Accessing programs on separate hard drive

I realize I may be totally "up a creek" on this one, but I figured it was worth a shot. Long story cut way, way short, I did something to my main hard drive (120G) and it suddenly wouldn't boot. Repair attempts say nothing is wrong/corrupt, but the OS still won't start. I decided to take an older, much smaller HD (40G) to reformat and make my OS HD.

Unfortunately, now I can't access all the programs installed on my 120G. I realize it's an OS registry issue, but is there any way to get around that? I've seen articles about cloning my hard drive, but because the OS HD is so much smaller, it doesn't seem to be a viable option.
4 answers Last reply
More about accessing programs separate hard drive
  1. You should be able to just browse to most of them in windows explorer. Alot of them should just run. If they dont then you cant do anything else about it. But really if it's saying nothing is wrong, I'm guessing that you're running XP. As such try going into the commandline recovery thing off of the disk and type in
    fixboot
    then
    bootcfg /rebuild

More than likely this will fix it on your other drive.
  2. Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum

Try this with your 1st HDD (120GB).

Open "System Recovery Options" on the repair disk, or OS disk.
    Open up the Command Prompt.Try typing the following commands in order:

1- bootrec /fixmbr and hit enter
    2- bootrec /fixboot and hit enter
    3- bootrec /rebuildbdc and hit enter

Now, for the programs that you had in the 120GB disk, you can't run from your new OS (40GB) this programs need some keys that are installed on the regedit of your old system (old OS system), and if you don't install the program on you new OS, the program may not find the key to start.
  3. you mean /rebuildbcd right?
    That looks like the vista version of what i said.
    Win 7 just finds and fixes these same things.. wait im pretty sure vista did too. I've done that and what I said plenty.
  4. I ran into a similar problem. I purchased a new PC and when I attempted to fire it up with the old HD, windows (7) stalled and was unable to repair its self. Worst of all, it somehow lost the restore point I had just made previously to unplugging the fool thing!

It would seem logical that if you were to locate and initiate the executable/shortcut, the program should load IF the path was correctly typed. I am not a "techie" by any means however this seems logical. The problem I am having is that I cannot locate the executable/shortcut to even begin the process
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Hard Drives HD Systems