Password Issues...Please advise

mapp530

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Hello, my name is Derrick and I run a group home for children in Reno,NV. We were recently donated a laptop from an unnamed source and have been experiencing difficulties with it. There is a password screen prompted as soon as you power up the computer. Is there any way that I can at least get to a home screen to setup guest user accounts? Please Advise. Thank You

You should be able to reset the Password by removing the CMOS battery from the MOBO (and also the laptop battery) or using the CMOS reset jumper if the laptop has one - so that the CMOS is cleared (the CMOS Battery keeps the password and removing all power to it will clear it out) and will reset to the defaults (by default the password is cleared) and then replacing them and booting the system -- It can be a bit difficult to access the CMOS battery on some Laptops so you may need to look online to find out where it is located on that specific laptop.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Is this a password screen for Windows, or is it before that point. If it's a BIOS password, removing the battery for a bit will reset it. If you can get into Windows, there are ways to reset the admin password.

If none of these work, I would consider formatting and installing a new OS on top.

SoibDwp

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
I know some methods.
1. The best and easiest method: Cloce OS and shut down the electricity power of computer. Open your computer box, take out the cmos battery from the mainboard. Then the bios password will be reset to blank. Put it back after a few minutes.
2. Follow some hard tutorials, it is difficult to do. It is better that you are a expert. For example this tutorial: Bypass BIOS Password or Crack CMOS Password? http://passwordreset.org/bios/bypass-bios-password-or-crack-cmos-password.html
3. Use the bios password recovery tool http://www.biospasswordrecovery.com, but that is not free!

So I would suggest you the 1st method. Hope it helps.

kim_51

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010

its a bios password... just remove the bettery from mobo and put it again after some moments.... and also try it by pushing the resent button on mobo...
i think it will help...