to be honest, TW2 is a very intensive game due to it's PC based nature

i would suggest saving up 350-400$ and getting an i5 2500/2500k... then moving on to your graphics card
I was actually about to ask you if I need to buy the latest and powerful motherboards but then I realize that this motherboard also supports CPUs @ 45nm.

So with that in mind (and forgive me I'm not really a technical guru) does this mean it can support some of Intels i7 processors?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 30, 2012 6:40:25 PM

franman said:
I was actually about to ask you if I need to buy the latest and powerful motherboards but then I realize that this motherboard also supports CPUs @ 45nm.

So with that in mind (and forgive me I'm not really a technical guru) does this mean it can support some of Intels i7 processors?


the only i7's that we're based on the 45NM process where LGA1366 socket so no :( 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 30, 2012 9:49:56 PM

Quote:
The 7870 is a good purchase if you can get it for close to your budget, otherwise, i would take a GTX 480/570/560Ti-448 over any 7850.


depending on OP's needs because AMD scales better with hi res, has better multi monitor support, but if he plans to use a single monitor @1080P i would agree
m
0
l
July 30, 2012 11:20:56 PM

Well the monitor I have is a ViewSonic VA902b LCD monitor. It's an ol' LCD monitor and I don't think it supports 1080P. Max resolution it supports is 1280 X 1024.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 30, 2012 11:26:13 PM

franman said:
Well the monitor I have is a ViewSonic VA902b LCD monitor. It's an ol' LCD monitor and I don't think it supports 1080P. Max resolution it supports is 1280 X 1024.

i honestly wouldn't toss much money into a GFX card, my dad's 4850 can still play almost every game maxed on his 1024x1280 monitor
m
0
l
July 30, 2012 11:45:44 PM

Sorry I didn't mention this earlier about the monitor. But still the same rules apply; spend on a i5 2500 processor and how much would you recommend spending for a GFX card?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 30, 2012 11:46:01 PM

i would go for a 6770/7770, that will last a long time at that resolution :) 
m
0
l
July 31, 2012 1:55:12 AM

nna2 are you sure the Asus P5N-D motherboard supports i5 2500K processor?

I've did some research trying to find out if the Asus P5N-D supports the i5 2500K processor; so far I haven't found any site that mentions of the Asus P5N-D with i5 2500K CPU support; however, I did stumble upon this http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/P5N-D.html and it didn't mention of any i5/i7 processors for that motherboard.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 31, 2012 1:57:11 AM

the 2500k is a 1155 CPU, if you using core 2 quad its a 755 CPU so no it won't
m
0
l
!