Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

What is the advantage of ddr3?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
July 28, 2010 6:11:47 PM

Hey,
I recently finished my rig, and my friends are hacking at me for keeping my ddr2 ram... Is ddr3 really going to help me with gaming at all? and is it worth the cost/fps ratio to go to ddr3? truthfully, I really don't care about load times, so if that's all it'll help with, then I really don't care.

More about : advantage ddr3

a b V Motherboard
July 28, 2010 8:21:26 PM

Realistically speaking, at this point in time DDR3 doesn't offer much performance over DDR2, in my opinion. It may land you a few FPS extra here or there, but I still think DDR2 is adequate.

However, with RAM prices as stupid as they are now, you can get DDR3 for about the same price as DDR2, so why would you spend the same amount of money on old technology?

Best solution

July 28, 2010 10:28:41 PM
Share

Martin 71 i have been trying to find the same thing and if there is much difference between 1333 and 1600 speeds. I know this isnt to do with your post but i couldnt help but notice your rig had the same CPU and GPU combination i have been looking at for the release of FFXIV i am sorry to ask this but is there any chance you could run the benchmark and let me know your scores? And also in general, would you recomend the set up? Just for mid level graphics with steady fps? Again im sorry for asking you this without even answering your question, if i knew the answer i would have abviously told you.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 28, 2010 10:47:25 PM

adam1712 said:
Martin 71 i have been trying to find the same thing and if there is much difference between 1333 and 1600 speeds. I know this isnt to do with your post but i couldnt help but notice your rig had the same CPU and GPU combination i have been looking at for the release of FFXIV i am sorry to ask this but is there any chance you could run the benchmark and let me know your scores? And also in general, would you recomend the set up? Just for mid level graphics with steady fps? Again im sorry for asking you this without even answering your question, if i knew the answer i would have abviously told you.


While my setup is a bit different (using a PII X3 720 but it has the 4th core unlocked and running OC'd to 3.2GHz. so performance is about the same as the X4 965) and with a sapphire 1gb. 5770 gets 4100 on the low setting of the bench (My monitor res is lower than the 1920 of the high setting so only tested with low)
July 28, 2010 10:53:57 PM

JDFan said:
While my setup is a bit different (using a PII X3 720 but it has the 4th core unlocked and running OC'd to 3.2GHz. so performance is about the same as the X4 965) and with a sapphire 1gb. 5770 gets 4100 on the low setting of the bench (My monitor res is lower than the 1920 of the high setting so only tested with low)


Thankyou! I am not planning on anything major on graphics so i am going from the low scores anyway, this makes me happy :) 
July 28, 2010 11:07:26 PM

Best answer selected by Martin 71.
July 28, 2010 11:08:44 PM

adam1712 said:
Martin 71 i have been trying to find the same thing and if there is much difference between 1333 and 1600 speeds. I know this isnt to do with your post but i couldnt help but notice your rig had the same CPU and GPU combination i have been looking at for the release of FFXIV i am sorry to ask this but is there any chance you could run the benchmark and let me know your scores? And also in general, would you recomend the set up? Just for mid level graphics with steady fps? Again im sorry for asking you this without even answering your question, if i knew the answer i would have abviously told you.

hey, I don't have 1333 RAM, I have 667 RAM... I'd still be happy to run the benchmark for you if you like :)  link me :)  Oh, and btw, I accidentally selected you as best answer :/ 
July 28, 2010 11:10:31 PM

By the way, I recommend this for my purposes, but if you have an extra $100 go for a 5850, it's got 2x the performance of the 5770. I run Crysis Warhead at ~35 fps @ 1024x768
a b V Motherboard
July 28, 2010 11:21:05 PM

Martin 71 said:
hey, I don't have 1333 RAM, I have 667 RAM... I'd still be happy to run the benchmark for you if you like :)  link me :)  Oh, and btw, I accidentally selected you as best answer :/ 



Here's the Linkie to the benchmark
August 6, 2010 9:39:20 PM

Haha no worries and sorry i havnt been on here for a while... Thanks JDFan for giving him the link, any results Martin? Again im sorry i havnt been on this thread for a while, i thought i was getting email alerts but apparently not :/  Thankyou by the way :) 
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
November 7, 2010 6:38:09 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!